How Do I Put In a Formal Complaint? Predator G9-793

Hardstaff
Hardstaff Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I purchased a Predator G9-793 Laptop. After it was 3 Months out of warranty I was sent a BIOS/Firmware Update which I was forced to install. This caused my laptop to crash and now all I get is a black screen as the OS won't boot up. After going back and forth for 2 weeks explaining that this was a Acer firmware update and being told it was a Microsoft update (not sure how when it said BIOS_Update_1.14) I sent it off to be repaired and am now being asked to pay £1426.15 to fix it, which is about £100 less that I originally paid for it. 

Answers

• This is because windows update updates the firmware driver. Did the Acer icon with green progress bar appear before displaying the problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hardstaff

Tinkerer

Nothing appeared I came back to it after I had gone out and it showed BIOS_Update_1.14 download complete - Restart now. Then it restarted I got a black screen and writing saying installing firmware update do not turn off. I left it again came back and it was off, I turned it on and it the OS wouldn't boot I was just getting a blank screen.
  • OK! But does the Acer logo appear? Can you access the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hardstaff

Tinkerer

No I can't see anything and I can't access the bios all I get is a black screen. It doesn't boot up at all.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Hardstaff

Tinkerer

Thanks I'll give this a try when I get it back from Acer as I don't think they will try this for me.
  • I believe they can try yes. Ask them to use recovery crisis, because just use the correct file on the flash drive to fix the bios.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Hardstaff

Tinkerer

I have sent them a message asking to perform the recovery crisis you sent me. Hopefully they will try it and it will be successful 
  • Post the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Hardstaff

Tinkerer

They replied and said: 
    Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately that solution will not work, it needs a new main-board.

• If the notebook were mine, I would try to recover the bios with that tip posted by @xapim.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Hardstaff

Tinkerer

Yes, I think I am going to have to get it back and give it a try because a repair cost of £1426.15 is ridiculous I could buy a new one for that amount of money and it is slightly annoying that they won't even try this solution.
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    Hardstaff said:
    Yes, I think I am going to have to get it back and give it a try because a repair cost of £1426.15 is ridiculous I could buy a new one for that amount of money and it is slightly annoying that they won't even try this solution.
    Try to get back your laptop and do the process described by @egydiocoelho. Also, that asking price is too ridiculous. By the way, what's the "it" that showed BIOS Update complete? Also who sent you the BIOS update that you were forced to install?
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • It was windows update that forced uefi biosto be updated @XdxD.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• XdxD
    It was windows update that forced uefi biosto be updated @XdxD.
    Strange because for older models, it is not offered through Windows Update + Device Manager doesn't update the firmware automatically.
  • Hardstaff

Tinkerer

@XdxD Yeah I didn't think it was a Microsoft update when I saw it. It didn't look like a single one I've seen before. That's why I was thinking it was Acer who sent out the update. Then I checked Acers website and found that 1.14 is there latest version out and was like yeah that's the one it installed.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    What happens is that manufacturers send the .fd file to be deposited on windows update servers. You can download the .fd file straight from the microsoft catalog if any user reports this here:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi Hardstaff,

I am very sorry to hear this, unfortunately, we are unable to help you with the complaint process throughout the Acer Community, the forum discussions were designed as a peer to peer support community where Acer users help other Acer users with their questions or troubleshooting inquiries.

This community is not a direct portal to Customer service, Acer employees (moderators) may read the various topics posted here and you will notice that some Acer moderators may interact with members when appropriate. (case by case basis)

But primarily the community is a place where members can exchange their own advice, ideas, articles with knowledge and troubleshooting techniques. The Acer community is not design for direct customer support consultation, case status, complaints, parts requests or orders, sponsorship/donations request etc. 

You will need to discuss and arrange any changes with the local Acer repair center or you can escalate your request with the local Acer technical support call center 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/service-contact

Sorry for any inconviniances this may cause,
    Acer-Manny

• XdxD
    Hardstaff said:
    @XdxD Yeah I didn't think it was a Microsoft update when I saw it. It didn't look like a single one I've seen before. That's why I was thinking it was Acer who sent out the update. Then I checked Acers website and found that 1.14 is there latest version out and was like yeah that's the one it installed.
    Did Acer Care Center ever give you any updates? For my G3-572, it never gave anything.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    XdxD never got any updates here either on care center its always windows update who usually messes everything up and i have my doubts care center would send any updates at all never seen it before

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/