Login Problem

legin90
legin90 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I tried to log in as admin in safe mode. The login screen asks for the admin password but there isn't on e set as I set it up using the finger print reader.
Now I can't log in to get out of safe mode

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    legin90

Hi,

On the login screen, you will see something like sign in options.    You can chose the options like pin, password  if you have already set it.

In your case since you do not know the password for admin, please login using finger print reader and then you can set the password for admin account.

If there are any issues in login using finger print reader please follow the steps below..

Remove fingerprints and update fingerprint driver

If the fingerprint doesn’t work in Windows 10, you can fix the problem simply by removing the fingerprints. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Open the Settings app and navigate to Accounts section.
      Windows 10 fingerprint without Hello Accounts
    2. Select Sign-in options from the menu on the left. In the right pane go to Windows Hello section and click on Remove button under Fingerprint.
      Windows 10 fingerprint greyed out sign-in options

After removing fingerprints, you need to remove your fingerprint driver. To see how to do that, check Solution 1.

Now you need to download and install the latest driver for your fingerprint reader. Lastly, you need to register two new fingerprints. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings app > Accounts > Sign-in options.
    2. Make sure that you have a PIN set up. If not, set up your PIN now.
    3. Go to Windows Hello section in the right pane and click on the “Set up” button.
    4. Follow the instructions on the screen to set up your fingerprint.
    5. After adding a fingerprint, go to Windows Hello section and click on Add another button.
    6. Follow the instructions on the screen to add another fingerprint.

After doing that your fingerprint reader should start working.

Remove and recreate your PIN

Several users reported that fingerprint doesn’t work in Windows 10 due to their PIN. However, you can fix this problem simply by removing your PIN. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Open Settings app and go to Accounts > Sign-in options. In the PIN section click the Remove button.
      Windows 10 fingerprint and PIN not working remove password
    2. Click the Remove button again to confirm.
    3. You’ll be asked to enter your Microsoft Account password. Enter the password and click on OK.
      Windows 10 fingerprint reader not working Dell verify password removal

Now you just need to add your PIN again. You can do that by following these steps:

1. Go to Sign-in options and click on Add button in PIN section.
      Windows Hello isnt available on this device add PIN
    2. Enter your password and click on Sign in button.
      Windows 10 fingerprint login not working re-enter your password
    3. Enter the desired PIN in two input fields and click on OK.
      Windows 10 fingerprint stopped working set up a PIN

After you recreate your PIN, the problem should be completely resolved and you’ll be able to use your fingerprint again.

You can also remove the existing password or add an new password for the admin account.   

If the comments are helpful please click on "like"

If the comments resolves your issue please click on "yes"

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    By default in Windows the builtin Administrator account is disabled. The account you normally login with should have Administrator privileges, so that should work. If for some really strange reason what you're trying to do requires the account named 'Administrator' then you'll have to enable it until you're done with your task and disable again afterwards.
    To login with your password instead of a PIN or fingerprint, just click on the sign in options link on the login screen.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • legin90
    In safe mode there isn't an option to use anything other than Password. There is no password set as I set the laptop up to use finger print for theadmin account. I am stuck in safe mode and cannot log in as admin.
  • legin90
    Thanks for your help.
    I got around the problem by re-installing Windows
  • legin90
    After owning the laptop for 4 days it died. The hard drive gave up and I couldn't get it to start up. When I put a linux usb in to try to install it , it said there is only 4GB on the Hard drive which should be 256GB.
    I took it back to the supplier and was able to change the laptop for a new one.
    So this has been working ok for nearly 4 weeks now, and I am very happy with the performance of it.
    Next job is to install Linux Mint alongside Windows, though I may need to put an extra ssd in for more storage first.

Nigel