Does the G3-605 Power Supply need to be changed when moving from Europe to North America?

richardsplanet
richardsplanet Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I bought a G3-605 Predator with a 500W power supply in Spain a few years back. I am moving to Canada. Can I just plug the system into a 110V socket or do I need to change the power supply?

Looking at the supply, I see it is an FSP500-50AAGA. This seems to be the same supply for North American as well as European models.

The label on the power supply says: 100-127/220-240V - which suggests it can do both, but I can't find a switch to switch between the two. If it was universal, I would expect it to say: 100-240V.

So, before plugging it into a 110V source (and potentially blowing the supply), I would like confirmation that it is safe to do so - or if there is a switch I have to flip, or a jumper I need to set.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    You should just need to change the power cord as appropriate for the wall socket. The power supply senses the voltage and switches automatically between the two voltages. If they said 100-240V someone would expect it to work 180V or something... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • richardsplanet
    richardsplanet Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    You should just need to change the power cord as appropriate for the wall socket. The power supply senses the voltage and switches automatically between the two voltages. If they said 100-240V someone would expect it to work 180V or something... :)
    That is what I would expect, the thing that throws me off is they specify it as 100-127/220-240V instead of 100-240V

I'll give it a try later today and see what happens.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Nominal US voltage is 110-120V, European 220-240V. The ranges they spec meet both of those.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.