Acer Predator Helios 300 Fan Noise

macfrog
macfrog Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My Acer Predator Helios 300 is making this weird noise in which sounds like the begging of a lawnmower starting up but 10x quieter. That's the only sound i can replicate with it. The fan that makes the weird noise is the GPU fan. when is reaches 2350 rpm or higher the noise is more prominent, when is lower I can't hear it. I'm really not looking forward to opening my laptop. I bought my Acer Predator Helios 300 from costco, if i wanted it repaired would i send it there?

Anything will help. Thanks!

Answers

• fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    How old is your laptop ?
    It might be dust or it might be the fan is dying...
  • macfrog
    edited December 2018
    I’ve received my laptop about 1 year 1month ago. I doubt it’s dust. Or maybe my fans are dying. My cpu fan is fine and sounds smooth the gpu fan sounds like it’s maybe hitting something. Also I should mention that when I tile the laptop or like move it around I mid air, the sounds either get louder or quieter. I think a screw or something that holds the fan might be loose
  • Cinix
    Cinix Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    I'm having thesame issue. I even took the laptop apart to check but I can't see anything, no dust and the fan seems fine.
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    oil the fan.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • Insomniac24
    Insomniac24 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just sent mine in for the fan noise. It’s exactly as you described it. I wonder if it’s a common thing with this model... also having issues with my screen not turning on but the laptop does. 🤔
  • tommy3t
    tommy3t Member Posts: 4 New User
    Got the same issue here. Is oiling the fan the only option?
  • macfrog
    Sorry for an extremely late reply. I've had to stick with this problem for ~6 months. I have called Acer and they have told me to do some things that i have done such as settings the fan to max and see which one makes noise. I'm also going to send my laptop to them so that can not only fix the fans, but reapply thermal paste.Because of this issue i'm now starting to see overheating in the CPU. Medium settings on Forza Horizon 4 Demo, I hit 95 degrees cellulitis which is WAY beyond safe especially for medium settings. I have not opened my laptop bc I don't want to void my warranty. I have tried using (I think its called) can of compressed air, which is just a can that shoots a stream of air much more powerful than blowing through a straw, etc. to clean it out. I'm going to possibly send my computer today or tmr. I'll update this and tell you guys if sending it to Acer is the right option.
    I haven't posted because i gave up trying and I just decided to check Acer just to see if my thread was responded to. Glad to know i'm not the only person with this frustrating issue. 
  • hedge7100
    hedge7100 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just got mu helios 300 with the 2060 2 days ago, but im not sure if the fan should come on straight away. like its not the quiet fan sound its like the medium fan sound (not the extreme one that comes on at turbo)... is this right of is the fan just generally loud cpu, gpu and system temps are around 40. any ideas?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Do you have coolboost on and fans on auto ? or are you setting the fans manually 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Cutlass
    Cutlass Member Posts: 3 New User
    Yes I have the same problem and my laptop is almost brand new Helios 300 2019 model.
    When the fan is low, like around 1980 rpm I can hear it fluttering. and I'm pretty sure it's the GPU fan as well.
    The higher it goes, the fluttering just gets masked by the fan noise.
    It drives me crazy when I'm trying to work and type quietly. 
    It sounds like it's hitting something but I opened it up and couldn't see anything.
    It might be the black electrical plastic sheet covering the RAM. I might try to get some electrical tape and start taping ***** down.
    Can anybody advise? Please
  • Triparadox
    Triparadox Member Posts: 55 Devotee WiFi Icon
    macfrog said:
    I’ve received my laptop about 1 year 1month ago. I doubt it’s dust. Or maybe my fans are dying. My cpu fan is fine and sounds smooth the gpu fan sounds like it’s maybe hitting something. Also I should mention that when I tile the laptop or like move it around I mid air, the sounds either get louder or quieter. I think a screw or something that holds the fan might be loose
    A year and a month is still under warranty (I bought mine from Amazon but the laptop comes with 2-year warranty). It's best for you to just send it to them (supposedly in Texas) where they'll replace the fans for free and ship it back to you. Chat with live support first. It's going to take approximately 1 to 2 weeks counting from the day you send it to when you're going to receive it. Try to send it where you don't need it the most (e.g. summer or winter break).
  • belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Cutlass said:
    Yes I have the same problem and my laptop is almost brand new Helios 300 2019 model.
    When the fan is low, like around 1980 rpm I can hear it fluttering. and I'm pretty sure it's the GPU fan as well.
    The higher it goes, the fluttering just gets masked by the fan noise.
    It drives me crazy when I'm trying to work and type quietly. 
    It sounds like it's hitting something but I opened it up and couldn't see anything.
    It might be the black electrical plastic sheet covering the RAM. I might try to get some electrical tape and start taping ***** down.
    Can anybody advise? Please
    Through the metal fan out (gpu) and get normal plastic one (the same as on cpu)
  • Cutlass
    I dissembled the laptop to try to fix this problem. I took out the fan, took out the blades, messed with it for hours trying to fix it.
    I discovered that it's not the fan's problem (I think). I turned the power on with the fan unscrewed from its bay and it ran silent. With the fan powered on  in my hand, it made no noise. Only when the fan is put into the position and screwed in, does the noise appear. It's a resonance sound from the vibration of the fan. I can't tell if it's hitting the pipes or the motherboard that's cause the fluttering sound. 
    Does anybody have experience fixing something like this?
  • belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited December 2019
    Try to swap left and right fan (screw them in) and see if the sound will be on another position
    maybe this fan is not balanced 
  • Cutlass
    Oh I oiled it and it's ok now. Not perfect but it's quiet enough to get some work done.
    Went to Walmart, bought 3in1 machine oil, $2, oiled it up, learned from a youtube video. Works pretty well, at least for now.
  • LoganS
    LoganS Member Posts: 1 New User
    Cutlass said:
    Oh I oiled it and it's ok now. Not perfect but it's quiet enough to get some work done.
    Went to Walmart, bought 3in1 machine oil, $2, oiled it up, learned from a youtube video. Works pretty well, at least for now.
    Could you please share the video you followed?  I have the exact same issue on my one week old Helios 300
  • Ceeu
    Ceeu Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I've got the same problem and i can only hear it when the fan is on low rpm and its the gpu one. It sound like it hitting on something but when i open it up and start the laptop to see the sound is there but not as loud... the laptop is like 2 month old

Can you like us the oil video? Might give that a try
  • Rouven
    Rouven Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Cutlass said:
    i´m also interested. 
  • Subash_RK
    Subash_RK Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2020
    what is the soluation Acer Predator helios 300 Fan sound like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvfHihpS1-Y
    how to fix it.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020
    @Subash_RK sorry but there's nothing to fix as there's no issues and nothingiis broken with anything it's completely normal it was designed to to work as it is all h300 2019 have the same fan curve  the 4th gen aeroblades owl wing tip are noisy by nature to provide the best cooling solution for those who aren't quite happy with it i suggest to get a t500 instead but if it's a h300 2017/18 that's a complete different story

Since you already opened the the laptop you always have a solution to replace the aeroblades for plastic delta fans but of course no need to say it will void your warranty 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/