Busted Z35P (UM.CZ1EE.P01) replaced on insurance - refurbish or recycle options for the other unit?

tstaddon
tstaddon Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 14 in 2019 Archives
Hi! I have in front of me a Sep 2017 Z35P which is a couple of months out of warranty; it has received an impact to the front (top left and down the side). Fortunately the incident was covered by insurance, but the insurance company didn't want the broken screen sent to them and the replacement monitor came with its own stand.

I've done some general testing and the only thing I can see that's wrong with the unit is the LCD unit (M350QVR01.0 AUO). It has cracks on the left side which mean about a quarter of the screen is unusable - but the stand is totally undamaged, the case around the screen looks alright, speakers seem to be alright, and the controller wasn't affected by the impact. If I could disable the left half of the monitor, it'd be usable (if that makes sense).

I could order a replacement LCD unit and try to fit it myself, or just break it down for parts - but just wondered if there are any other options that I haven't thought of.

I know that the Acer Recertified (USA only?) warranty requirement for refurbished monitors says "Within 90 days, all repairs are to be made with factory refurbished parts and in the event that the product shows defect, AcerRecertified.com will facilitate the repair. " Since Acer USA doesn't use new parts when repairing recertified kit under warranty, don't they need a stock of pre-owned parts? Where do they get them from if people are just flogging broken monitors for spares or repair on eBay, or taking the broken kit to the nearest recycling center?

Cheers

Answers

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited December 2019
    Hi tstaddon,

If you're in the US or Canada you can check for spare parts with our Parts Partners or send a PM to @Kev0806 and he might be able to better assist you.
    Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • tstaddon
    tstaddon Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi - No, I'm in the UK and I can't find any equivalent Parts Partners program anywhere in Europe.

As far as I can tell, I can buy a replacement panel direct from the manufacturers in China, or one of their distributors, or possibly go to a US/Canada partner. There's no obvious place to go to that's any more local.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited December 2019
    tstaddon said:
    Hi - No, I'm in the UK and I can't find any equivalent Parts Partners program anywhere in Europe.

As far as I can tell, I can buy a replacement panel direct from the manufacturers in China, or one of their distributors, or possibly go to a US/Canada partner. There's no obvious place to go to that's any more local.
    Thanks for the reply, please contact your local Acer support channels to see if you can order it from the Authorized Service Center and verify the cost:   https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/service-contact

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny