My brand new Acer Chromebook N16P1 is very slow :(

HEM_SPHERE
HEM_SPHERE Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, everyone
I am new to the Acer family and bought a brand new Acer Chromebook N16P1 in November 2018.

From the first day, it was slow but I hoped it would pick up as the days went by.

It's been nearly a month now but it still is very slow. I live in the UK and my internet speeds are high.

The issues I face as:
1) Slow responsiveness
2) Occasional freeze
3) Words on Google doc doesn't appear in real time (lag)

I have not installed any other apps other than what it came with.

Can someone please help me identify what could be wrong? I am a student and depend on this machine to get my work done. At most I have six tabs open on Chrome. I tried reducing it to three tabs but the issues still persist.

Please helP!

Many thanks!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder
    @HEM_SPHERE
    Try doing power wash, but this will delete the data on the unit. So back up the data and try. 
    1. Sign out of your Chromebook.
    2. Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift + r.
    3. Select Restart.
    4. In the box that appears, select Powerwash and then Continue.
    5. Follow the steps that appear and sign in with your Google Account.
      Once you've reset your Chromebook:
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • LittleJohnxxx
    LittleJohnxxx Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've done this and still the same, also I've tried to get in touch with someone in support and was blown off??? need help too.
  • IvorTollah
    IvorTollah Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    You might want to start by seeing if the problem is with the browser or with the hardware. Chrome has a built in task manager that will let you see how much memory and CPU is being used. The following article is a little old (2012) but the basic steps are still valid:
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-use-chromes-built-in-task-manager

I notice this particular brand of Chromebook has only 2Gb of RAM, this is probably only barely adequate for average Chrome browser usage and insufficient if you have a lot of tabs open at the same time. All those tabs take up their own space in the memory. There are a couple of apps in the Chrome web store that will suspend the other tabs in your browser and free up the memory they are using, you might want to try one of them.

If that's not the issue then the problem will be with the hardware, and if its brand new then should still be covered by warranty. You should have another go at getting some support if any of the remedies you try still don't produce any results. 

I hope this helps. 
  • RF_in_Van
    RF_in_Van Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just discovered this thread.  I have the same laptop and also have some of the same issues.  Lag when I type in google docs, slow opening of apps.  I also noticed that while my phone is getting 42 Mbps download on my home wifi, this laptop only is getting 6.  
    The lag when typing might be a ram issue.
    I 'm trying to find details on the wifi hardware to see if I have to change the settings on my home router.  
  • Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    I've done this and still the same, also I've tried to get in touch with someone in support and was blown off??? need help too.
    Hi, sorry to hear it. If you feel that the unit is under warranty, click the link below and choose your location and contact the support there.
    https://www.acer.com/worldwide/
    Hit Accept if its useful :)