Aspire 3 fail installing Ubuntu

MArhEV
MArhEV Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi!
I have an issue during installation dual-boot Win10 (preinstalled) and Ubuntu 18 LTS on my new Acer Aspire 3 (to be more precise: A315-55G-589M).

Steps i have followed to install:

1. Created partition approx. 80GB and formatted it
2. Turned off fastboot and hybernation from win level
3. Made a bootable USB with Ubuntu (used Rufus and LiLi)
4. Made a supervisor passwd and turned off secure boot, fast boot and similar
5. Made sure that windows boot loader is prior to bootable linux usb (Linpus)

What is my problem?
There is no disk selection menu nor menu where you can select install along windows and so on.
I figured out that Ubuntu didn't see the whole hard drive and tries to install on my usb rather than Aspire.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe should I update my BIOS or drivers? 
Feel free to ask me for further information, maybe screens. It is really important for me to install Ubuntu as fast as possible :P
Is there somebody able to help me, please? :o

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Follow  steps in link below. Take note of step 10, sometimes the trusted grub file doesn't select even though it's highlighted. Then you must enter the  full grub filename from the keyboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MArhEV

Tinkerer

This grub64x.efi idea may work, but your solution assumes that I have already installed Linux. The problem is that the installer doesn't even see the HDD, so I can't install Linux the normal way. The only option is sda1, which is my USB. Should I follow step 10 anyway?

Anyway, thanks for your reply!
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    What am I doing wrong?

I'm pretty sure the mistake you made was formatting the 80 GB partition.

1. Delete the 80 GB partition
    2. Recreate the 80 GB partition but don't format it.  Just leave it as unallocated space.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MArhEV

Tinkerer

I left it unallocated.
    I made a mistake describing my steps :(
  • JordanB
    Use Windows Disk Management to shrink your C: drive by 80 GB as per @JackE instructions.  This will create the 80 GB unallocated partition.
    It's always better to use Windows tool when working with NTFS drive (in my opinion).
  • MArhEV

Tinkerer

Yes, I have done it before, but it didn't change anything...
    Any other ideas?
  • JordanB
    The latest BIOS release notes talks about a hidden SATA mode.   I suspect that has something to do with your problem.  Unfortunately I don't know more about your computer model.   @JackE might be able provide more insight.

I would recommend that you create a USB recovery drive using the Acer Care Center app before proceeding any further.

https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38145/~/windows-10%3A-create-a-usb-recovery-drive-using-acer-care-center

• JackE
    >>>The only option is sda1, which is my USB. Should I follow step 10 anyway?>>>

sda1 is  NOT the USB stick!!! sda1 is the first partition of your HDD. What Linux distro do you have on the USB installation stick? It must have an option at the very beginning of the installation to allow you to install linux alongside windows, not overwrite the Windows partitions.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Also the installation stick must be GPT partitioned FAT32 formatted, BIOS set to UEFI bootstrap not Legacy mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    @MArhEV

In my previous post, I mentioned that acer added a hidden SATA mode.  This somewhat implies that Acer ships some SKU's in RAID.  I don't know if your computer is in RAID.  But it could explain why you are having problems not seeing the typical menus on the Ubuntu installation and why it can't see things like it normally does.

Check with an Acer Service Center of give Acer a call.

Don't forget to create that USB recovery drive.  :)

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/
  • Albert1st1
    Albert1st1 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

JackE said:
    Follow  steps in link below. Take note of step 10, sometimes the trusted grub file doesn't select even though it's highlighted. Then you must enter the  full grub filename from the keyboard. Jack E/NJ

I think JackE is right that you should add it as trusted.
    You should also change boot order so it boots from your media before other OS.

• MArhEV

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>The only option is sda1, which is my USB. Should I follow step 10 anyway?>>>

sda1 is  NOT the USB stick!!! sda1 is the first partition of your HDD. What Linux distro do you have on the USB installation stick? It must have an option at the very beginning of the installation to allow you to install linux alongside windows, not overwrite the Windows partitions.  Jack E/NJ
    sda1 is for sure usb, it shows the size of my pendrive (I tried with some of them). Now I have Ubuntu 18 LTS, but tried with 16 LTS and 19.04, so the problem is not with Ubuntu. 

JordanB said:
    @MArhEV

In my previous post, I mentioned that acer added a hidden SATA mode.  This somewhat implies that Acer ships some SKU's in RAID.  I don't know if your computer is in RAID.  But it could explain why you are having problems not seeing the typical menus on the Ubuntu installation and why it can't see things like it normally does.

Check with an Acer Service Center of give Acer a call.

Don't forget to create that USB recovery drive.  :)

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/
    Yeah, this might be a clue. I'll check this out!

Anyway, Acer support is terrible. They told me my laptop is configured only for use with Windows 10 and nothing else, so they can not help me...
  • JordanB
    If I had your computer model.......

I would backup my important personal files, create a USB recovery drive with Acer Care Center app, update the BIOS to the latest, use the secret hidden SATA mode, then wipe the drive with diskpart clean, power cycle the laptop, and then use my USB recovery drive to re-install windows.  But I can't recommend that you do that because I don't have your computer model and have never tested.  So my advice could get you in to a mess that I would be unable to get you out of......since I don't have your computer model sitting in front of me.
  • JordanB
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    @MArhEV

The problem that you described in your original post is very similar to what another forum member described with a different model.  "Stuck in weird RAID mode" even though Windows works fine and I don't think the computer is actually in a bona fide RAID.

It would appear that Acer added this hidden SATA mode for linux users.......just a hunch.

See link below regarding different model.....same problem for linux users.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/540052/swift-3-sf315-51g-stuck-in-weird-raid-mode

• MArhEV

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    Ok, first of all, I'm sorry for not responding- a lot of work...

@JordanB, SATA is not in RAID mode and I can change it beetween two options (photo below).

Now I'll try to update BIOS

Edited by,
    Acer Harvey.(Due to personal info provided)
  • MArhEV

Tinkerer

So, the problem was with that weird RST Optane mode (don't know why it's here with my ssd drive), changed to AHCI and Ubuntu finally discovered SSD.
    The problem is, now Windows is not able to boot :(((
    It's high time to reinstall Windows omitting that Optane ***** and then install Ubuntu.

• JordanB
    I see.

It was in the wrong SATA mode.
  • JackE
    >>>weird RST Optane mode (don't know why it's here with my ssd drive),>>>

Yes, only good as a sort of cache for mechanical HDDs and Windows only.  Fairly useless mode these days. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    MArhEV said:
    So, the problem was with that weird RST Optane mode (don't know why it's here with my ssd drive), changed to AHCI and Ubuntu finally discovered SSD.
    The problem is, now Windows is not able to boot :(((
    It's high time to reinstall Windows omitting that Optane ***** and then install Ubuntu.

you don't need to re-install windows. just interrupt the windows booting by long pressing the power button. do it 2 times, on the third windows boot , it will automatically take you to the recovery screen. here you select safe boot. let it boot into safe mode and then shutdown. this may / should solve your change from RST to Achi sata mode change no boot problem.
    if I have posted this late, and you have already reinstalled windows, then ignore the reply.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • MArhEV

Tinkerer

Solution:
    1. Enter BIOS, set supervisor password
    2. nvavigate to main tab, press ctl+s
    3. change SATA mode to AHCI
    4. Reinstall Windows from bootable USB
    5. Install Ubuntu without any problems

Thank you guys for your replies, especially @JordanB. Your post about RAID led me to victory :D