Predator PH315-52-78VL Can't add a 2nd NVME drive (1TB Adata XPG) - Windows 10 won't boot

Answers

• Zelmel
    Zelmel Member Posts: 22 Networker
    xapim said:
    Zelmel said:
    I have similar issue with my newly bought Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 with XPG SX8200Pro 1TB SSD. I tried all the method above and even swap both disk to different slot but once I put in the XPG SSD, the whole laptop just won’t boot up. 
    Please HELP!!!
    Have you tried the solutions above ?????
    Yes. 
    I did update bios
    i did swap the ssd
    i tested the new SSD on my PC and it work well
    i look into bios and the new SSD is in the hdd1 slot and my window SSD is at hdd0 slot. Not sure what else I should do
  • Zelmel
    Okay. After many try and error, I think I found the sequence how to install second SSD on the empty M.2 SSD Slot on Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 Model
    Hope this one can be guide to everyone out there. I try to make it easier to understand. Some of the step might not be necessary, but since i successfully booted my laptop using this sequence, why not stick to it.

1. Boot your laptop with the window SSD in the HDD0 slot, this one can check in the BIOS.
    2. Once boot, restart the laptop. Then F2 to go in BIOS, then choose reset to default (F9) then save setting and restart.
    3. After restart and booted into your laptop. Shut down laptop.
    4. Open up you laptop and insert the new second SSD into the empty M.2 SSD Slot.
    5. Close up the cover.
    6. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART - - - Power on your laptop and immediately go into your bios again by pressing F2.
    7. Now in the BIOS. Just go to the last page and choose save setting and restart.
    8. Don't do anything, your laptop should be able to boot into window and recognize the new SSD.
    9. After booted into window, never ever boot into your bios again. If your want to shut down the boot menu predator "scream". Shut it down in using predator sense. Dont ever go into the bios again. If not, you need to follow these process once more time. 

I am not sure in future if i added HDD to this laptop whether need to go through same process or not.
    At least i am using my laptop to reply this forum now. yeah =)

• Zelmel
    If you missed step 6, you might need to redo from step 1.
  • aceerfan
    aceerfan Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Acer need to fix this! can somebody escalate this issue to acer so that a bios update can patch this issue!

Tips 1: For gaming laptop make sure before you shut down especially after a heavy gaming session to let it cool down for at least 10min before you switch it off!

• Zelmel
    I bring up to acer global and my local acer support. Hope they took this issue seriously 
  • Mayday981
    Mayday981 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Zelmel said:
    Okay. After many try and error, I think I found the sequence how to install second SSD on the empty M.2 SSD Slot on Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 Model
    Hope this one can be guide to everyone out there. I try to make it easier to understand. Some of the step might not be necessary, but since i successfully booted my laptop using this sequence, why not stick to it.

1. Boot your laptop with the window SSD in the HDD0 slot, this one can check in the BIOS.
    2. Once boot, restart the laptop. Then F2 to go in BIOS, then choose reset to default (F9) then save setting and restart.
    4. Open up you laptop and insert the new second SSD into the empty M.2 SSD Slot.
    5. Close up the cover.
    6. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART - - - Power on your laptop and immediately go into your bios again by pressing F2.
    7. Now in the BIOS. Just go to the last page and choose save setting and restart.
    8. Don't do anything, your laptop should be able to boot into window and recognize the new SSD.
    9. After booted into window, never ever boot into your bios again. If your want to shut down the boot menu predator "scream". Shut it down in using predator sense. Dont ever go into the bios again. If not, you need to follow these process once more time. 

I am not sure in future if i added HDD to this laptop whether need to go through same process or not.

Hi, I'm about to purchase a second SSD drive. I had a question for step #1. I don't understand what you mean by booting the laptop with the window SSD in the HDD0 slot. Are you saying Windows should be saved on the HDD0 slot? 
  • Mainerunr
    Mainerunr Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Mayday981 said:
    Zelmel said:

