MX150 Thermal issue - Swift 3

DuyAnh
DuyAnh Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello

I bought a Swift 3 last year with MX150 + i5 + 8gb ram version. It's actually good with the price, but i have some problem with the GPU. The GPU has locked temp limit at 70C, but the CPU isn't, real problem is CPU and GPU use same heatpipe, so if CPU got high heat also make the GPU will hot too. My CPU can handle some simple game with no problem, but if it reach 70C or higher, it will make the GPU higher than 70C too, then the GPU suddently reduce the frequency until it reach 69C and make so much annoy when i'm play some game or even some "medium work", it's like stuttering each 10 secs when playing. I know the cooling system on this device can handle CPU + GPU at 85C nothing wrong with that, so please update BIOS to increase GPU's temp limit or guide me something to fix this.

Thank you and sorry for my bad English

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    What is full Swift3 model number? SF31x-xx? Both CPU & GPU should not throttle until temperature reaches almost 90*C. What app are you using to measure temperature?  You may have to re-paste CPU and GPU to heat sink with high quality interface such as ARCTIC MX4. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DuyAnh
    My model: Swift 3 SF315 - 51G. I try everything (repaste nano phantom, cooling pad for laptop) still throttle when GPU reach 70C, CPU can reach 90C ,nothing wrong with the CPU but GPU. I check temp by MSI afterburner, GPU-Z, Throttlestop, CPU-Z.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Has the GPU always throttled at 70*C?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DuyAnh
    Yes, while play game, i have to use throttlestop to reduce CPU to 2Ghz which mean it's max temp reach 69C as same as GPU, and GPU run stable at ~1200mhz, not maximum frequency ~1500Mhz.
  • JackE
    >>>Yes, while play game, i have to use throttlestop to reduce CPU to 2Ghz which mean it's max temp reach 69C as same as GPU, and GPU run stable at ~1200mhz, not maximum frequency ~1500Mhz. >>>

I think you've found about the best that can be done with the Swift series. The GPU was intentionally designed to be more temperature limited than the CPU as a power consumption compromise in laptops which did not have the bigger cooling capacities, batteries and power supplies of gaming laptops like the Predator and Nitro series. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mojovader
    mojovader Member Posts: 1 New User
    install asus gpu tweak ii. you can increase temperature limit above 69C. I've set mine to 79 and its running good.
  • yuriminjae
    yuriminjae Member Posts: 1 New User
    mojovader said:
    install asus gpu tweak ii. you can increase temperature limit above 69C. I've set mine to 79 and its running good.
     Finally, a solution that works! Thank you!