How do I install the official Android 6 Marshmallow update to my Acer Liquid Z630S?

Ashdraven
Ashdraven Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Hello! I hope someone can help me with this. I am from the Philippines and have recently bought an Acer Liquid Z630S. Looking at the Product Support page of Acer for my smartphone: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/PH/content/support-product/6452?b=1 the update to Android 6 Marshmallow is available and I have already downloaded it. My question is how to install this on the phone? I tried updating via stock recovery but there is an error regarding the name of the update zip and the installation aborted. I did not change the name of the zip when I downloaded it from the above product support page. Hoping for assistance on this from my fellow Acer community users. Thanks. 

Best Answer

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Answer ✓
    Ashdraven said:
    Any sugestions on this?
    The OS on the product support page is the source code for Asian firmware. You need to download the Android 6 firmware and flash it manually using the SP Flash Tool. Google it: "Acer z630s firmware." You should find “Acer_AV0M0_T04_1.011.00_EMEA_GEN1.rar” or .zip. It contains English and other languages. You also need to find the MTK drivers, firmware manual, and, of course, SP Flash Tool program (latest version 5.1916). If you do this, the flashing procedure will be very simple and take several minutes. This is the easiest way to get Android 6. After flashing, the phone will catch two OTA updates, and the final firmware is 1.017.00.
    If you doubt that you can do this, don't do this. But, I repeat, this is simple if you carefully read everything before the procedure. If you have any questions, you can also write to me in PM.

Answers

• Ashdraven
    Any sugestions on this?
  • [Deleted User]
    Answer ✓
    Ashdraven said:
    Any sugestions on this?
    The OS on the product support page is the source code for Asian firmware. You need to download the Android 6 firmware and flash it manually using the SP Flash Tool. Google it: "Acer z630s firmware." You should find “Acer_AV0M0_T04_1.011.00_EMEA_GEN1.rar” or .zip. It contains English and other languages. You also need to find the MTK drivers, firmware manual, and, of course, SP Flash Tool program (latest version 5.1916). If you do this, the flashing procedure will be very simple and take several minutes. This is the easiest way to get Android 6. After flashing, the phone will catch two OTA updates, and the final firmware is 1.017.00.
    If you doubt that you can do this, don't do this. But, I repeat, this is simple if you carefully read everything before the procedure. If you have any questions, you can also write to me in PM.

• Ashdraven
    Ashdraven said:
    Any sugestions on this?

Thanks conformicide. I will try and find the correct firmware as well as the drivers and the flash tool. I dont want to brick this phone as this is my daily driver but I really want to get the marshmallow os on this. I will try to update it via the flash tool that you explained. Maybe you can point me to where I can find the firmware and other needed files?
  • Ashdraven
    Conformicide are you sure that I can use the EMEA firmware? My current Lollipop firmware is AAP_GEN 1. I have attached a screenshot of my system, looking forward to your further input.
  • [Deleted User]
    Ashdraven said:
    Maybe you can point me to where I can find the firmware and other needed files?
    I can share files for you. It's temporary folder. Please let me know when you finish it.
    Ashdraven said:
    are you sure that I can use the EMEA firmware? My current Lollipop firmware is AAP_GEN 1.
    Yes, I'm sure. I have done this many times and it works. When I bought this smartphone, the firmware was 1.001.00_EMEA_GEN2. He also did not receive Android 6 officially, so I flash the official Android 6 for EMEA_GEN1.
    First firmware:

Current firmware:

In this folder:
    1. Drivers and how install
    2. SP Flash Tool software
    3. Flash manual
    4. Your current firmware - Acer_AV0L0_T04_1.016.00_AAP_GEN1 (If something goes wrong. But everything's will be okay :) )
    5. Latest Android 6 - Acer_AV0M0_T04_1.017.00_EMEA_GEN1
    I used Google Translate to translate instructions. You can ask me if something is complicated.
  • Ashdraven
    Thanks so much for this conformicide, I really appreciate the assist. I'll try the upgrade this weekend and will give you an update as to the resuts. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Ashdraven said:
    I'll try the upgrade this weekend
    So?

• Ashdraven
    Hello conformicide, did not make the upgrade yet, but I have downloaded all the files. I'll probably do it this week. I'll post an update here afterwards.
  • Ashdraven
    Hello Conformicide,
    Finally did the upgrade, at first I encountered an error during the flashing and the phone refuses to boot anymore. I tried it again this time choosing the MTK all in one bin and the flashing went through. Below is my new firmware now:

I encountered a small problem though, when I am on an app where the background is all white, the network signal and battery percentage icons do not change to a dark color, making it look like they have disappeared. See screenshot below:

maybe you can help me with this one too? Hope to hear from you again and many thanks for the previous assist on the Marshmallow upgrade procedure.