Acer Swift SF314-56G - with very good hardware, why is he lagging?

MigelAntonio
MigelAntonio Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I recently bought Acer Swift SF314-56G. It is amazing laptop with excellent specs including nice design. However, even though i don't play very often games and use it most of the time for working and surfing etc, occasionally i do play last time when i am bored. I have model with

Intel® Core™ i7-8565U Prozessor (8 MB Cache, bis zu 4,60 GHz)
35.5 cm / 14 Zoll
512 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
12 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 2 GB
Windows 10 Home

Laptop is running excellent, i love SSD, he is starting and loading programms extremly fast. But still isn't heating too much. Even while playing games for a longer time CPU doesn't go higher then ca. 100 degrees, GPU max ca. 70 degrees, ventilator doesn't spin too fast nor loud. Everything seems to be fine.

BUT....

For example... 

I do play GTA 5... on a bit lower details and resolution i get nearly perfect smooth running game. Its running really smooth and i am so satisfied.. Lets say for 20 minutes, then comes lagging. It seems like something would do some operation or hardware get overheated (but i don't think so, temperatures still stay by max 100 cpu, max 70 gpu), and since that moment its lagging and fps is going extremely down... Game gets stucked every moment again and again. I don't undestand why. It is running in those first minutes so smooth with any loading or stucking. Even when i close the game and do open some other, the other one is stucking as well. Loading times in games are much higher in that moment.

The same makes Kingdom Come.. Lower resolution, low details.. Its running smooth and good, sometimes longer, sometimes 30 minutes, just like GTA 5... And then the same problem... It laggs as hell a bit later. Games are not playable anymore later then.

It's doing anytime no matter if i am playing on battery, or if the laptop is in the power. I did all latest updates of windows and graphic cards. I managed performance instead quality by Nvidia settings and of course set dedicated nVidia card like the default one. I uninstalled antivirus and many apps just to try if they aren't the reason, i managed the power setting to high performance with 100 procent of Processor power, but nothing helped. No other operations and no other programms are running during my playing so nothing else seem to be taking my performance after checking Task manager. After some time i close the games and let the laptop rest and then its running good for some time.

Can you tell me what is the problem? This laptop has better specs then my brothers older laptop from Asus, but he gets completely smooth games running all the time with lower benchmarks results then me.

Thank you for your advices
Mike

Best Answer

• MigelAntonio
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    Polar schrieb:
    Hey guys what the throttlestop vision did you used,I can't install that. PlZ

ThrottleStop_8.70.6

I opened TS.. Went into 'FIVR' option .. Changed the offset voltage to -100.6 mV Each of the 'core active' on Turbo Ratio Limited to 22 . I din't change 'Max' settings and left it by default. Saved it and turned on after Win started..

Then its working and temp is much lower.. 

Answers

• MigelAntonio
    All right, after i tried many settings and cleaning etc, i just decied to format my laptop to point zero and install new last version of windows to delete all the stuff which was preinstalled and set by buying.

My laptop seem to be running much more faster and does no more lagging, games are much smoother then before.

Solved... Thanks anyway
  • MigelAntonio
    Ah okey, too soon wroten... No, its not fixed. Problem occures again, just the same, even though my fps are better until it laggs again ... I think something is wrong in this laptop... Heating or so, i don't know... Does nobody really know what it could be?
  • Jomarce
    Jomarce Member Posts: 2 New User
    It seems to be a thermal throttling issue. There´s a lot of videos in Youtube about this problem. Don´t forget your notebook does not have gamer specs.
  • Jomarce
    Jomarce Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ah okey, too soon wroten... No, its not fixed. Problem occures again, just the same, even though my fps are better until it laggs again ... I think something is wrong in this laptop... Heating or so, i don't know... Does nobody really know what it could be?
    It seems to be a thermal throttling issue. There´s a lot of videos in Youtube about this problem. Don´t forget your notebook does not have gamer specs.
  • MigelAntonio
    Jomarce said:
    You may be right, however, i did turn my room ventilator on the max power and put my laptop in front of it while playing and laptop was "ice"cold all-over the body... And it did still lagging
  • MigelAntonio
    I did fix the problem.

I undervolted my CPU with ThrottleStop software, which - while turned on - made my CPU Temperature going lower about ca 10 degree, now i do get all the time the same FPS in games again. Even more then before undervoling
  • Polar
    Polar Member Posts: 1 New User
  • Kno63
    Kno63 ACE Posts: 15,228 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    Hi,
    you wrote "CPU doesn't go higher then ca. 100 degrees, GPU max ca. 70 degrees".
    Your CPU starts throttling at 98°C to prevent the system from a complete shut down at 100° degrees:

When throttling (98^C) the fps will decrease.
    By the way: I have a Predator G9-793 with a GTX 1070. Do you think I would have paid nearly triple of the price of the SF314-56G, if the gaming performance wouldn't be much better? ;-)
    regards
    Jochen
    "There's more to the picture than meets the eye ..."
    Ich bin kein Acer Mitarbeiter!  :-)

• MigelAntonio
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    Polar schrieb:

ThrottleStop_8.70.6

I opened TS.. Went into 'FIVR' option .. Changed the offset voltage to -100.6 mV Each of the 'core active' on Turbo Ratio Limited to 22 . I din't change 'Max' settings and left it by default. Saved it and turned on after Win started..

Then its working and temp is much lower.. 

• ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    nice post, I had similar experience using a tweaked Intel XTU to undervolt around -80mV for an i5 model.

Have you succesfully managed to undervolt the mx250 gpu using Asus gpu tweak 2?

This sf314-56g model has a 25W version of the mx250, but the gpu benchmarks of mine are similar to the 55G model with 10W, that I read on internet. Have only 8GB ram and optane though