BIOS update to support Ryzen 3700x? Helios 500 question

Answers

• WarFreak131
    WarFreak131 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

^ this is correct. I also find that drivers past 19.5.1 don't resume from sleep properly. The rumor is that's being resolved with a Windows update - and honestly, Windows boots so fast now I might just disable suspend.

Can you elaborate on the "don't resume from sleep properly"?  I had this laptop, but started getting this weird problem where I'd close the laptop, it'd go to sleep, then I'd open it again, and the screen is all static, and I cant resume Windows unless I restart the computer.  I ended up returning it.

https://youtu.be/frHr_uAOmjs
  • kingmetal
    kingmetal Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

^ this is correct. I also find that drivers past 19.5.1 don't resume from sleep properly. The rumor is that's being resolved with a Windows update - and honestly, Windows boots so fast now I might just disable suspend.

Can you elaborate on the "don't resume from sleep properly"?  I had this laptop, but started getting this weird problem where I'd close the laptop, it'd go to sleep, then I'd open it again, and the screen is all static, and I cant resume Windows unless I restart the computer.  I ended up returning it.

Yup, that's the exact issue. I think it's 100% reproducible across all Ryzen Helios 500s. 19.5.1 works fine.
  • NiteNinja
    NiteNinja Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I just stopped using sleep mode altogether and leave the system running. 

However same issue happens when you disconnect an external display and pop it back open to use the internal display. 

Like the keyboard miscolored lighting issue probably another bug that'll not be fixed since there's no incentive for Acer to continue supporting this machine. I put up with it because it's the only modern desktop in a laptop device on the market.
  • Khelgar
    Khelgar Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
    kingmetal said:

Yup, that's the exact issue. I think it's 100% reproducible across all Ryzen Helios 500s. 19.5.1 works fine.
    And i have the opposite problem, suddenly the laptop started to refuse going to sleep no matter how i try to put it to sleep. The screen becomes black but everything else keeps working. It was working fine before. Never had problems coming out of sleep though, when it was working. Also 19.5.2 here.
  • WarFreak131

Tinkerer

*****, I ended up returning it.....
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    Well returning a beast like the H500 just because its doesnt work properly with the sleep mode (which its a windows issue after all) its a bit harsh in my view after all its a software issue not hardware, i wouldnt definitely if i would ever get my hands on one of those would never ditch no matter what variant :) 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• WarFreak131

Tinkerer

xapim said:
    Well returning a beast like the H500 just because its doesnt work properly with the sleep mode (which its a windows issue after all) its a bit harsh in my view after all its a software issue not hardware, i wouldnt definitely if i would ever get my hands on one of those would never ditch no matter what variant :) 

Well if I knew it was just a software issue I wouldn't have returned it XD
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    A Helios 500 was returned??? 😮
    - Hotel Hero
  • NiteNinja
    AMD rumored a 65w variant of the 12-core 24-thread, the R9 3900. It's supposed to be OEM only right now, but I'm sure it'll be released to the public. However ACER could capitalize on it and make a 3rd gen desktop replacement laptop too. Slap in a full fledged 5700xt (330w adapter will handle it), and it would be a monster.
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    Don't know if it matters to anybody but Sleep works perfectly on my 2017's G3-572. Closing the lid leads to sleep and opening it leads to waking up of PC at lock screen. It works even if Fast Startup is turned on/off, but I am keeping it off since after doing that, not a single Windows Update has failed for me on 1903.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • NiteNinja
    Yeah I'm thinking that there's a conflict between the Vega 56's V-bios, a Windows update, and desktop drivers.

I have considered trying to flash the desktop reference Vega 56 bios to the V bios of the Helios 500, however, I'm a bit too chicken for that since this is my primary machine.
  • RAMChYLD
    RAMChYLD Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    xapim said:

But are you sure it's Acer's fault? For all we know, it's a fault of the AMD drivers instead. Indeed. the 19.9.3 drivers failed to detect the display as Freesync capable unless it's upgraded from the 18.12.3 drivers. And yes I have the same wake up problem, but I've also observed a similar wake up problem on a custom-built desktop PC with a Ryzen 7 2700 CPU and a Vega 56 GPU card in Linux AND another custom-built desktop PC with a Ryzen 7 2700X and a Vega 64 GPU running Windows 10. I've already filed a bug report with AMD, and I encourage those having these issues to do the same.
  • bobzdar
    bobzdar Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Use hibernate instead of sleep as the problem doesn't exist for hibernate. If you use the 19.5.1 drivers or earlier I believe it also doesn't have the sleep issue confirming its software, not hardware. Boot from hibernate is fast enough to not really matter. 
  • Krazyatom
    Krazyatom Member Posts: 3 New User
    I guess new cpu support is not possible. I was hoping someone was able to find the solution. 
  • Khelgar
    Not possible by ourselves. Acer need to be willing to do it.
  • Almivito
    Almivito Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Just finding this thread now; hope it hasn't died haha. 3950X, anyone??
  • NiteNinja
    Pretty sure this is dead. And a 3950X wouldn't even run on this machine if they did update the AGESA, too much power draw. 

It's a bit of a shame because I highly doubt we'll see another desktop in a laptop for the 3rd gen/Navi, but who knows. I'll certainly be one of the first to buy.

• Khelgar
    Yep such a shame. I'm extremely content with this laptop, couldn't imagine what it would become with never gen CPU's with also added bit of future proofing. Lost oppurtunity for both Acer and customers i'd say.
  • NiteNinja
    True but at the same time, who's going to take the time to update the BIOS,take  apart the laptop, unseat the heatsink, swap the CPUs, replace all the thermal compound and pads, and assemble it all. 

Granted most of the people who got this machine are enthusiasts and know what they're getting.
  • Khelgar
    NiteNinja said:
    True but at the same time, who's going to take the time to update the BIOS,take  apart the laptop, unseat the heatsink, swap the CPUs, replace all the thermal compound and pads, and assemble it all. 

Granted most of the people who got this machine are enthusiasts and know what they're getting.
    Yes  you answered your own question there :) Besides once the word is out that there is such an option with huge gains, even non-enthusiasts might slowly start to set their minds on it. It's not rocket science anyway.