Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-30BQ - RST with Optane / AHCI

Jandus
Jandus Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have the Acer Aspire 5 (A515-54-30BQ)

Today I decided to update my BIOS from 1.11 to 1.12 and ran into a MAJOR issue.

I no longer can switch my drive mode from "RST with Optane" to "AHCI".  There is no selection at all for it.  It's defaulted to RST with Optane and now I cannot boot Windows.

Is there a reason there's no longer an AHCI option or was this an oversight with 1.12?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Jandus

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    Hello,
    You have to press Ctrl + S to activate this option in the right tab (egydiocoelho's info):

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    Hello,
    You have to press Ctrl + S to activate this option in the right tab (egydiocoelho's info):

France
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    What problem were you trying to fix with v1.12? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jandus

Tinkerer

Hello,

Awesome!  Thanks so much!

Why would Acer made this a 'hidden' option though?  Makes no sense.

What other 'hidden' options are in this BIOS?

Jandus
  • Jandus

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    What problem were you trying to fix with v1.12? Jack E/NJ

Interesting that you asked that.  The answer is 'none'.  But over the years I've learned that it's best to keep things as updated as you can to avoid possible problems.  Maybe that's not always the best way to go about things with regards to BIOS upgrades?

I've also learned that the usual changelogs from updates aren't anywhere near as verbose as they could be.  A BIOS update could vastly improve detection of various memory modules without saying a word in the update notes.

Jandus
  • JackE
    >>>Maybe that's not always the best way to go about things with regards to BIOS upgrades?>>>

Yep, due to much greater risks of side effects and worse than other updates,  BIOS updates are usually 'last resorts' to fix significant issues like really bad performance or major disabling problems that haven't yielded to other fixes. Glad  laurent_14  had the answer for you so soon. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VW123
    VW123 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the same laptop and the issue is that the keyboard backlight isn't working, I have tried so many option to make it work even followed steps to follow from support team and still my keyboard does not light up, Kindly, can anyone please assist me? and my WhatsApp number is +254722711903. Please do not be shy, if you have fixed this problem or know a way around it, please go ahead and just contact me.
  • JackE
    If you have the keyboard backlight symbol on the F9 key, then perhaps the KB backlight connector has come loose from its mainboard socket. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