Lagging mouse and keyboard, unwanted screen pauses in video applications -- Fix? PO3-600

Esptwo
Esptwo Member Posts: 4 New User
edited January 2021 in Predator Desktops
Friends:

I have a nearly new Acer Predator (specs below). Computer starts off working exactly as expected – superfast in all endeavors. After about 30 minutes, it develops jerky mouse and keyboard lag.

Same with video intensive applications: starts off fine, then begins short and longer screen pauses after about thirty minutes.

After about an hour, I usually reboot and start over because the delays become so prolonged. If I  go away and leave the computer on for several hours, it usually will be frozen or so lagging in response that I have to reboot using the on/off button because the keyboard will not respond to control/alt/delete, nor will the mouse move.

I have updated every driver, video card driver, all Windows 10 updates, etc. multiple times, but the problem will not resolve.

Other bits of info:

I use McAfee antivirus; Windows Defender is turned off

Computer is on an internal home LAN, ethernet hardwired with 4-5 other devices also on Ethernet

I use two matching LG 4k 32" monitors; video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Sorry, I am not a gamer. No idea how it performs there.

Suggestions? Thanks all.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-V063HDU
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Predator PO3-600
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0000000000000000
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc R01-A0, 5/16/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 170.170
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Acer
BaseBoard Product Predator PO3-600
BaseBoard Version V:1.1
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.387"
User Name DESKTOP-V063HDU\esp4
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 10.5 GB
Total Virtual Memory 31.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 22.3 GB
Page File Space 16.0 GB
Page File D:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C03&SUBSYS_2438174B&REV_A1\4&A61F99C&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes
Installed Drivers C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaei.inf_amd64_0674ffaa2792b9b5\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaei.inf_amd64_0674ffaa2792b9b5\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaei.inf_amd64_0674ffaa2792b9b5\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaei.inf_amd64_0674ffaa2792b9b5\nvldumdx.dll
Driver Version 26.21.14.4166
INF File oem40.inf (Section022 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 3840 x 2160 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xA2000000-0xA2FFFFFF
Memory Address 0x90000000-0x9FFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xA0000000-0xA1FFFFFF
I/O Port 0x00004000-0x0000407F
IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967280
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERSTORE\FILEREPOSITORY\NVAEI.INF_AMD64_0674FFAA2792B9B5\NVLDDMKM.SYS (26.21.14.4166, 22.16 MB (23,231,744 bytes), 12/27/2019 6:52 PM)

Best Answers

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    If you fire up Task Manager and perhaps Resource Monitor can you see anything that might be maxing out during the problem times? Something like 100% disk or maxed memory or maxed processor? You might be getting bit by a background task that's doing a lot of disk activity, such as the antivirus, but that should clear back up when it completes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Esptwo
    Billsey's response was very helpful since it sent me to a good place to check on memory usage and overall "drain" on my system. Everything looked pretty good though. It appears the culprit was McAfee virus scan and its constant monitoring. I disabled McAfee and allowed MS Defender to watch over my system, which it has done after a reboot, and all seems to be working well even after 2+ hours of unattended monitoring. Now I need to talk to the McAfee folks to see if there is a way to use their software without encountering the problem I described. I'm guessing that disabling the full-time scan may take care of the problem, but fr now I know how to avoid the issue I had been having. Thank you!

BrummyFan2's answer (see above) appears to have taken care of my issue. I love McAfee, but we are going to have to work something out. I'll be in touch with them. Hopefully a reinstall and not using the full time scan feature will still allow for their protection without causing the mouse lag and stuttering screen pauses.

Thank you both Brummyfan2 and Billsey

Ed
  • tiztrain
    tiztrain Member Posts: 1 New User
    Any other suggestions? I had my Logitech MX Master wireless mouse USB adapter connected to my monitor but have found that it started to have pauses after a while when in use. Looked at the performance on my computer but the CPU is usually sitting below 15%, memory at 50%, disk, network and GPU all really low too.
    After trying to troubleshoot for a while with driver uninstalls and reinstalls and testing out windows settings, I resorted to plugging in the mouse.
    Now I have noticed that my MSF Wireless keyboard (USB dongle plugged into the monitor) is also doing the same thing, not registering key strokes right away and sometimes does not register at all.
    Disabling Avast AV does not fix the issue. Any ideas?
  • billsey
    The USB port feeding the monitor might be set to sleep after some time. When that happens the mouse or keyboard loses a press/movement in order to wake the port back up. Sometimes you can tell the OS to never put the port to sleep, sometimes you live with the first key dropped...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Esptwo
    I must confess that the original fixes I said worked above, ultimately did not, and the lags came back. I did solve the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard lags however. I got rid of the wireless hardware and went back to wired versions of both. Problem went away. I know it's a cop out, but sometimes there may be no other way -- at least I could not find it.

Ed
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, sometimes the best solution is to give up on trying solutions and just KISS.
  • alannesta
    alannesta Member Posts: 2 New User
    Exactly the same issue here. I am playing dota2. After playing for around 30 minutes,  the wireless mouse starts to lag and could not move smoothly.  No fps drops, CPU temp is around 50c, it should be something wrong with the usb port or mouse driver
  • alannesta
    alannesta Member Posts: 2 New User
    UPDATES:
    The solution I find is uninstall predator, acer quick access service and acer care center. Basically all the bloatwares. The lag seems to be gone.
  • Esptwo
    Friends -- I should have earlier reported that I fixed my slow mouse/lockup problem. I stopped using a wireless mouse entirely and went back to a corded mouse. Presto, problem gone!

Thanks all for your time and suggestions.

Ed