X35 flickering(Acer X35 monitor)

Answers

• kot0005
    kot0005 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon

Thank you all to those who have replied. To be honest I have no HDR Games in my games library suppose I’ll have to go and purchase then download  a HDR game to see for myself if I have a defective monitor I hate to say it I could not justify paying what I did for this monitor to see any flickering on game screen I doubt I would keep this monitor but instead I would return it for a complete refund but so far I do not see any flickering on the desktop is there any way to test this flickering without purchasing a HDR game someone uploaded a picture of green bamboo vista and there are already scan lines in that picture so that picture is as good as hopeless.

I don’t know my monitor seems to be 100% with no fan noise ramping up and down and it is perfect I have no complaints but honestly, I have not played any HDR games as I do not own any.

Is there a way to test for the flickering screen using a HDR without resorting to purchase a HDR game.

Thanks

You bought a HDR Gaming monitor but have no HDR games ?!?!?!
  • Aldur67
    Aldur67 Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    kot0005 said:

Thank you all to those who have replied. To be honest I have no HDR Games in my games library suppose I’ll have to go and purchase then download  a HDR game to see for myself if I have a defective monitor I hate to say it I could not justify paying what I did for this monitor to see any flickering on game screen I doubt I would keep this monitor but instead I would return it for a complete refund but so far I do not see any flickering on the desktop is there any way to test this flickering without purchasing a HDR game someone uploaded a picture of green bamboo vista and there are already scan lines in that picture so that picture is as good as hopeless.

I don’t know my monitor seems to be 100% with no fan noise ramping up and down and it is perfect I have no complaints but honestly, I have not played any HDR games as I do not own any.

Is there a way to test for the flickering screen using a HDR without resorting to purchase a HDR game.

Thanks

You bought a HDR Gaming monitor but have no HDR games ?!?!?!
    To be fair, this monitor makes SDR games look amazing too.
  • TweetiePie
    TweetiePie Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter

Hello

Well at least I told the truth about having no HDR Games.  Yes, I did buy this monitor without having any HDR games my library is extensive but there are no HDR titles amongst them so I could buck that trend and buy Metro Exodus, or the division 2.  Suppose I am future proofing, this monitor is fantastic I have to say the build quality is second to none and I love the monitor to bits the colours in non HDR games are fantastic & to realise this monitor a HDR game will be required to see the benefits of owning such a monitor. Another fantastic title I am waiting on is Cyberpunk 2077 if you are into those games the problem lies with not every game will be in HDR Modern Warfare 2019 thankfully will be in HDR and fully optimised for widescreen with uncapped frame rate so my HDR game library will grow now I have a monitor to take full advantage of a HDR titles.

It just takes time to build a HDR games library I would not rush out and buy a title just because it is HDR take, the division 2 that is not a title I would be really fussed on I could pass it up as I purchased the division and did not really take to it so I am more selective. Games are expensive and then after a while the price drops like a stone so I am more fuss as to what titles I buy. I just wanted to find out if my monitor has the dreaded flickering that everyone is talking about before I run out of my 28 days return window and there are no HDR titles that I would be really fussed at owning at the minute as all the titles I’m interested in will be released in a couple of months’ time or early next year so I just wanted a hdr game I could try out to test the monitor so I will eb forced to buy a HDR title just to try this monitor out which I realise I will have to do.

• SonicB0000M
    SonicB0000M Member Posts: 24 Networker

Hello

Well at least I told the truth about having no HDR Games.  Yes, I did buy this monitor without having any HDR games my library is extensive but there are no HDR titles amongst them so I could buck that trend and buy Metro Exodus, or the division 2.  Suppose I am future proofing, this monitor is fantastic I have to say the build quality is second to none and I love the monitor to bits the colours in non HDR games are fantastic & to realise this monitor a HDR game will be required to see the benefits of owning such a monitor. Another fantastic title I am waiting on is Cyberpunk 2077 if you are into those games the problem lies with not every game will be in HDR Modern Warfare 2019 thankfully will be in HDR and fully optimised for widescreen with uncapped frame rate so my HDR game library will grow now I have a monitor to take full advantage of a HDR titles.

