Acer TravelMate P2510-MG - NMVe SSD not showing in boot in BIOS?

rajnishg
rajnishg Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey Guys,
I have a Acer TravelMate P2510-MG Notebook, I recently purchased a Samsung 970 EVO plus NVMe SSD and installed it in my laptop.Then I re-installed windows 10 on my ssd formatting the old HDD.But in BIOS under Boot menu only HDD shows up not the SSD. As I want to keep the SSD as my first Boot order in priority. What should I do ??

Answers

• Hi,
    NVMe SSD is not compatible with your laptop model, you should have gone for a M.2 SATA SSD.
  • rajnishg
    edited September 2019
    Why?? There is a slot for NVMe SSD present on motherboard so it should support.
    Although my computer is working good only problem is it boots from HDD while windows installed in SSD. Hope it won't make trouble..!!
  • Kno63
    Kno63 ACE Posts: 15,228 Trailblazer
    edited September 2019
    I have a list from Acer, and there the slot of the P2510 is shown as PCIe slot:

What I would test: Clean the HDD with the diskpart command "clean all":
    Then unplug the HDD and install Windows on the SSD. You will not see the SSD in the Boot menu until the EFI bootloader is installed, but the Windows Setup Stick should recognize it. When Windows is installed and running you can plug in the HDD again and format and initialize it.
    regards
    Jochen

"There's more to the picture than meets the eye ..."
    Ich bin kein Acer Mitarbeiter!  :-)

• Kno63
    edited September 2019
    Addition: Just found this thread from you:
    As everyone can see, the NVMe is installed and recognized, so there should be no more doubt that the slot allows NVMe SDDs.
    I just saw the last comment of @egydiocoelho: May work too. Important is to clean the HDD, 'cause the EFI bootloader is still on the HDD. I'd prefer a clean install of Windows.

• Kno63 schrieb:
    Addition: Just found this thread from you:
    As everyone can see, the NVMe is installed and recognized, so there should be no more doubt that the slot allows NVMe SDDs.
    I just saw the last comment of @egydiocoelho: May work too. Important is to clean the HDD, 'cause the EFI bootloader is still on the HDD. I'd prefer a clean install of Windows.

Hi @K@Kno63
    Could you please point me where it says that NVMe drive is installed in that thread, I couldn't find it anywhere in that thread.

• Kno63
    edited September 2019
    >Could you please point me where it says that NVMe drive is installed in that thread, I couldn't find it anywhere in that thread.<
    with pleasure! ;-)   Take a look at this screenshot from rajnishg on the first site of the thread:

By the way: I'm only answering in this thread, because it landed (accidently?) at the german part of the community! ;-)
    regards
    Jochen

• Kno63 schrieb:
    >Could you please point me where it says that NVMe drive is installed in that thread, I couldn't find it anywhere in that thread.<
    with pleasure! ;-)   Take a look at this screenshot from rajnishg on the first site of the thread:

By the way: I'm only answering in this thread, because it landed (accidently?) at the german part of the community! ;-)
    regards
    Jochen
    Hi @Kno63
    Thank you for posting the link, according to the manual it is only capable of SATA SSD, hence my query, anyway, I think you are welcome in any community, it's sharing the knowledge and information, it will be useful to many, thanks again  :)
  • Kno63
    edited September 2019
    >Thank you for posting the link, according to the manual it is only capable of SATA SSD, hence my query, anyway, I think you are welcome in any community, it's sharing the knowledge and information, it will be useful to many, thanks again <
    I'm sure you know about the prob: The service guides that are provided for us ACEs only show generic informations and sometimes are outdated. Because of that I also sometimes gave misinformations to users. But the service guides are a basic "tool" we have, so we must trust the informations shown there, until we get corrected by reality! ;-)

• rajnishg
    Kno63 schrieb:

Then unplug the HDD and install Windows on the SSD. You will not see the SSD in the Boot menu until the EFI bootloader is installed, but the Windows Setup Stick should recognize it. When Windows is installed and running you can plug in the HDD again and format and initialize it.
    regards
    Jochen

Sorry, but i tried unplugging the HDD but still the SSD doesn't shows in boot menu
  • Kno63
    edited September 2019
    >Sorry, but i tried unplugging the HDD but still the SSD doesn't shows in boot menu <
    I told you before: You first have to install Windows on the SSD. Seems the installation before kept the bootloader on the HDD, so you  have to install Windows once again on the SSD.
    The SSD will not show up, until the bootloader ist installed. You will only find devices in the boot menu, when they are bootable and for that they need a bootloader.

• rajnishg
    okay , i will give it a try
  • Kno63
    rajnishg said:
    okay , i will give it a try
    And please leave the HDD unplugged during the Windows Installation on the SSD.

• rajnishg
    Kno63 schrieb:

regards
    Jochen

Sorry, but i tried unplugging the HDD but still the SSD doesn't shows up in the boot menu
  • rajnishg
    Kno63 schrieb:

regards
    Jochen

Sorry, but i tried unplugging the HDD but still the SSD doesn't shows up in the boot menu