Acer Swift 3 (SF314-54) M.2 SSD and RAM upgrades

henriquemarrocos
henriquemarrocos Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, I have an Acer Swift 3 (SF314-54 / i5-8250u / Intel Graphics 620 / 1x 8GB / 16GB Intel Optane M.2 / 1TB HDD SATA) and I would like to know if I can substitute the Intel Optane for a 1TB M.2 2280 SSD? I also would like to know if I can substitute the RAM for a 16GB module? Thank you.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    First remove the Optane card. Then see if the system boots without the card. You may have to change the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS main tab to get the HDD to boot. If it boots without the optane card, you're free to insert the 1TB m.2.

You should have 4GB non-replaceable soldered DDR4 RAM and 4GB replaceable DDR4 RAM module. So you can replace the 4GB DDR$ module with an 8GB DDR4 module for a total of 12GB DDR4 RAM.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    First remove the Optane card. Then see if the system boots without the card. You may have to change the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS main tab to get the HDD to boot. If it boots without the optane card, you're free to insert the 1TB m.2.

You should have 4GB non-replaceable soldered DDR4 RAM and 4GB replaceable DDR4 RAM module. So you can replace the 4GB DDR$ module with an 8GB DDR4 module for a total of 12GB DDR4 RAM.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ydhnt
    ydhnt Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

please help, 
    is it possible that the system fails to boot without Optane?

I am gonna buy SSD m.2 Nvme 256GB, but I wanna make sure that it will work for my sf314 54g 51ws after removing Optane card and the HDD. 
  • henriquemarrocos
    henriquemarrocos Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I decided not to upgrade the memory RAM, but I removed both the 16GB Intel Optane and the 1TB HDD and installed the Silicon Power 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 (SU001TBP34A80M28AB), and it is working perfectly fine.

PS: I changed the SATA mode in the BIOS from RSP with Optane to AHCI.