second ssd nvm.e on predator g9-791

exlaval
exlaval Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
help guys
i bought a HIK VISION ssd drive off aliexpress.  the look is identical to the samsung drive installed.
the board sits like a charm. BUT HOWEVER.   THE BIOS 1.12 (latest according to predator support site) does not see it
i changed the mode from RAID TO AHCI  (which is the only option)
i saw another post that shows a change in the registry , which i did = 
please guys anybody help to make this thing work .
disk management does not see it either
much appreciated

Answers

• Hello,
    Is the Hik Vision model a SATA or NVMe SSD?
    France
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019
    exlaval this is the storage subsystem of your laptop and seems to me the second m.2 slot only supports sata not nvme (pcie x 4) someone correct me please if im wrong so if this is the case the m.2 that you bought if its nvme will not work on the second slot only on the first slot where you have your stock os drive you would need to get a m.2 sata only up to 2tb instead if you would want to use the second slot for the os drive

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• exlaval

Tinkerer

hikvision is an ssd nvm.e drive, it should work fine if i apply a firmware file
    however the link that came with the drive gives me a page to download but i tried several times on the cellphone it "APPEARS" to download a file "rar" but it cannot be opened , i get an error message. i have found that although obsolete this drive is still sold at newegg and many other us places.
    if someone can find it, i would appreciate it very much
    the full name is HIKVISION C2000 PRO NVM.E SSD (my first ssd is an identical type nvme but samsung)
    if you find the .exe file please let me know, btw CRUCIAL also makes identical drive and ALSO HAS A FIRMWARE file to make it work, would it damage the bios if i applied it. the firmware file is clearly made for Crucial. but its purpose is to make the drive "visible" in the bios not specifically to make the crucial ssd "actually" work. WHAT DO YOU THINK . please, thanks
  • exlaval

Tinkerer

to XAPIM
    M.2 is what i have.
    i need "something" to make the bios "see" that there is "something" plugged in the second jack .
    in other words the bios is not recognizing that there is something plugged.

• exlaval

Tinkerer

to Laurent_14
    The drive is an M.2 ssd = identical to the samsung in the first position. no sata, it is not a "hd" it is ssd
    according to the picture XAPIM posted for the subsystem. it shows optional for the second position ssd, which is what i am trying to do .
    i changed the setting from RAID to AHCI, still the bios does not see the second ssd
    thanks
  • exlaval said:
    ...according to the picture XAPIM posted for the subsystem. it shows optional for the second position ssd, which is what i am trying to do .
    Hello,
    This 2nd M.2 slot only supports SATA III SSD and not NVMe SSD.
    France
  • exlaval

Tinkerer

to Laurent_14
    is the sata iii sd the drive with the "2"  dents instead of the "1" in the nvm.e
    however the jack has only ONE tooth. why would this be , why not make the jack obvious so that there is no confusion
    so there is no way that this nvm.e thing will ever work.
    thanks so much
  • exlaval

Tinkerer

to Laurent_14
    this user installs a samsung nvm.e  m2  on the second jack. i followed exactly the specs on this video.
    why would this guy spend oodles of money and not have it work .
    i tried to contact him but i do not know how to do it thru youtube.
    perhaps you know how to reach him and get a full description
    do you know how to contacgt a youtube poster.
    it is driving me mad

• exlaval

Tinkerer

Laurent_14

I AM STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID , I just noticed that the youtube video, THE FIRST DRIVE IS M.2 and the 'SECOND' is SATA.
    you are 100% correct .
  • Although I think colleague xapim and laurent are correct, did you check if both ssds are recognized in the bios info tab?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    edited September 2019
    exlaval said:
    to Laurent_14
    this user installs a samsung nvm.e  m2  on the second jack. i followed exactly the specs on this video.
    why would this guy spend oodles of money and not have it work .
    i tried to contact him but i do not know how to do it thru youtube.
    perhaps you know how to reach him and get a full description
    do you know how to contacgt a youtube poster.
    it is driving me mad

