Nitro 5 AN515-54 needs to be plugged in to power on

proChino
proChino Member Posts: 3 New User
Just as the title says, but for more detail; I opened the laptop at a little over 60% battery and as I typed the password in, the screen just goes blank and there is no indication that the laptop was on. There were no lights or fans moving - it had just shut itself off. I pressed the power button a few times with no response. I plugged it in and the little yellow light turned on so at least its taking power, but the moment I unplugged the laptop it goes dead. The worst part about this is that this laptop was purchased within 4 days of this issue. I've never dropped it or moved it much and I've kept it in the sleeve when not being used for long periods of time. I'm about to scrub it and return it.

Answers

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @proChino

have tried doing power drain ? 
    1. Unplug the AC power adapter.
    2. Press and hold the Power button down for 15 seconds. This will perform a software battery reset that may resolve the issue.
    3. If your system has a battery pinhole reset on the bottom, insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole and hold the button down for 5 seconds.
      Note: Not all models have a battery pinhole reset.
    4. If the instuctions above did not resolve your issue, please contact Acer support.
    "Hit Accept if its Helpful"
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    @Tom2019 If the battery reset doesn't work there are quite a few other things that we can try. We don't usually direct people to Acer support until we have finished troubleshooting the problem and a battery reset is just step one

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• proChino
    There is no pinhole under this model. MFG Date is 2019/03/30, if that helps. Let me know if you guys need any more info on this model. I really don't want to take it in for repair or exchange for this might take more time than expected and I need a laptop to use for school and work.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Then unplug and press the power button for 12 seconds, wait 15 minutes then plug in and power up

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• proChino
    I've unplugged, held the power button down for 15+ seconds, waited 20+ minutes plugged in, turned on, pulled the power cord, and it shuts off. Issues seem to be unresolved. Thanks for the suggestions though.
  • EvanNave
    EvanNave Member Posts: 1 New User
    hi @proChino. I've just recently purchased an Acer Nitro 5 model and I am experiencing the exact problem you faced 2 years ago. I am desperate to know whether any of the methods were effective to solve your issue. I have to use my laptop for school purposes and can't use it while charging all the time. Please read this comment and lend me some help to resolve this issue. Thank you. Acer needs to take this problem under consideration as I've taken care of my laptop carefully all the time 
  • dimzit
    dimzit Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2021
    I am experiencing exactly the same thing. I have never dropped or damaged this laptop. Have already sent it back once and I've had it back one day. Same thing again, just randomly turns off without warning (unplugged with like 60percent battery). It would not turn on until I plugged charging cable in. Then laptop would turn on... shouldn't be doing this after 2 months with a £1000 laptop.

• macron0
    macron0 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Tom2019 said:
    Hi @proChino

have tried doing power drain ? 
    1. Unplug the AC power adapter.
    2. Press and hold the Power button down for 15 seconds. This will perform a software battery reset that may resolve the issue.
    3. If your system has a battery pinhole reset on the bottom, insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole and hold the button down for 5 seconds.
      Note: Not all models have a battery pinhole reset.
    4. If the instuctions above did not resolve your issue, please contact Acer support.
    "Hit Accept if its Helpful"

proChino said:
    I've unplugged, held the power button down for 15+ seconds, waited 20+ minutes plugged in, turned on, pulled the power cord, and it shuts off. Issues seem to be unresolved. Thanks for the suggestions though.

same gere pls help. i have pinhole either?

• macron0
    macron0 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

ii think i neded to carge the barrty first by leaving it or power a few hours now it powers on/. still no boot devices. coulit it be my cmos bat was empty and i losrt tpm data some how lost all data on my disk beause of this dtpuis secure feartures. ? i cabnnot even do a fresh install wuindows does not see my drive!!! while the bios info screenn shows a micron 2200 conected so uefdetexts my drive just refuses to boot from it
  • didona
    didona Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello All,
    I desperately need HELP..!!! Probably i have the same problem like most of you, but let me explain first.
    I bought brand NEW, unopened box with Nitro 5, model: AN515-55
    Everything was Ok till the moment of plugging in. No any sign of charging or some other indications that this laptop will run!
    Of course i start reading about this problem.., and any options to solve it. Unfortunately this model don’t have this battery restore hole. I already tried this method to hold the ‘power button’ for 20sec., 2min., 5min. with and without changing cable, again nothing. Yesterday was 10 hours plugged in.. just to be sure.., probably the battery needs more time to wake up, BUT again without success!
    If you have better ideas, or know how to manage with this issue… PLEASE SHARE!
    Thanks in advance.
  • RHUK
    RHUK Member Posts: 1 New User
    didona said:
    Hello All,
    I desperately need HELP..!!! Probably i have the same problem like most of you, but let me explain first.
    I bought brand NEW, unopened box with Nitro 5, model: AN515-55
    Everything was Ok till the moment of plugging in. No any sign of charging or some other indications that this laptop will run!
    Of course i start reading about this problem.., and any options to solve it. Unfortunately this model don’t have this battery restore hole. I already tried this method to hold the ‘power button’ for 20sec., 2min., 5min. with and without changing cable, again nothing. Yesterday was 10 hours plugged in.. just to be sure.., probably the battery needs more time to wake up, BUT again without success!
    If you have better ideas, or know how to manage with this issue… PLEASE SHARE!
    Thanks in advance.
    I have the exact same issue with my ACER Nitro 5 (AN515-45).  When I first started using it the battery worked fine but now if I unplug power the laptop dies.  When plugged into AC and booted to Windows the battery icon in the system try shows battery at 100%.  This laptop is only a couple of months old and I am surprised it is showing this kind of issue already.  I have also tried the above suggestions but with no luck.
  • Peko85
    Peko85 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Ciao ragazzi! Ho lo stesso problema... Prime 2/3 accensioni tutto ok ora funziona solo con alimentazione collegata.  fatta la procedura Ma nulla
  • Taipann
    Taipann Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi all, I have the same problem, the notebook only turn on if plugged on the charger. Battery is at 89% fix. Without charger it is dead. Did anyone solved this issue anyway?
  • runx
    runx Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2022
     i have same problem with ACER NITRO 5 AN515-55 but still no solution , battery 100% , check driver all ok , if i randomly unplug adapter, laptop will be direct off/ no power . im trying to USE care center and then check battery callibarate IN SEC ,my laptop suddenly off while pluging power. please helppp ACER!!!!! I bough in 3 month WITH $1500 AND GOT PROBLEM!! VERY shame!!