Chromebook Battery at Red ! but refuses to charge

GardenerattheGate
GardenerattheGate Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a two year old Acer Chromebook Model N15Q8 that has only been used five or six times. It has been sitting on a shelf with the charger plugged in for the entire time I've owned the laptop. I need to use the laptop now, but when I open it up, I get a black screen with a red battery and an ! point indicating that the battery is depleted. I have unplugged it and replugged it in a variety of different outlets, but it never charges. I Googled for help options and never found a situation exactly like mine (numerous instances of this model only charging to 30% were found, but none where the battery was dead and the device refused to charge.

I have followed instructions I found associated with the partial charge issue to reset and charge the  device, but nothing works. One problem with those instructions is that all the instructions say that I must press a button that only appears on the screen, but I can't get any screen because the machine is dead (or nearly dead).

Is it possible that my charger (which is the one that came with the chromebook) has stopped working? Is there another possibility? 

Did keeping it charged constantly for 2 years but never using it cause the battery to expire?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

GATG

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    >>>Is it possible that my charger (which is the one that came with the chromebook) has stopped working?>>>

This is the most likely possibility. If you have a multi-meter, you should check the voltage output between the center and outer contacts of the charger's plug. It should be about 19v DC. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