Aspire GX-781 can not find PCI-E card

Gorm
Gorm Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Have just installed a PCI-E video capture card. But the PC can not find the card. I have installed the drivers. The PCI-E card works fine on two other computers. I have updated the BIOS.  Nothing shows up in the device management. Any ideas, pse?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Sorry can't offer much help. I had similar issues when trying to install updated cards on HP & Dell desktops. No video whatsoever when installed. I eventually gave up trying. I concluded that the firmware writers & card designers must've had a failure to communicate.  :)   Jack E/NJ 

Answers

• What is the video card model? There must be some bios function that enables the discrete video card in video output.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Gorm

Tinkerer

Hi. Thanks for the answer. But it is not the video card but a PCI-E card for recording video. In fact it is all PCI-E cards the computer can not find.
  • OK! Even so, go to video output and select discrete.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Gorm

Tinkerer

Hi. O tried it, but the items are greyed out. I can not select it. It is under 'Advanced' Intel AES-NI is disabled and it is possible to change it to Enabled. 'Video Output' is Discrete and can not be changed, 'Onboard Graphics Controller' is Disabled and can not be changed.

• Can you inform the model of the PCI-E card for recording video? Also, isn't it showing up as a hidden device?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gorm

Tinkerer

Hi.
    It's a very strange computer. First of all - no. The capture card does not show up under Hidden Devices.
    I tried to install the newest drivers with no luck. Another strange thing: I tried to replace the graphics card - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with another craphics card a GeForce 405 then the boot screen did not show up. Blank screen until the PC has booted up. And if I tried to tap the 'Del' or 'F12' during boot-up I had a blank screen for a very long time.

• Can you enter the model of capture video card?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gorm

Tinkerer

Yes. It is a Startech PEXHDCAP.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    What version of windows is installed on your desktop? Have you tried disconnecting the other video card?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gorm

Tinkerer

Hi. It is not a notebook but a stationary PC a GX-781 full size cabinet. I have only one video card installed. The experiment I described was that I replaced the original video card with another video card and then there was no boot menu only black screen. It tried the same with 2 other video cards with same result. So the GX-781 can only work with the original installed video card. And at the same time the PC do not detect a card in the PCI-e bus.
  • What I want to know is this:
    a) When you disconnect the offboard video card, is the image displayed using these ports?

b) In video outup, select onboard and in onboard graphics controller select enabled:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gorm

Tinkerer

Hi. After removing the graphics card I had video out on the backside HDMI connectors.
    Installed the video capture card but it did still not show op in device management.
    I could not update the StreamCatcher program. A program is missing and the program wants access to a .msi file which is non-existent.

• Have you tried installing by clicking "add legacy hardware"?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gorm

Tinkerer

The card and/or the company is not in the list.
    I think we stop now. I made a mistake in buying an Acer PC when I bought a new PC. This I have to pay for.
    Thanks for your efford. Sad there was no solution. Via diverse adapter cards I can use the PCI-e card on one of my old computers.
  • I understand your frustration. However, we do not try all solutions. What is the bios version? Have you tried reinstalling windows with the capture video card attached to the mainboard?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gorm

Tinkerer

The Bios version is R02-A4. I updated the BIOS few daya ago. And I am not going to reinstall Windows. It is a great work and it will not give any result, because the problem is in the BIOS. But I have tried with Linux it giving the same result - no PCI-e card detected.
  • Did this issue occur after the bios update? What was the previous version of bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gorm

Tinkerer

I don't know the former bios version. But the problem with PCI-e has been there all the time. It was part of my effort in making the PCI-e to work that I tried to update the bios. But all the problems remained. I had hoped Acer had corrected the errors (PCI-e and no boot menu using another video card) but it was not so. It is probably too much to expect the SW folks to check their work fully.
  • I will ask other ACE colleagues to also check this topic.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gorm

Tinkerer

Thanks.