It just takes time to build a HDR games library I would not rush out and buy a title just because it is HDR take, the division 2 that is not a title I would be really fussed on I could pass it up as I purchased the division and did not really take to it so I am more selective. Games are expensive and then after a while the price drops like a stone so I am more fuss as to what titles I buy. I just wanted to find out if my monitor has the dreaded flickering that everyone is talking about before I run out of my 28 days return window and there are no HDR titles that I would be really fussed at owning at the minute as all the titles I’m interested in will be released in a couple of months’ time or early next year so I just wanted a hdr game I could try out to test the monitor so I will eb forced to buy a HDR title just to try this monitor out which I realise I will have to do.

Where did you buy your monitor from? 
  • kot0005
    I recieved my Monitor (PG35VQ) No flicker but i have scanlines, Acer is lying when they say "unable to replicate it" took me 5mins to check it using the no input OSD method and also by loading up an img and zooming in. Turning on the OSD removes the scan lines! same behaviour as others are having.
  • kot0005
    I am not sure if its just my unit but almost all my games have scanlines showing up when i run or move really fast, Borderlands 3, Division 2, metro exodus..

ok update, Flickering and interlacing in Division 2 in the jungle area https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyaKEewI5-I 
  • kot0005
    Acer/Asus not being able to reproduce this is 100000% BS. Straight up lying. There is no way these got through with 300+ tests Nvidia does to validate Gsync monitors.
  • ObiWonton
    ObiWonton Member Posts: 4 New User
    @kot0005 I have the same issue with the x35. I noticed this is DOS2 when I would pan the camera. It would flicker and I would see quick burst of scan lines. This was very consistent occurrence. I was able to find a solution while not perfect, but playable, within the graphic settings. Placing a lower FPS cap and using triple buffer w/ vsync active. 

Also acts wonky in Squad. Even static image will flickers while looking at certain objects.  Demonstrates the same behavior as your video. I was able to minimize the effect by removing any sharpening and using TFAA (which i don’t prefer since it blurs optics in game)

I still have my x34 so I’m able to switch displays and test. Haven’t been able to reproduce any of these issues with my older unit. 

Ive been patiently waiting for any update. Can this be fixed or not? If this can be solved I’m willing to hang on. Lots of great things about this monitor. 

However, there is no way I’m gambling on silence. My return window is closing. Fingers crossed. 

P.S. All flickering was replicated w/ and w/o the variable backlight enabled. 
  • TweetiePie
    I purchased it from A UK on line retailer I was lucky as one minute they were waiting on an ETA next minute one was available and I snapped it up still they are waiting on an eta even Acer own web site do not have the buy logo on the product page as they used to have buy and when you clicked on the link three retailers came up but now there is nothing is that a good thing or bad. Don’t know, but so far, I’m loving my monitor. They say a VA panel is not as good as an IPS panel but tell you what I am over joyed with the response times on this X35 it is absolutely fantastic and colours are crisp and sharp detail likes of which I have never seen before oh you do get small blooming and ghosting in certain screen situations but it is minimal and not a distraction unless you are total fussy and looking for it sure you will see it but my eyes do not see it as an annoyance or distraction as it is a fantastic monitor. I wont be changing my monitor
  • TweetiePie
    @kot0005 I watched your video and I could not see any flickering in your video. I did notice some change in contrast but is this not a feature of the game and if this is the so called flickering then this is something I can live with as to me it isn't even noticeable, suppose it would have been better if you used a screen capture software straight from the desktop rather than a capture from a cell phone as some parts of the video are not great quality distorted and it would be hard to make any judgement with the supplied evidence . It would be preferable if someone from Acer could come to join this forum and make comment as you Acer have genuine concerned individuals who are not at all happy with their purchases and are bringing the Acer name into question surely this is Acers time to shine and make comment rather than watch the forum boards as these boards are being watched. What I am struggling with is still the fact I love my monitor and as yet I have encountered no faults, now I do see blooming when moving the cursor call it ghosting but overall my experience is 100% bright vivid colours and the best panel I have ever owned. If the punters are experiencing faults with this monitor then surely Acer can reproduce them too, please Acer someone anyone from Acer please respond the community is listening. As a final comment I have yet to experience this flickering myself now I do not own any HDR games but with the comment @ObiWonton made then it is assumed with no hrd games this flickering can be reproduced. I still have 20 days to return this monitor so we will see and if thsi monitor of mine does produce any flickering it will be going back for a refund as paying £2200 is a whole lot of cash to pay for an item that is advertised as being flicker free.
  • Boatkettlecheese
    Boatkettlecheese Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    If he would of used capture software to capture the issue the issue would obviously not show because the issue is with the screen itself not whats being displayed on the screen...changing of contrast is used in some games as an effect for certain cutscenes or areas of enviroment. But rarely does it transistion in and out as rapidly as show here, so id say no that it is an issue. Try a HDR game. If the division 2 run the benchmark and look at the trees or the objects at the end as they have lines through them. Some people are less sensitive to flicker while others have certain medical conditions have hypersesitivity to flicker and will see these issues blatently. Such as myself. They are there if you look close enough. The more you use the monitor the more you will start to see them. 
  • kot0005
    edited September 2019
    @kot0005 I watched your video and I could not see any flickering in your video. I did notice some change in contrast but is this not a feature of the game and if this is the so called flickering then this is something I can live with as to me it isn't even noticeable, suppose it would have been better if you used a screen capture software straight from the desktop rather than a capture from a cell phone as some parts of the video are not great quality distorted and it would be hard to make any judgement with the supplied evidence . It would be preferable if someone from Acer could come to join this forum and make comment as you Acer have genuine concerned individuals who are not at all happy with their purchases and are bringing the Acer name into question surely this is Acers time to shine and make comment rather than watch the forum boards as these boards are being watched. What I am struggling with is still the fact I love my monitor and as yet I have encountered no faults, now I do see blooming when moving the cursor call it ghosting but overall my experience is 100% bright vivid colours and the best panel I have ever owned. If the punters are experiencing faults with this monitor then surely Acer can reproduce them too, please Acer someone anyone from Acer please respond the community is listening. As a final comment I have yet to experience this flickering myself now I do not own any HDR games but with the comment @ObiWonton made then it is assumed with no hrd games this flickering can be reproduced. I still have 20 days to return this monitor so we will see and if thsi monitor of mine does produce any flickering it will be going back for a refund as paying £2200 is a whole lot of cash to pay for an item that is advertised as being flicker free.

