Chromebook 14 CB3-431 Battery Icon not showing up and only works when plugged in

ALMSFCA
ALMSFCA Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
The battery icon is not showing up on the bottom right had corner and when I unplug the AC adapter the computer shuts off.  I tried the battery reset by holding down the power button for 15 seconds but nothing happened.  Now what?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Likely the long period without charging has allowed the battery to get below the recharge threshold. When the lithium-ion batteries get to low recharging is disabled for safety reasons. It's typically not a problem because it takes months sitting unplugged to cause that failure. Unfortunately it likely means a battery replacement, fortunately they aren't too, too expensive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• ALMSFCA
    Update....did the battery test via crosh and it came out with no battery found.  This chromebook has been in a box for a year and this is the 1st time it's being used.  I had to update date Google Chrome but I did notice before i did that the battery did show up in the right hand corner.  Could the update have done something?  Don't really want a laptop I have to keep plugged in to use it, kinda defeats the point.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Likely the long period without charging has allowed the battery to get below the recharge threshold. When the lithium-ion batteries get to low recharging is disabled for safety reasons. It's typically not a problem because it takes months sitting unplugged to cause that failure. Unfortunately it likely means a battery replacement, fortunately they aren't too, too expensive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ALMSFCA
    No too expensive but how complicated is it to replace?
  • billsey
    You take out about a bazzilion screws from the bottom and gently pry it off to access the battery, then disconnect the battery cable and pry again to get the battery out (it's held by double sticky tape or something similar). Reverse to replace.