5. Close up the cover.

Hi, I'm about to purchase a second SSD drive. I had a question for step #1. I don't understand what you mean by booting the laptop with the window SSD in the HDD0 slot. Are you saying Windows should be saved on the HDD0 slot? 
    Go into your BIOS before doing anything else and check which slot your windows drive is assigned to.  If it is not HDD0, move it to the other slot and check again.  Once it is in the HDD0 slot, then proceed per the instructions (unclear to me why you can never, ever go into BIOS again, I'm sure I will find out for myself eventually though).
  • Zelmel
    edited October 2019
    Mainerunr said:
    Go into your BIOS before doing anything else and check which slot your windows drive is assigned to.  If it is not HDD0, move it to the other slot and check again.  Once it is in the HDD0 slot, then proceed per the instructions (unclear to me why you can never, ever go into BIOS again, I'm sure I will find out for myself eventually though).
    I done the step twice. First time after I success, I used my laptop for few hours to set up everything and transferred all my game folder to the new drive. Then i went into my bios just to shut down startup music sound (I knew I can do it in Predator sense). Then the bios can’t detect my second drive anymore. 
    So I redo again those step, and my laptop are normal until today. 
    Some of the step maybe not needed I am not sure. 
    But I successfully reboot my laptop without hiccup twice using same step. 
    I not dare to test whether any of the step is redundant. 

My hypothesis what what can be wrong. 
    1. Adata SSD problem
    2. Storage 1TB and above got problem but less than 1TB maybe normal. 
    3. Bios auto set to RAID mode when we just put two SSD at same time. 
    4. Bios bug. 
  • Zelmel
    edited October 2019
    Mayday981 said:
    Zelmel said:
    Ya. If you check inside bios. Our m.2 SSD slot have two, labelled as HDD0 and HDD1. There is another third slot named SATA slot if I not mistaken for the 2.5inch drive. 
    When I first check, my boot drive is at HDD1 slot. 
    So I put the boot window SSD (the one come with our laptop) in the HDD0 slot. 
  • aceerfan
    aceerfan Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Acer haven't fix this yet? pls can official acer team give a response on this issue!
    Tips 1: For gaming laptop make sure before you shut down especially after a heavy gaming session to let it cool down for at least 10min before you switch it off!

• Mayday981

Tinkerer

Mainerunr said:
    Mayday981 said:
    Zelmel said:

5. Close up the cover.

Thank you I appreciate the clarification. 
  • Mayday981

Tinkerer

Mainerunr said:
    Mayday981 said:
    Zelmel said:

5. Close up the cover.

Thank you I appreciate the clarification. 
  • Zelmel

Installed 2TB SSHD into the HDD slot. 
    This time nothing was done and it reboot perfectly. 
    I think the above bug only disturb M.2 SSD slot. But what kind of bug. Really unsure.
  • ChodaBoy
    ChodaBoy Member Posts: 4 New User
    Has this issue been resolved? Is it possible to add a 1TB NVMe SSD without going through all of the contortions of resetting BIOS and not being able to boot back into BIOS?
  • Zelmel
    edited November 2019
    Unsure. Not dare to test. Are your going to add NVME SSD? Then if the first try you can’t  get the SSD to work. Then you try my method. 
  • ChodaBoy
    ChodaBoy Member Posts: 4 New User
    If I find a really great Black Friday deal on an NVMe SSD, I may get one. If I do, I will update here with my experience.
  • Zelmel
    Unsure whether there is bios upgrade or not recently. 
  • Margas
    Margas Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello everyone,
     I got to this forum lookng for a solution when my Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51 couldn't boot my new Adata M.2 NVMe SSD. I purchased 2 SSDs at the same time - 1TB Samsung  SATA SSD and 1TB Adata, the same model everyone writes about in this topic. I wanted to buy Samsung 970 EVO but there was none in the shop where I went to, so I sticked to Adata.
     I copied the system to another USB disk, took off the down cover and began to change disks. There where no problems with Samsung SATA, but as for changing the M.2 disk I had a problem, because when I turned on BIOS I couldn't see it as a bootable device, but I saw it as HDD0 disk in the first BIOS menu. I went through a lot of disk changes etc. At first when I plugged USB drive, my Predator didn't see M.2 drive and I couldn't install Windows.

In the end I tried the method below:
    Zelmel said:

5. Close up the cover.

But evem then PC didn't want to enable my Adata to boot. But I tried going into Windows installing process from USB, and then suddenly... my Adata SSD appeared as available for system installing. I did it, and so far everything seems fine - I'm copying all software and files, and eveything seems fine. I did not went into BIOS sice I'm a little scared something may crash. 
    Hope it helps someone, but still it's a shame for Acer not to help with this issue.

• Zelmel
    edited November 2019
    That interesting. Even PH315-51 also facing the same problem. Is it the Adata problem then, did problem happen with Samsung SSD? Or bios for both PH315-51 and PH315-52 are the same ?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Zelmel as far as im aware i had never seem this issue before on any other drives so you might be right this might be an adata incompatibility somehow and the bios are not the same because the mobos arent the same the PH315-52 its an inverted mobo and the laptop its much smaller and more compact

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/