AH101 Mixed Reality Headset Error Code 4-1?

Mentlegenxd
Mentlegenxd Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
How can I fix this? I 100% have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port and have looked through the internet and saw people with similar problems but no fix. I have noticed through USB Tree Viewer that when ever I plug my WMR in, it "turns" into a Generic USB Hub 2.1, and device manager says that the USB speed is not fast enough. I'd rather not buy a PCIE USB 3.0 card and RMA is not an option. Links show the headset being plugged in and device manager readings. https://streamable.com/bkh1k

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, I'm not sure how you would get in to repair those connections. The service manual shows some FRUs (Field Replaceable Units) but they all seem to be the mechanical parts, not cables or electronics.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Is there anything plugged into any of the other USB ports? Maybe there's something switching you down to the lower speed, like a keyboard or mouse in a 3.0 port?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mentlegenxd

Tinkerer

I tried to no avail. It still gives me the same error.
  • billsey
    What computer are you on? What motherboard, processor, memory, etc.?
  • Mentlegenxd

Tinkerer

I found the problem with the headset; the cable is broken. I tested the headset on 3 different computers, and got the same result, but when bending the cable, USB Tree View showed another USB hub, this time a USB Superspeed Hub. It worked until I moved the cable. I would try to splice it, but I do not have the experience nor the location of the cable break. Thanks for the help.
  • billsey
    Dang, that's a pain. :( Can you pin the break down any by flexing the cable in various places?
  • Mentlegenxd

Tinkerer

I have cut the cable open near the most likely area where the cables inside could have broken, and the wires seems to be very tightly put together. I plug in the VR and it works, so I'm starting to believe that it is actually a faulty connection for the cable. When I have the motherboard out with the USB cable plugged in, USB Tree Viewer shows the USB SuperSpeed Hub, but whenever I try to put it back together, it doesn't show anymore. 
  • Mentlegenxd

Tinkerer

Never mind, the cable is no doubt the fault, and I have narrowed it down to the area after the visible part when the VR is assembled. The issue is, after stripping the cable and seeing the individual wires, I have not seen any possible problems. 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, I'm not sure how you would get in to repair those connections. The service manual shows some FRUs (Field Replaceable Units) but they all seem to be the mechanical parts, not cables or electronics.
  • Mentlegenxd

Tinkerer

The headset is owned by my brother, and I wonder if there is anyway to contact Acer and see if they can send me a new cable. I don't believe it was my brother's fault that it broke, but the warranty expired. Do you know if I can contact Acer support without the warranty?
  • billsey
    It's a bit more of a hassle to get in touch with them after the warranty has expired, but IIRC if you put your SSID in there's a way that's in smaller type. :) No idea if they have access to parts that aren't on the FRU list however.