What are normal temperatures for a new Nitro 5 i7 AN515-54-77Y5

ForceGaia
ForceGaia Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
So i just bought myself a new Nitro 5 AN515-54-77Y5 (i7 9750H, Nvidia GTX 1650, 8GB RAM). The first thing i noticed was that even on non-demanding loads, it was LOUD. I'm talking the fans ramping up on something like installing an app, with CPU load at 20% and temperatures touching 80C. This is the kind of temperature I'd only expect from playing a game or running many things in parallel.

Granted it did get better once i updated windows, including the feature update from 1809 to 1909, but still not what I'd consider acceptable for a new machine of this caliber.

In this instance all I'm doing is downloading Final Fantasy XIV in the background, with NitroSense, Task Manager and CoreTemp running. Coolboost is on, fans are at Auto, GPU is not being used.
The CPU is at 23% in NitroSense or 36% in task manager. Single cores have gotten as hot as 86C with one even spiking to 90+. Fans keep ramping Coddly. it's also Notable that Nitrosense's temperature is MUCH higher than CoreTemp would suggest (CoreTemp averaging 66.5C while Nitrosense shows 80C)

What is going on here? Is this normal for this machine? Just to reiterate, this machine has barely been powered on for 4 hours, it was purchased today.

I'm seeing scattered reports that my suspicions are correct, and I may be looking to warranty this unit, but i want to see what someone else thinks first.

Also while loading Acer Care center to get my part number for this question, i got some more high fan activity. This was for a very minor spike and it was particularly alarming.

Model: AN515-54-77Y5
Part No: NHQ59EK010 (hoping that's right as it seemed to be half of my S/N)

Best Answer

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    Update the BIOS to v 1.23 there is a processor update in the cumulative update. Link below
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7964?b=1

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ForceGaia
    ForceGaia Member Posts: 2 New User
    So i did the bios update, as well as a nvida driver update. And the fan curve seems to be less aggressive and the the temperatures have gone down a bit.

I'm running aida64 stability test and the cpu is pinned to 100% and the temperature is barely hitting 70C, but in this case the cpu isn't turboing at all. In all the cases where I'm seeing the high temperature the cpu is turboing at around 4Ghz.

The fans ramped as expected During gaming, but during that time the cpu was only turboing to just over 3Ghz.

So I'm determining that the turbo boost is increasing the heat quite a bit more than i expected.

There is the fact that while during that stress test i got a BSOD with UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION but I'm treating that as a separate issue right now. I'll see how it goes for a few days then mark the answer then. If that bsod comes back I'll be warrantying the unit anyways, and then see if i get the same issues with a new unit.
  • AghaFL
    AghaFL Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

any advance ??? 
    i have the same cpu ,nitro 5 i7 9750h rtx 2060 bought it a week ago , and the cpu gets over 98 c° and i get fps drops even on the low settings  ,did u find a solution ??