Aspire 5 A515-51-596K hinge broken and screen splitting

sao2
sao2 Member Posts: 1 New User
After having my Acer 5 A515-51-596K for a little over a year, the hinge (it's on the right side when the laptop is open) suddenly started breaking when I tried to open the lid.  Then it broke and some small piece flew out, and the metal hinge started sticking out.  Then the hinge was so broken that when I tried to open the lid, the the screen started splitting open.  And now I can't even see anything on my laptop because the screen is white when it's on.  Anyone know what I should do?  It's unfortunate that it suddenly started breaking soon after the 1 year warranty was over....  I don't think I'll every buy a Acer laptop again after this incident. This has never happened to any of my previous laptops before.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,733 Pathfinder
    @sao2
    you need to check with a local tech to check on the laptop. It might be problem with LCD or the cable connects to the display.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
     Hello sao2,

We are sorry you are experiencing issues with your Acer product, can you kindly send the serial number of your unit in a private message, please.

Regards,
    Acer-Karp.
    minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • gabigorria
    gabigorria Member Posts: 1 New User
    sao2 said:
    After having my Acer 5 A515-51-596K for a little over a year, the hinge (it's on the right side when the laptop is open) suddenly started breaking when I tried to open the lid.  Then it broke and some small piece flew out, and the metal hinge started sticking out.  Then the hinge was so broken that when I tried to open the lid, the the screen started splitting open.  And now I can't even see anything on my laptop because the screen is white when it's on.  Anyone know what I should do?  It's unfortunate that it suddenly started breaking soon after the 1 year warranty was over....  I don't think I'll every buy a Acer laptop again after this incident. This has never happened to any of my previous laptops before.
    Im from argentina and im having the exact same issue. However mi screen is still working and i want to fix this befores that happens. Unfortunately i cant get to reach anyone here because of the covid and this laptop has less than  a year so i would like an answer from acer. It clearly is a hardware problem from the factory.
  • pedroferraz2012
    pedroferraz2012 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm having the same issue, the left hinge is broken since a while, I'm been very careful to open the lid, but the screen seems getting loose, I'm afraid it will damage the lcd
  • pedroferraz2012
    pedroferraz2012 Member Posts: 2 New User
    my hinge is broken as well, do we have any support for it in Australia, Melbourne or we fix by ourselves?
  • ProvideIT
    ProvideIT Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a client who's Laptop has the same issue.
    It is a month out of warranty.
    Given that it appears you knew about this production/design flaw well before the sale of this particular laptop, I'm surprised you were still producing/selling them.

What course of action do you suggest I follow to repair it or get it repaired?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    sao2 said:

Its very unfortunate that you have allowed this broken lower case hinge securing points issue to continue so long that its damaged the screen/bezel and damaged or dislodged/broken its cable and you are getting “the screen started splitting open.  And now I can't even see anything on my laptop because the screen is white when it's on” if you are computer savvy, then you could have fixed the bottom case “Hinge” issue by replacing the lower casse with a new one as that is the only solutions/fix to a “Broken Hinge fixing point Problems” as the hinge is always OK when these mounting points break from the bottom case and/or you should have taken this laptop initially to an technician that could have changed the lower case for you. Unfortunately now you have no other choice as you either replace the LCD screen and Bezel yourself and the bottom case (if you know how to do it?) or take it to Acer or an experience tech. 

Here are all the OEM replacement parts and part number that you need to fix your laptop, with the LCD screen you need to check which LCD screen you have fitted on your A515-41 to match it and replace it with the list of OEM parts for your A515-41 below, good luck and hope this helps you out.

• EngineeringDude
    EngineeringDude Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am currently having the same problem with my ACER Aspire 5 5 A515-51.
    Although it hasn't damaged the screen yet, it is pulling at the bezel around the LCD at the front and also splitting the LCD casing near the hinge.

What am I supposed to do? The laptop is barely 2 years old, rarely used. Never dropped or damaged in anyway, it's basically brand new and this issue came out of no where. So disappointed
  • messy1
    messy1 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same issue. This is clearly a manufacturing defect and Acer needs to resolve this immediately, warranty or not. Pretty ridiculous.

• jojocuca
    jojocuca Member Posts: 1 New User

Same here! My daughter's machine was bought on February 2020 at a FNAC shop in Portugal. Has ACER provided a solution or at least responded to anyone with this problem?