Recovery failure, Append failed - Error Code = 0x2, WIMGAPI failure, then Windows failed to start

cicori
cicori Member Posts: 10 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, need help / advice regarding errors that experienced during factory recovery using genuine Acer recovery disks, pack of 5 (1 bootable/system disk, 3 base disks, 1 language pack).

Heads up of error:
Append failed - ErrorCode=0x2 (ImageX cannot append image: WIMGAPI failure)

Followed by the screen of:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. Status: 0xc000000f Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

All genuine software and disk. Only change is the hard drive, from the original HDD to a new SSD. The SSD drive has been wiped using "Diskpart - clean all" in command prompt. 
Also brought back to factory state using genuine Samsung Magician software and it's "Secure Erase" feature. No data left on drive and no other partitions (obviously). Only thing noted with the SSD is that it allocates a 30GB for "Over-Provisioning" - note: this is a factory set up that all Samsung SSD comes with. But that shouldn't affect the recovery process. That part of the SSD isn't even a partition, only used by Samsung SSD itself.
Then put straight into my Acer machine to start the recovery process.

The recovery process started great, swapped disks when process required it. All looks good, files are being copied, software are installed, restarting couple times itself without error. After 2-3 hours into the process, an error occurred, pop up window on Acer Recovery page (so not windows or BIOS screen):

Only option to press OK. Device restarting then got to "Windows failed to start" black screen, with text stating: A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. Status: 0xc000000f Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.
Note: Only Status and Info on this screen, there is no File name or location mentioned.

Process ends here, nothing can be done, system fails booting. Gone to BIOS changing boot order to drive, no luck.
Tried all variation of removing drive password, start the recovery in Legacy mode (that failed at start), disabling secure boot, etc. No luck.

Removed SSD and wiped again with Diskpart as well as Samsung Magician software to apply "Secure Erase" to bring the SSD back to factory state. Next is to open Disk Management: immediately being prompted to set up the SSD to GUID or MBR. Selected GUID once, started recovery again, all goes smooth until the same error. Then wipe with Diskpart, again Disk Management: set up SSD to MBR. Same error at the end of recovery process.

Note: the SSD drive remained "Unallocated" after wiping, and setting up to GUID or MBR. No other partitions used. Never. Technically factory SSD. Only thing noted with the SSD is that it allocates a 30GB for Over-Provisioning. But that shouldn't affect the recovery process.

QUESTION: why this error occur:

And what the error that follows above "Append fail" error:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. Status: 0xc000000f Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Machine:
Acer S3-391, came with Win8 installed.
New hard drive (the Samsung SSD) being installed hence the recovery needing.

Aim: to bring the machine back to its factory state except the new hard drive. I am happy with Windows 8 being installed. NOTE: yes, I prefer to have all Acer bloatware.

Note: I have not created a USB recovery media when first started to use the machine, I only have the recovery disks purchased form Acer.

Question:
HOW TO AVOID:

HOW TO AVOID (assuming if above fixed, this won't occur???):

THANK YOU ever so MUCH!

Answers

• What is the ssd model you purchased? Have you tried cloning hdd to ssd?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • cicori
    Hello and thank you for getting back. SSD is a Samsung 860 Pro 512 GB. Had been scanned and no error found. My Acer machine has been also scanned after the failed recovery for memory testing, deep scan, no error found.
    Cloning isn't an option as I wiped the old HDD, which didn't have the factory Recovery Partition anyway due to clean install of Win10.
  • Try installing windows in uefi mode, like this:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • cicori
    Yes, I tried but not Win10 as I said my aim is to install from factory disk which brings back to Win8 but with Acer bloatware which is fine. When I did the recovery I did it in UEFI mode.
  • cicori
    Screenshots:

• Is there a function called secureboot in bios? If so, you must disable it by creating a password in setsupervisorpassword.
    Regarding the first image, the notebook is accessing Acer recovery partition (d2drecovery). But since you replaced hdd with ssd, that is why you are experiencing that error.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Would it be interesting to know if you are using an erecovery flash drive created by acer care center?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cicori
    Thanks egydiocoelho. Just to make it clear: of course the first images is when process is accessing Acer recovery. Then when it fails and produces the error, assuming that recovery process ended incorrectly???, then the Windows screen comes on.
    Yes, secureboot is disabled. Noted that Acer automatically sets up Supervisor Password (which is Frozen).
    I am using recovery disks purchased from Acer Care Centre. The disks didn't come with the laptop but I bought them this year providing serial number and everything else they needed.
    Again, the recovery process started, and copied files from disks, then started to install files, all looked OK until >>Append failed - ErrorCode=0x2 (ImageX cannot append image: WIMGAPI failure)<<.
    I would keep focusing on this error, must be related to something.
    Thank you, please keep suggesting :) 
  • At this link, there is a user with the same problem: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/completely-lost-on-recovery.1644658/
    It would be interesting for you to check if the same problem occurs with the hdd that came with the notebook.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cicori
    Thank you. Strange, it is suggesting that the memory module was faulty (assuming the memory module = RAM), guy replaced memory module and HDD and recovery from Acer disks worked for him. My RAM and hard drive seems to be OK. Wondering if doing the recovery process with original HDD (and not with the new and wiped SSD) would solve the problem? Does that really matter? I don't believe.
    What if RAM is OK in mine? Other ideas?
  • Can you send a screenshot of bios settings? I would like to know if the windows that was on hdd were in legacy (mbr) or uefi (gpt) mode.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cicori
    edited October 2019
    I changed some settings in BIOS, but it was in UEFI mode when I first started the recovery process. Thank you. Any idea of the actual error message? Could a memory module at fault yet loading and installing files for 3 hours?
    See screenshots of process.

