Nitro 5 AN545-51 laptop - can't connect second monitor only black screen

Paul_556
Paul_556 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi, 
I have a problem with connecting a second monitor to my nitro 5 laptop. The laptop recognizes the monitor but it's only showing a black screen. I have the monitor connected through a HDMI cable. It seems the problem is that my main laptop monitor is connected through the intergrated graphics card (Intel HD graphics 630)  and the second monitor through my dedicated card (GTX 1050ti). Is that the issue? 
Appreciate any help. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Did you try to turn the screen on with the Fn+F5 toggle key combo? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning Paul_556 !

Is the laptop plugged into a power outlet?
    Have you tried the Windows + P keys?

httpblogscreightoneduclassroomswp-contentuploadssites18201605Windows-key-ppng
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Paul_556

Tinkerer

Tried that already nothings happens, the second monitor stays black screened. Laptop is plugged. 
  • JackE
    Did you try both methods? Also re-check your model number. There is no AN545-xx series. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Paul_556

Tinkerer

Yeah tried both methods. My bad it's a typo, the correct product name is Nitro AN515-51
  • JackE
    >>> It seems the problem is that my main laptop monitor is connected through the intergrated graphics card (Intel HD graphics 630)  and the second monitor through my dedicated card (GTX 1050ti). Is that the issue? >>>>>>AN515-51>>>

Yep, that model seems to have mshybrid graphics in which laptop screen uses the integrated GPU and the HDMI port the discrete GPU. As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a BIOS setting to change the HDMI port's adapter. There is a reference to an HDMI switch but the only switch I can find is the FN+F5 toggle between the laptop screen or HDMI or both at the same time. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Paul_556

Tinkerer

So there is nothing that I can do or am I misunderstanding you ? FN + F5 pulls out the window option to either extend/duplicate or use the first or second monitor only which neither those options work and the monitor is still black. 
  • JackE
    I don't think so unless the Nvidia ControlPanel allows you to change this behavior and force using the discrete GPU for everything. This will probably consume a lot of energy. Is your Windows ControlPanel power plan set to high performance mode which might accomplish the same thing?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    When you use the Windows-P to extend the desktop, right click on your desktop and select Display Settings and send us some screen shots showing what it thinks is going on. It might be trying to drive your monitor at a frequency that it doesn't support fully.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Paul_556

Tinkerer

Got it working, was a monitor issue. Thanks everyone for their help.
  • JackE
    OK. But what was the monitor issue? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• QuBeeSoldier24
    QuBeeSoldier24 Member Posts: 4 New User
    What was the monitor issue? I am having the same problem
  • QuBeeSoldier24
    QuBeeSoldier24 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Paul_556 said:
    Got it working, was a monitor issue. Thanks everyone for their help.
    Could you say what was the issue?