Low cpu performance Nitro AN515-42

tanoy25
tanoy25 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2019 in Nitro Gaming

I have the Nitro AN515-42 and its max turbo is speed for the CPU is supposedly 3.6 GHz. However, i haven't experienced performance that i expected. I'm currently getting only 45+ frames in and also it drops when teamfights happen. Any possible way to increase performance?

Best Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good Morning tanoy25 !

What EXACT model of your laptop?
    In order for the Boost system to be activated you must be using the Windows high performance plan and plugged into the power outlet.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    Make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into power while gaming, Windows MUST be set to High Performance plan, then do this:
    Open your AMD control center 
    First click the Updates tab at the bottom left and make sure your graphics drivers are updated to 19.9.2  or higher and click express upgrade

Make sure High Performance is selected under Power Plan in Nitrosense when on AC

After that make sure your games are in listed under switchable graphics and your games are set on High Performance, you must import your games .exe using the Browse tab in pic below

Lastly to run your game on the RX560x you must launch the game from inside the Radeon Adrenalin Control Center. Click the gaming tab then if your game is not there you will need to add your game's .exe by using the ADD button on the right and navigating to your games .exe file, then click the drop down box for your game then click launch. The game will now launch using the RX560x and your CPU should be boosting to MAX but only if needed and it will be monitored in Nitrosense

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ZynFaith
    ZynFaith Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    3.6 GHz is max frequency for one core. For all core frequncy lower then this. I think you cpu is throttling, this means that your processor is overheating and it resets the frequency to 2000MHz, until you reboot the system. There are two ways to solve this problem:
    1. Set fan control in MAX (meh)
    2. Undervolt your graphics card to lower your temp of all system. Check this video: https://youtu.be/EwV_pjpgalg. My settings: Core 1299MHz and 975mV, Memory 1500MHz and 750 mV (cool solution!)
    You can try the tip from above, but for me it will not help
  • andylb
    Answer ✓
    tanoy25 said:

I have the Nitro AN515-42 and its max turbo is speed for the CPU is supposedly 3.6 GHz. However, i haven't experienced performance that i expected. I'm currently getting only 45+ frames in and also it drops when teamfights happen. Any possible way to increase performance?

From your description above it is far more likely that you are gaming using your dedicated Vega 8 GPU instead of your Discrete RX560 x GPU. The Ryzen processor will never reach full high performance unless Windows Power Plan is set to High Performance, your battery is at 100% and plugged in and you are using the Rx560 x GPU under stress. So please follow the steps I outlined above before trying undervolting. Yours is a common question on this forum and this is often the solution

Please click YES if this solves your problem, thank you

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good Morning tanoy25 !

What EXACT model of your laptop?
    In order for the Boost system to be activated you must be using the Windows high performance plan and plugged into the power outlet.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• andylb
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    Make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into power while gaming, Windows MUST be set to High Performance plan, then do this:
    First click the Updates tab at the bottom left and make sure your graphics drivers are updated to 19.9.2  or higher and click express upgrade

Make sure High Performance is selected under Power Plan in Nitrosense when on AC

After that make sure your games are in listed under switchable graphics and your games are set on High Performance, you must import your games .exe using the Browse tab in pic below

Lastly to run your game on the RX560x you must launch the game from inside the Radeon Adrenalin Control Center. Click the gaming tab then if your game is not there you will need to add your game's .exe by using the ADD button on the right and navigating to your games .exe file, then click the drop down box for your game then click launch. The game will now launch using the RX560x and your CPU should be boosting to MAX but only if needed and it will be monitored in Nitrosense

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ZynFaith
    ZynFaith Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    3.6 GHz is max frequency for one core. For all core frequncy lower then this. I think you cpu is throttling, this means that your processor is overheating and it resets the frequency to 2000MHz, until you reboot the system. There are two ways to solve this problem:
    1. Set fan control in MAX (meh)
    2. Undervolt your graphics card to lower your temp of all system. Check this video: https://youtu.be/EwV_pjpgalg. My settings: Core 1299MHz and 975mV, Memory 1500MHz and 750 mV (cool solution!)
    You can try the tip from above, but for me it will not help
  • andylb
    Answer ✓
    tanoy25 said:

From your description above it is far more likely that you are gaming using your dedicated Vega 8 GPU instead of your Discrete RX560 x GPU. The Ryzen processor will never reach full high performance unless Windows Power Plan is set to High Performance, your battery is at 100% and plugged in and you are using the Rx560 x GPU under stress. So please follow the steps I outlined above before trying undervolting. Yours is a common question on this forum and this is often the solution