Then There imay be something wrong with your vision then, I have glasses and in 4k the scanlines and flicker is clear as day ! I its noot how technology works, screen capture...really.. captures and records frames directly from the gpu, not the monitor...
  • kot0005
    If he would of used capture software to capture the issue the issue would obviously not show because the issue is with the screen itself not whats being displayed on the screen...changing of contrast is used in some games as an effect for certain cutscenes or areas of enviroment. But rarely does it transistion in and out as rapidly as show here, so id say no that it is an issue. Try a HDR game. If the division 2 run the benchmark and look at the trees or the objects at the end as they have lines through them. Some people are less sensitive to flicker while others have certain medical conditions have hypersesitivity to flicker and will see these issues blatently. Such as myself. They are there if you look close enough. The more you use the monitor the more you will start to see them. 

Exactly! People buying these monitors without knowing the full advantages of the tech and how it works is really surprising. This is prolly why these monitors are still being sold instead of stopping sales till problem is resolved. There's prolly a lot of people who dont even know about this problem and continue to use their monitor.
  • TweetiePie

Well they say you learn something new every day and I did not realise that using desktop capture software would not capture the issue but rather using a recording source external does capture the issue on screen then what you are saying is some people are intolerant to the flicker and some wont be so susceptible to the flicker surely this is down to the end user and then is not a fault of the monitor itself but rather the intolerances of the end user with regard to the flickering issue and their sensitivity of their own eyes, that is not in fact a fault with the monitor itself if that is the case.

I have had my monitor for over one week and I am trying to find faults but so far nothing to report any kind of fault as my X35 is working perfectly, this is directed @kot0005 so basically you are saying I am a liar the same person who has not experienced any flickering and you are stating then I am telling lies that my monitor is 100% fault free well that flies in the face of my personal experiences with this monitor and I say to you my monitor is 100% fault free if you have an intolerance to the flicker then that is down to the individual person as stated by @Boatkettlecheese this is not something which can be a fault of Acer as a side note all these returned monitors why aren’t we seeing these monitor returns discounted for sale as there must be 1000’s of monitors returned by disgruntled customers by this stage. 

As for the availability of these monitors. I do agree there are currently none offered for purchase everywhere is pre order only and even Acer’s own UK product web site used to have (BUY) tab, places where to buy that buy button has been removed.

We can assume the reason why this Acer X35 is now on pre order only is for two reasons.

(1)    There is such high demand Acer can not keep up with demand and everywhere is sold out until the monitors are more available or (2) The reason is because there is a serious issue with these monitors that Acer is trying to fix without telling anybody and they have removed the product from sale until a fix is found, what happens to the customers like myself who have purchased this X35 will we be automatically upgraded if a newer monitor is released without said flicker that the commentators on this forum are complaining about it makes me nervous to tell you the truth.

