Switch 10 touchscreen sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

jakecreasey
jakecreasey Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey guys. New to the community!

I don't know if this question has been asked before. I tried searching boards and only found instances where the touch screen was just not working or there was something up with HID.

What I'm seeing with my Switch 10 is when I turn it on for the first time in the day, the touch screen won't work. I then go to the device manager and check the HID Touchscreen, there is nothing weird seen on there. It says that the device is working properly. I check for new drivers, it says everything is up to date. So I disable and enable. It still doesn't work. So then I'll have to restart. After I restart, the touch screen works. If I leave the laptop on for a long time without using the touchscreen and I try the touchscreen again, the touch screen is off again.

I've got a Switch One 10 SW1-011 with Windows 7 64bit. Does anyone have any advice or has anyone experienced this and managed to fix this?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    There are instances we've seen over the years where the power settings for the internal USB port that connects the digitizer to the main system get set to power off after some period of time, then doesn't do a good job of powering back on when accessed. The fix is on Device Manager, you find the device providing that service to the touch screen and change it's power properties to stay on at all times. It's not obvious which device it is so you end up doing trial and error to find it. With Windows 10 they fixed it by no longer doing power suspensions on that type of device.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jakecreasey
    jakecreasey Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for that! I was wondering, if I upgraded to Windows 10, was there certain drivers or things that I would need to download too? There seems to be a lot in the device manager page but I'm not sure where these would all be. Meaning, is downloading the drivers enough? Are there things I need to download so that the dock is then recognized, so that touchscreen is recognized, etc.?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I actually have no idea.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Most, if not all, drivers will get updated automatically for you when you do the W10 install. Check here by searching for the same model to verify others have upgraded successfully. There have been a bunch of models in that series and some of the oldest might have glitches.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.