Acer Swift 3 SF 314 57G - CPU throttling when using Nvidia MX250 GPU

aworan78
aworan78 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
I have a problem with my new laptop.
When I play games under windows like FIFA 20, if I use the Nvidia GPU all works fine a few minutes then the game becomes very slow.
I debug a little with afterburner, and I saw that the CPU frequency slow down form 3GHz to 1.5 GHz then the game became very slow because of lack of CPU frequency.
The strange fact is, even if I play in low resolution 720p and middle details I have the same result. And if I use the Iris Intel integrated GPU I don't have any problem, all works fine in 720p.
Is there some tips to use Nvidia GPU more than a few minutes ?

Thank you and sorry for my english

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    ControlPanel power plan must be set to max performance mode, the battery must be near 100% charged, and charger plugged in BEFORE you start playing demanding games. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aworan78
    This not solve the problem, I already set performance mode and laptop plugged with 100% battery but the CPU still go down to 1.5Ghz with the nvidia mx250.
    There is no problem with integrated Intel graphics ...
    I think maybe the Nvidia GPU produce too much heat then the CPU throttle ...

• JackE
    (1) Does it do the same in Balanced mode?

(2) Do you still have the original BIOS firmware version installed?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aworan78
    I will try with balenced mode, I will test it tomorrow.

I have the original BIOS firmware 1.09.
    There is not any newer on support page for now.

There one older on support page 1.07 but there is not changelog and I think I cannot install it because lower version.

• UserCV
    UserCV Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Does your CPU reach temperatures of about 92 degree in heavy usage?

You can read out those stats with hwinfo
  • aworan78
    @UserCV on afterburner I see CPU slow down around 70 degrees. I will check hwinfo tomorrow if I see some difference 
  • raph13
    raph13 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Welcome back aworan ^^ I still have the exact same problem with the exact same pc. I still don't find how to fix it and it makes the mx250 unusable. For now, the best will be to play with IGPU if don't find any way to resolve it.
  • aworan78
    @JackE @UserCV it is the same in balanced mode, CPU reach 72 degrees before frequency goes down.

• JackE
    Do you still have the original BIOS firmware installed? Because there were reports that later BIOS versions were creating M250 issues in similar models. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aworan78
    @JackE Yes I have the original firmware installed.
    I didn't update it, the laptop was sell with the version 1.09.
    If I check the support page of the laptop the 1.09 is the newer one.
    There is only two version available 1.09 and 1.07.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/fr/FR/content/support-product/8105?b=1
    I tried to install 1.07 just to test but I can't install it because the updater detect than the firmware is more old than the one which is intalled.
    Do you know if Acer knows the problem and if they work on an update of the firmware ?
    Is it some workaround to install older BIOS firmware ?
  • JackE
    >>>I have a problem with my new laptop.>>>

I don't usually recommend firmware changes up or down because of the risk of side effects or worse (bricking). Going down carries a somewhat higher risk but it can be done. But first, how long ago did you get this laptop? Because it might be easier just to return it to the vendor as defective for a replacment or refund if the vendor's return policy period hasn't expired.

If the vendor's return period has expired, I'd then  nexxt recommend downloading and trying iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it can pick a driver that might fix the issue.

If DriverBooster doesn't work, then we can try to load v1.07.

The last resort would be to arrange for warranty service.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aworan78
    @JackE I can't install older BIOS, that is bocked by installer which detect it is older BIOS version.
    @rafh13 have the same laptop and exactly the same issue it is not a problem with my laptop all have the same isue.
  • JackE
     Yes, the older version can indeed be installed but not the way you are doing it. But I first have to know if you tried DriverBooster yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aworan78
    I tried with driver booster no changes.
    What is the workaround to install older bios firmware ?
  • JackE
    >>>What is the workaround to install older bios firmware ? >>>

It can't be called a workaround because it might not work. Before trying it as described in the link below, you should first try to find out which version raph13  has because he has the same model with the same problem. Send him a PM if he doesn't respond here. If he has 1.07, it's not worth the risk of bricking trying to install it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aworan78
    1. Tu as quelle version de BIOS installée ? 1.09 ?
  • aworan78
    I solve the problem with throttle stop, but seems weird, the problem came from power issue.
    After using the mx250 two minutes under FIFA 20 the power for CPU go down for 5 Watts instead of 15 !
    So CPU clock down to 600MHz ...
    I think we need a new BIOS which fix the issue ...
  • Aezakmiplease
    Aezakmiplease Member Posts: 1 New User
    aworan78 said:
    I solve the problem with throttle stop, but seems weird, the problem came from power issue.
    After using the mx250 two minutes under FIFA 20 the power for CPU go down for 5 Watts instead of 15 !
    So CPU clock down to 600MHz ...
    I think we need a new BIOS which fix the issue ...
    Hi. Did you have solution?
  • rijmay
    rijmay Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hey, any updates? My laptop has the exact same problem and I don't know what to do.
  • WARZAZATH
    WARZAZATH Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited October 2020
    aworan78 said:
    @UserCV on afterburner I see CPU slow down around 70 degrees. I will check hwinfo tomorrow if I see some difference 

I had the same issue: My GPU (MX150) throttled at 70°c in my Acer Swift3 (SF314-52G), destroying gaming performances after a few minutes of playing. In my case, the bad performances were only due to this throttling. So to increase the throttling temperature of your GPU:
    - Install latest drivers from nvidia (with outdated drivers it doesn't work)
    - Increase the GPU throttling temperature as shown here for example
    - you can check GPU throttling temperature as well as various other stuff about your GPU using GPU-Z

I hope this helps,

Edited the thread to hide personal information
    Acer-Erick