X35 HDR not consistently fully turning on

DrZ
DrZ Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited February 14 in 2020 Archives
Hi everyone! So I've seen other people on here having the same issue I've had however it doesn't seem to be fixing my issue. 

When I turn on HDR sometimes it truly kicks in and its super bright and beautiful on Windows and computer games and sometimes it just kind of kicks in but not with that much of an improvement. For instance with windows I'll need to turn it off and then back on sometimes 3 times for it to kick fully in. This is the same with games. Sometimes it pops up and is amazing and sometimes its good but not seeming to be fully on. When its fully on the contrast difference is remarkable. Some games I try to turn off the hdr or change the refresh rate/resolution and it'll turn on sometimes and be amazing however some games it just never seems to fully turn on even if I do that. COD modern warfare HDR never seems to fully turn on for me. The new Jedi game doesn't really seem to turn on fully. However games like No ni Kuni 2 with a user made patch made it turn on perfectly. Gears 5 sometimes turns on perfectly and then sometimes it doesn't and I'll need to either restart the game or change the video settings for it to pop up fully. Shadow of the tomb raider seems like it sometimes is fully on and sometimes it isn't. I try changing the HDR settings turning them off and then back on and nothing works consistently for me with it. Assassin's creed origins exactly the same issue. Red dead redemption 2 seems to be working consistently for me now after the recent update for the game. I'm kind of frustrated because I think the monitor is truly amazing however it seems like there might need to have a firmware fix or maybe I need to do some type of software/drivers fix. Any suggestions I'd really appreciate. 

Thanks!

Edited the thread to hide personal information
[ Acer-Samuel ]

Answers

• DrZ

Tinkerer

Can anyone help me with this issue? Or is it just something that most likely won't be fixed?
  • Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    DrZ have you check all windows updates are installed? I think it might be a driver issue, have you updated all the games drivers and check specs etc.? What is the setup and specs of the PC that your using? Can you share a screenshot of the Monitor Settings?

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• DrZ

Tinkerer

Hi Coqui13, yes windows is 100% updated and I've updated all the nvidia drivers as well. I'm using a i7-4790, 16 gigs ram, Geforce 2080 Super (Probably should of just went with the Ti) and 2 TB Samsung SSD. I'll later send a screenshot but overall I just switch between RGB 144hz or 180hz at full color (not limited) and I'll switch on HDR for windows. An example of what I'm describing would be me enabling HDR in windows and it looks slightly better but not that much better. Then I'll turn HDR off and then turn HDR back on again. After re-enabling it it'll improve the picture quality substantially. This sometimes happens with games as well. I don't know why this is the case but its definitely a little strange and I doubt it's due to me not having updated drivers since I check those regularly. I'll try to make a video and post it here so people can see. I'm not sure if a video will show others what I'm seeing due to video compression and not others having the same monitor but I think it might show up just due to how big of a difference it can sometimes be that it might show up slightly even in video. 
  • DrZ

Tinkerer

Here's a screen shot I tried a video but you won't be able to see the difference unfortunately.
  • DrZ

Tinkerer

I noticed that if I change some of the settings on the monitor itself for instance if I put it in Action mode instead of racing mode when I switch from HDR on to Off and back On again it doesn't make a big change. But in racing mode it makes a VERY big difference after putting it back into HDR mode. I think what might be happening is that the backlights become fully engaged when I do this. I mean its so bright and it looks amazing like this. The other HDR on Action looks alright but nothing that is blowing me away. Again what I believe is going on is that the backlights aren't fully being activated unless I do this strange work around. If you think I need some specific drivers or something please send me the link and I'll download them if I don't already have them. Windows has been updated to Version 1903. The monitor says x35 under windows settings and nvidia says Acer X35 in there spot however under windows monitor driver it says Generic plug in play. So potentially there is a driver that I need to update there. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • DrZ

Tinkerer

So I got the specific driver from acer support for the monitor so instead of it saying plug in play it has x35 and the color profile. However this doesn't help change the issue and to be honest I see no discernable difference from with the driver and without the driver. I restarted my computer after the update
  • Paco572
    Paco572 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Due to max data output of the DP Cable, true HRD is restricted to 144hz. Use default colors settings. Don't know if that will help you or not but it was worth a try.

PACO572
  • Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    DrZ said:
    Hi Coqui13, yes windows is 100% updated and I've updated all the nvidia drivers as well. I'm using a i7-4790, 16 gigs ram, Geforce 2080 Super (Probably should of just went with the Ti) and 2 TB Samsung SSD. I'll later send a screenshot but overall I just switch between RGB 144hz or 180hz at full color (not limited) and I'll switch on HDR for windows. An example of what I'm describing would be me enabling HDR in windows and it looks slightly better but not that much better. Then I'll turn HDR off and then turn HDR back on again. After re-enabling it it'll improve the picture quality substantially. This sometimes happens with games as well. I don't know why this is the case but its definitely a little strange and I doubt it's due to me not having updated drivers since I check those regularly. I'll try to make a video and post it here so people can see. I'm not sure if a video will show others what I'm seeing due to video compression and not others having the same monitor but I think it might show up just due to how big of a difference it can sometimes be that it might show up slightly even in video. 
    It is strange, what type of cable are you using DP, DVI, HDMI?

And can you show a screenshot of the monitor OSD menu configuration?

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• DrZ

Tinkerer

Paco572 said:
    Due to max data output of the DP Cable, true HRD is restricted to 144hz. Use default colors settings. Don't know if that will help you or not but it was worth a try.

PACO572 
    Thanks for the information. I'm aware of the limitation of the 144hz. I currently am having this issue with it being at 144hz and 180hz. I thought the same as well that it could've of been something like that. Using default or nvidia settings the same issue occurs. Others have wrote the same issue on this message board as well. Its pretty strange lol. I mean the monitor still looks amazing its just not as good as I think it can be sometimes which is annoying.
  • Paco572
    Paco572 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

You really don't have a lot of options here, so I feel your pain. But there are some things you can try.  These are just suggestions. Eliminate as much hardware as possible perhaps you might isolate the problem. If seen some weird stuff in my day so it's worth it to try IMO..

1 Switch out Cable. 
    2 Unplug power from monitor directly.
    3 Plug power to monitor on it's own power outlet.
    4 Plug PC power supply to it's own outlet.

Optional: get a line conditioner power backup. This will give a steady current.

Hopefully the firmware update, I hope were going to get, will help you.

Cheers

PACO572
  • Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    Hi DrZ,

We have a new firmware available for the X35 to help resolve the issue with occasionally flicker or show vertical lines while displaying graphics from certain games. Since you tried changing some settings and the issue with the HDR persist, we suggest you try to download the new firmware and see if this resolve the consistency with your HDR.

Click on the link bellow for download of the firmware.

Please let us know if this worked for you.
    minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.