Can i use alcohol swabs to clean my heatsink 82% ethanol?

Benny_DK
Benny_DK Member Posts: 24 Networker
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Hello, so im changing my cpu in a couple of days and i was wondering if i could use alcohol swabs 82% ethanol to clean my heatsink for thermal grease and do i have to wait for it to dry out before placing it on the new thermal paste and turning on my cpu?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can use ethanol swabs to help clean the old thermal grease off. It is nice because it dries much faster than water will, but that doesn't mean it has no drying time needed at all. Alcohol acts as a solvent so you want it all dried before putting the new thermal paste down so it won't thin it out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Benny_DK
    hello please answer?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can use ethanol swabs to help clean the old thermal grease off. It is nice because it dries much faster than water will, but that doesn't mean it has no drying time needed at all. Alcohol acts as a solvent so you want it all dried before putting the new thermal paste down so it won't thin it out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Benny_DK
    billsey said:
    Thank you so much :)
  • billsey
    NP, good luck with the upgrade!