[Edited the image as personal or inappropriate content displayed. Acer-Harvey]

Note: here i have actually proceeded with 100% partition size:

This went to 100% no problem. See that left side steps are ticked, so going all right so far...

System restarting 2-3 times:

Next was this screen:

Then this error:

System rebooting after clicking OK, then this screen is on:

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    1)replace the SSD.*

2) run memtest86 program to check the rams. if it finds any fault,  replace the damaged ram.

My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • cicori
    Thanks Deejay. However, SSD tested fine, no problems. All sectors are fine. 
    Sorry but I don't see your point replacing any hardware without truly identifying the error shown. Thanks anyway. 
    If memory run comes back all good then what's next? 
  • Deejay_tech
    well speaking from experience, recently even i had similar problem of installing win 10.  setup process would copy all the files to the ssd (Adata) , but on reboot and during the process of windows installing, it would give bsod and stop.
    same thing happened in all 3 laptops (all acers) i tried the ssd on.
    eventually i replaced the ssd and all is fine.
    ps: even i had run clean all command of diskpart. (instead of only clean command) on the ssd. 
    it might be a coincidence but i do not know , frankly speaking.
     there is a hardware issue in between your dvd - memory- ssd chain, which is resulting in your error.
    eliminate the possible causes one by one.

My personal Acer m/c's

• cicori
    Okay thank you Deejay. Makes sense, although all hardware worked fine before, I just thought to finally go back to factory state, when error experienced. Yes, it is possible to get hardware damage during dismantle and assembly but hard to believe that this is the cause. 
    I put SSD into another PC (after recovery attempt)  and Acer partitions shown. 
    I read somewhere that a it is possible to generate a new boot file (Boot Configuration Data) on the SSD that might be missing or corrupt after recovery process, and creating that file could solve the issue. 
    Any experience? 
  • Deejay_tech
    if you could try another ssd or hdd even, to load the OS , then it will show atleast your system and ram is ok.
    if the same error is there in the new drive (new ssd or hdd) then we know the problem is in the other part of system, not in your samsung ssd.

use the bootrec command to regenerate the boot record.
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

and try...
    My personal Acer m/c's

• cicori
    edited October 2019
    Deejay, sorry, I don't get what you said. I can only remove the Samsung SSD and start recovery process on another drive, so only then I can load OS on my machine, right? Or how could I load OS? Can you expand? I don't even know how can I get to Command prompt without Windows loading...

I tried to load Recovery Disk DVD hoping it prompt me at the first page of recovery, choosing either Repair OS or Full Reccovery, but it jumps straight to the "Appending" process that cannot be stopped or turned off. So stuck there, wait until error populates, then laptop restarts, which leads to the previously described "Windows failed to start" screen...

My another guess at this stage if I try to use a USB stick on which I have a Win10 recovery media (created before on this laptop), then process with the recovery keeping the current hardware environment (Samsung SSD and RAM), and if it doesn't fail and Windows loads OK, then we can eliminate the fault of the Samsung SSD and the RAM - meaning that the issue lies elsewhere. Am I correct?
    If this scenario proves right, then my guess is that the genuine Acer Recovery media disks won't work with another (Samsung SSD) hardware... Can this be the case? If this is unlikely the case, then I could prove it by putting old HDD back, use either the Win10 USB recovery media or the genuine recovery disks and recover. If pass then the factory recovery media isn't compatible with another hardware, in this case with the Samsung SSD...
    Does it make sense?
    If recovering from Win10 USB Acer media fails with same error, then you are right, the issue can be with hardware environment, e.g. Samsung SSD or RAM.
    Who is interested in knowing? :) 
  • It may be what fellow Deejey_tech said. I would try the following:
    a) would connect the old hdd and try to reinstall erecovery. If it works, it indicates that something is wrong with ssd. However, there is a possibility that you can use a microsoft iso and try windows on ssd.
    b) disconnect the rams memories and check in which one the error manifests itself.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer