VoltAge Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
My specs: 
Intel Core i5-8300h 2.30 GHz
Nvidia GTX 1060 GB
8 GB RAM
128 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

I am not getting adequate performance out of my laptop in games like AC Odyssey, Rainbow Six Siege, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. In all these games the GPU usage hover around 50-80 % with occasional spikes to 90% . Meanwhile the CPU usage is around 80% with 1 or 2 cores hitting 90% occasionally. In Rainbow Six Siege I get around 80-110 FPS with all settings at low 1080p. But I have seen other people with same specs getting 130 FPS easily on low settings. In AC Odyssey I get on average 40 FPS on medium settings with GPU usage always around 60-70%. I never hit 99% usage in any games I play.
I play with my charger always plugged in. My max GPU Temperature is around 75 degree Celsius and CPU Temperature is around 85 degree Celsius while gaming.

Note: My GPU usage reaches 99% when stress testing in Furmark 3D.

Things I have tried:
Settings power plan mode to High Performance.
Reinstalling Nvidia drivers with DDU.
Using an older driver version.

This is my first thread here, forgive me if I used the wrong format or something like that.

Answers

• VoltAge said:
    My specs: 
    Nvidia GTX 1060 GB
    8 GB RAM
    128 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

I am not getting adequate performance out of my laptop in games like AC Odyssey, Rainbow Six Siege, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. In all these games the GPU usage hover around 50-80 % with occasional spikes to 90% . Meanwhile the CPU usage is around 80% with 1 or 2 cores hitting 90% occasionally. In Rainbow Six Siege I get around 80-110 FPS with all settings at low 1080p. But I have seen other people with same specs getting 130 FPS easily on low settings. In AC Odyssey I get on average 40 FPS on medium settings with GPU usage always around 60-70%. I never hit 99% usage in any games I play.
    I play with my charger always plugged in. My max GPU Temperature is around 75 degree Celsius and CPU Temperature is around 85 degree Celsius while gaming.

Things I have tried:

This is my first thread here, forgive me if I used the wrong format or something like that.

Is your graphic driver is updated to latest version?
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • VoltAge said:
    My specs: 
    Nvidia GTX 1060 GB
    8 GB RAM
    128 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

Things I have tried:

Update your gpu driver to get best performance according to capability of your laptop 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    You've got good temperatures so throttling isn't an issue, check my settings guide below and see if it helps if it doesn't let me know

1. Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people

2. Go to the Nvidia control center and click Manage 3d settings tab, then click the Global Settings tab and change Preferred Graphics processor from Auto select to your Nvidia GPU, do this by clicking the downward arrow to the right of Auto Select and select the Nvidia GPU. Then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Do the same under the Set PhysX Configuration tab

Go to Settings/Power and Sleep/Advanced Power Settings (on the right) make sure High Performance is selected then click Change Plan Settings/Change Advanced Settings, scroll through the list and expand everything to do with your CPU and GPU select Max for any options particularly the ones on the screens below

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• VoltAge

Tinkerer

VoltAge said:
    My specs: 
    Nvidia GTX 1060 GB
    8 GB RAM
    128 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

Things I have tried:

Update your gpu driver to get best performance according to capability of your laptop 
    I have the latest Nvidia driver.

andylb said:
    You've got good temperatures so throttling isn't an issue, check my settings guide below and see if it helps if it doesn't let me know

1. Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people

2. Go to the Nvidia control center and click Manage 3d settings tab, then click the Global Settings tab and change Preferred Graphics processor from Auto select to your Nvidia GPU, do this by clicking the downward arrow to the right of Auto Select and select the Nvidia GPU. Then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Do the same under the Set PhysX Configuration tab

Go to Settings/Power and Sleep/Advanced Power Settings (on the right) make sure High Performance is selected then click Change Plan Settings/Change Advanced Settings, scroll through the list and expand everything to do with your CPU and GPU select Max for any options particularly the ones on the screens below

I have already done the points 2 and 3, as for 1, I am gonna try and reach back to you.

Thanks for the replies.
  • VoltAge

Tinkerer

andylb said:

Tried what you said, but no difference.