I think it is time for Acer to speak to us the concerned purchasers as I do not myself want to be left with a Lemon, so much so even though I find no faults with my monitor it will result in me returning my monitor for a full unequivocal refund as I do not want a product years down the road no one would buy my monitor when it comes to upgrade time. So can Acer comment on the current situation do I have anything to worry about @Acer-Manny can you comment, as spending £2200 on your product are these monitors defective or what is really going on as total silence from Acer on this topic does not instil good faith I know you Acer are reading our comments closely in fact I dare say a moderator is being notified once a new post is posted so pass it along and please make yourself be known and speak to us the concerned customers put our minds at ease and I think everyone here would agree with my final sentence.  You see I am fair and I am giving my honest opinion on the matter I have 20 day return window open to me but I would actually start a return next week at the earliest. So Acer no comment on this matter within the next 4 days will result me returning my monitor for a full unequivocal refund.  Thank you all but I am fed up with all this faulty chit chat we need answers.  I am not paying £2200 for something which everyone says is faulty.

• damiensmunki
    damiensmunki Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Has anyone tried testing the monitor with a Mac? When I check the tree image on my PC, I can clearly see the scan lines. However, when I connect my Mac via HDMI and check the image at full-screen and 100%, I can't see the scan lines. For the first time, I'm hopeful this is a driver issue. Am I being delusionally optimistic? Anyone have a Mac lying around to try this?
  • Boatkettlecheese
    Have you looked at my videos Ive took of resident evil 2 remake on youtube? It shows you how to get the flicker to show in most games. Its blatently an issue. Its clear flickering in certain highly lit scenes with smoke/volumentrics. An issue is an issue; it doesnt matter how sensitive to the issue you are or even if you are fully concious to it, you might not even be noticing it but it still might be stressing your head and eyes out in the background making you tired. Its not supposed to flicker they have advetised this in three different places, they have highly designed electronics to ensure that flickering does not happen at different voltages/currents, and flicker in the range of even at 400hz would be picked up and seen as a fault. This flicker is able to be seen at 80fps plus. You keep infering people that do see this flicker are not seeing an issue. But overwelming evidence would show that they almost certainly are seeing an issue. We have all bought this very expensive monitor. You need to just play a HDR title for a while around smokey enviroments with overdrive on extreme. Sometimes 50% of the frames have either flicker or lines. Im actively trying to ignore them. Reviews have stated the issue, people have went into shops and seen the issue, people on here have captured the issue. Its indesputable and incontravertably an issue. Theres been no denying that it is an issue from acer and theyve had ample time to do so. Contary; Theyve said they can reproduce the issue. If you keep telling people on here the issue they are having is not an issue they will get frustraighted and this will carry over in thier responses and its obvious this is what it going on here. 
  • damiensmunki

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    As a follow-up to my previous comment about not seeing scan lines from my Mac, I thought that perhaps the HDMI input bypasses the G-Sync module (which could be causing the scan line issue), so I tried going HDMI from my PC, and I can still see the scan lines from the PC. So no scan lines from Mac via HDMI, and yes scan lines from PC via HDMI. Do you guys think this might indicate the problem could be solved with a driver from NVIDIA? I know this doesn't address the flickering. I'm just talking about the scan lines for now. Not sure how to test for flickering on the Mac.
  • Boatkettlecheese
    Is this because it also bypasses overdrive functions because the issue seams to have something to do with overdrive also...
  • SopaConleche
    SopaConleche Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    My last comment vanished, something about needing review when I hit edit to fix a typo. In any case: I am able to reproduce with a 2014 macbook pro via HDMI using the forest image.

For overdrive: using the forest image I was able to get the scanlines with overdrive set to off. Normally with overdrive off the blurring/smearing seems to fix lots of movement based flickers.
  • damiensmunki

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    Is this because it also bypasses overdrive functions because the issue seams to have something to do with overdrive also...
    If this was directed to me, I just reconnected the Mac and tried with Overdrive set to Normal and Extreme and still didn't see scan lines.

When I had the PC connected via HDMI, I also set the refresh rate to 60Hz in the NVIDIA Control Panel to match the refresh rate output by the Mac to eliminate that as a variable, and I still saw the scan lines.
This discussion has been closed.