8 month old Nitro grinding noise

Vosick
Vosick Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
A few days ago my roughly 8 m/o nitro 5 started making sporattic noises like sliding the teeth of a comb, is there any advice on what it could be (I suspect fans, it dosent come from the hdd) and it sounds more plastic than metalic. While observing the underside while it makes the sound it appears to be coming from where the base meets the monitor. I know it's a pretty vague description but I'm not familiar with the component layout and wasn't sure where to start trouble shooting. 

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    It's pretty easy to do a tear down and check the fan assembly but you are probably still under warranty and doing so may invalidate your warranty. Do you have a sticker over one of the screws on the underside stating "Warranty void if removed"?

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Vosick
    andylb said:
    It's pretty easy to do a tear down and check the fan assembly but you are probably still under warranty and doing so may invalidate your warranty. Do you have a sticker over one of the screws on the underside stating "Warranty void if removed"?
    It's under warranty until may, I got it new and incidentally there aren't any warranty stickers over any of the access points underneath, which seems odd as I've never gotten into the internals. Common sense says use the warranty while it's good to at least ID the problem, but I'm moving in a month and don't want return shipping to end up being an issue. Could just hold of a month if troubleshooting myself proves an issue. 
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
    If the sticker isn't there then you should be ok to do a tear down yourself, what is your exact model number for example AN515-**

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Vosick
    I'll have to take a look when I get home and have the chance. The laptop is a AN515-42-R5ED. As long as I can refrain from any anwanted voiding, wost case I can send it it to be looked at I suppose. 
  • andylb
    Same model as mine the warranty thing varies by country of purchase and you are in the USA so your warranty is not void, so go ahead and troubleshoot
    This is a repasting video for a Nitro 5 and should show you all you need to know 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfoUkIazNA&t=24s

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Vosick
    One of the fans has a little bit of wobble to it in the mount. It looks like enough free room to cause it to go off axis and grind. The fan it's self isnt overtly damaged, or dirty, and it's definitely not the hdd. Appreciate your input bud! 
  • andylb
    Vosick said:
    One of the fans has a little bit of wobble to it in the mount. It looks like enough free room to cause it to go off axis and grind. The fan it's self isnt overtly damaged, or dirty, and it's definitely not the hdd. Appreciate your input bud! 

Nice troubleshooting job. Probably best to get it fixed under warranty

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★