Predator P03-600 After Windows update, my LAN is gone, how to get it back?

Duder
Duder Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I had a notification in my system tray last night that their was an update that needed to be performed before shutting down/restarting. I selected Update and shut down. Upon booting this morning I could not connect to the internet, despite having the LAN cable plugged in and all. I ended up having to connect via wireless, which i dislike. I have tried various things and cannot get LAN to show up as an option. I have updated the LAN drivers via this site. 

Best Answer

• Duder

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I had read and tried and looked into numerous different things. I had downloaded the Lan_Realtek drivers I mentioned in a post above but they never installed because they could never find the controller. But last night I read a post that described an error with the memory and to unplug the tower for 10 minutes or so to allow it to reset. So when I shut the computer down last night I unplugged it. Today, ive booted the pc and voila, fixxed. 

So the fix for me was:
    Shut down, unplug tower for the night, plug back in in the morning, boot.

Thanks JohnCena and billsey for your help.

Answers

• Duder

Tinkerer

Maybe LAN is the wrong term. I was always using an ethernet cable for the internet connection. When I booted it, there was no internet connection. Under the Network connects it isn't even an option.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Fire up Device Manager and give us a snapshot of the Network Adapters and anything unknown.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Duder

Tinkerer

I don't see anything classified as unknown, and the network adapters in there are confusing to me

• JohnCena
    JohnCena Member Posts: 460 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    What's your model? It looks like it deleted your Ehternet adapter's driver.
  • Duder

Tinkerer

Predator P03-600

I had downloaded a driver for my model as well as Lan_Realtek_10.36.701.2019_W10x64_A. The driver for my model I did not install for it is just a .chk file and I have no idea what to do with that. The Lan_Realtek driver I did install and nada =(

Thanks for workin on this with me!
  • JohnCena
    What does driver file contain? Only that?
  • Duder

Tinkerer

Yeah, just install stuff, which I ran. To no avail =/
  • Duder

Tinkerer

Specifically:

• JohnCena
    Run that setup with admin logo on it. Did you try it? If it won't work, there's another way to install drivers.
  • Duder

Tinkerer

It gives me the option to repair or modify. When I ran it before I had selected repair.
  • Duder

Tinkerer

Which should I do?
  • Duder

Tinkerer

also remove is an option
  • Duder

Tinkerer

I selected repair and got this after it went through the progress bar while installing:

Which is the same error I had gotten before when I did "repair". I don't know what Deep Sleep Mode is, or where to check. The cable is and has been plugged in and I had tried to remove it and reinster when i recieved this error last time and it didnt do anything. 

• JohnCena
    Ok, can you select modify?
  • Duder

Tinkerer

No, will not allow me to select modify
  • Duder

Tinkerer

Thank you for the help thus far,  I need to leave my PC for the morning but will check back. 
  • JohnCena
    When I get to my PC, I'll show how to install driver with device manager.
  • Duder

Tinkerer

Alrighty, thank you much. I'll be around from now on out.
  • Duder

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I had read and tried and looked into numerous different things. I had downloaded the Lan_Realtek drivers I mentioned in a post above but they never installed because they could never find the controller. But last night I read a post that described an error with the memory and to unplug the tower for 10 minutes or so to allow it to reset. So when I shut the computer down last night I unplugged it. Today, ive booted the pc and voila, fixxed. 

So the fix for me was:
    Shut down, unplug tower for the night, plug back in in the morning, boot.

Thanks JohnCena and billsey for your help.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Wow, so the computer got into a confused state and since when you shut down these days they don't really turn off. They stay just awake enough to respond to a power button press, a wake event from the keyboard or mouse (if so configured) and a wake event from the network. I'd bet the latter is what bit you. With laptops they are putting battery reset switches in to do essentially the same thing. You can't 'unplug' a laptop, since it just switches to the battery, but the reset button does a full disconnect. I hadn't heard of a desktop with that issue, but it makes sense.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.