Please click YES if this solves your problem, thank you

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• tanoy25
    tanoy25 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thank you for your replies. I'll update you guys as soon as i can test out the methods
  • andylb
    Glad we can be of help, sometimes it's a team effort

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• C3lv1c3
    C3lv1c3 Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
  • andylb
    C3lv1c3 said:
    @C3lv1c3
    AN515-42 has the Ryzen 5 processor. Models with the Ryzen 7 begin with AN715=**

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• C3lv1c3
    C3lv1c3 Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    andylb said:
    C3lv1c3 said:
    @C3lv1c3
    andylb said:
    C3lv1c3 said:
    @C3lv1c3
    Nope,  Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R6
    Thats my model name, just checked the order.
  • Jimster480
    Jimster480 Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
    There is no way to fix this "problem". The boost clock is 3.6Ghz and the base clock is 2Ghz. Therefore when gaming you will be playing at 2Ghz clockspeed once boost clock runs out.
  • andylb
    There is no way to fix this "problem". The boost clock is 3.6Ghz and the base clock is 2Ghz. Therefore when gaming you will be playing at 2Ghz clockspeed once boost clock runs out.

It's fixed

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jimster480
    andylb said:

It's fixed

How could it be fixed? The CPU clockspeed will not stay above 2Ghz long term if all the cores are used. Therefore you cannot "fix" the specification of the CPU itself.
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    andylb said:

It's fixed

How could it be fixed? The CPU clockspeed will not stay above 2Ghz long term if all the cores are used. Therefore you cannot "fix" the specification of the CPU itself.

His frame rate increased that's what I mean by fixed. Like you I have this model and most of my games are in the 90 to 120 fps  range with no drops when the settings I outlined above are implemented

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    @Jimster480 also when when I do a long hard CPU stress test using AIDA64 Extreme trial version, it holds at about 3200 Ghz, am I misreading this? I would appreciate your input

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jimster480
    andylb said:
    @Jimster480 also when when I do a long hard CPU stress test using AIDA64 Extreme trial version, it holds at about 3200 Ghz, am I misreading this? I would appreciate your input

That software won't use the cores enough to get the clockspeed down.
    Running something like y-cruncher or cinebench will show you more real world heavy load clockspeed.
    Running either of the above I get to around 2-2.2Ghz clockspeed even if thermals aren't an issue (6x C core temps).

andylb said:
    andylb said:

It's fixed

His frame rate increased that's what I mean by fixed. Like you I have this model and most of my games are in the 90 to 120 fps  range with no drops when the settings I outlined above are implemented

The same was the case with me before the temp issues with the thermal paste. The problem is that it depends on what game you play. On  games like Overwatch or League of Legends or even Source games like CSGO, HL2, TF2, etc the CPU isn't heavily stressed and you can get gobs of frames in 1080p (90+).
    But in games like Quake Champions, Forza Horizon 4, Heros of the Storm, Cities Skylines.... the FPS will be atrocious at times due to low clockspeeds. I imagine other RTS games like Planetary Annihilation, Starcraft 2, Ashes, DOW, etc will suffer the same fate under the lack of clockspeed available from a U series chip over time.
    Its just the limitation of this platform with a U series SKU. If you want to maintain performance you need to have an H, Q, K series SKU. This is part of why AMD came out with the 3550H and 2700H to be able to deliver this performance needed for CPU-heavy games.
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    @Jimster480 thanks m8 that's clearer now

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jimster480
    andylb said:
    @Jimster480 thanks m8 that's clearer now

You're welcome!
    I also just changed my thermal paste right now over to Thermalright TFX and temps dropped by 20C in max load and ~10c on idle. But really I think that the temps would drop even more as the fans are barely spinning because the temps are so low in the first place.
  • Niteshm278
    Niteshm278 Member Posts: 6 New User
    I have intel i5-9300H any fix for that?
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    I have intel i5-9300H any fix for that?

Yes but please start a new Topic for your question, thankyou
    Please give us your exact model number, for example AN515-** and describe the exact nature of the problem

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Hotwheels
    Hotwheels Member Posts: 22 Networker
    andylb said:

Wow Charged to 100% and plugged in to get the best performance. Dumb set up in my opinion. Must really shorten your the life of the battery doing that.
    Unfortunate there are So many heating issues with Nitro 5.