Yes, you have noticed it already about the SATA SSD.
  • xapim
    edited September 2019
    exlaval said:
    Laurent_14

I AM STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID , I just noticed that the youtube video, THE FIRST DRIVE IS M.2 and the 'SECOND' is SATA.
    you are 100% correct .
    exlaval thats exactly what we had been trying to say you were putting the nvme in the wrong slot :p anyway i hope you get it working properly now :)

Bare in mind that the m.2 sata its reversed engineered it will work on both slots nvme or sata but the nvme will only work on nvme slots it will not work on sata :)

If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Acer support:

• exlaval

Tinkerer

to Laurent_14
    can you please tell me if i can put in the disc drive a ssd  like this one
    with the drive bracket . i do not use the dvd . so i thought may be i can get the ssd to go in that spot.
    the transmission speeds are the same whether its a small bar or a square, they are both sata
    thanks so much guys, i am overwhelmed by the response. GUYS YOU ARE THE BESTEST , BRAVISIMO for helping this 75 y.old who wants to put a round ball in a square peg
    btw , i contacted an exterior graphic box maker (i dont remember the name now, but i have it in my email) and it seems that there is a box that works with the usb c port in the g9-791 and it works with many regular graphic cards to keep this model going for many more years.
    the cpu is strong to carry the external box. so with the added drive and the graphic card we can have an up to date laptop for many more years to go.
    with you around i can sleep sound ./ THANK YOU GUYS

• xapim
    edited September 2019
    exlaval yes you can convert any cd/dvd r/rw laptop drive into a hdd/ssd with the correct form factor adapter for you model 

Acer support:

• exlaval

Tinkerer

to Laurent_14
    i think i will use my nvm.e drive with these 2 items and transform it into a sata 3 drive
    the following item is an nvme to sata 3
    and with the hdd bracket i can take out the dvd drive and put the nvme drive\
    the transmission speed will be the sata 3 speed but at the end of the day  the second drive next to the nvme is sata anyway so i will get the same transmission speed whether it is the dvd drive or in the second jack next to the nvme.
    also the price of the 1tb sata 3 in the nvme format is way more expensive than the sata 3
    so i convert the nvme to sata 3 and shove it into the dvd jack and away i gained a second drive.
    further i can clone the 1 tb with the smaller nvme samsung currently 250gb and swap the tb for the 250gb so i can have a 1tb primary and a 250gb back up
    what do you think
    thanks guys

• It can work! But I think the speed of the dvd driver sata port is sata 1 or sata 2 and not sata 3. Additionally, your notebook may not recognize the caddy adapter.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • exlaval

Tinkerer

how do i find which sata and why wouldnt it recognize it
    according to the youtube video i posted the user shows at the end that windows does recognize all 4 drives at the end of the video.
    i do not understand why the negative reply without proposing a solution.
    to be negative for the sheer pleasure of being negative is not helpful, opposite.
    at least my previous nvme issue was resolved with discussion , your reply sucks. sorry
    first my sata may be 1 2 why not -4 , do you have a proper data to back that up. or again you're tossing this just to be negative.
    gosh replies like thise irritate me to no end. why come up with sticks in the axles WITHOUT A HINT OF SUPPORT OF THIS POSITION OR A SOLUTION.
    unless you have support or solutions skip your answers
  • exlaval

Tinkerer

to egydiocoelho
    here are the POSITIVE ANSWERS TO YOUR NEGATIVISM
    this is a reply 6 years old. it clears up your notions.
    i entered the bios and it clearly indicates AHCI . that shows it is sata , it the bracket indicates sata 1 2 3 are speeds and they are backward compatible so

• Failing that, enter the BIOS and look for something called AHCI. AHCI is only available under SATA.
    • Failing that: the age check: If your laptop is less than 10 years old it will be SATA. If it came with a harddisk larger then 500MB it will be SATA based (both drive and CD/DVD ROM).
    • One more, which is rather kludgy. If you can eject a DVDDrive (not just the DVD, but the whole drive) then it is SATA in AHCI mode. (OLd IDE did not support hot-plugging and does not offer this option).

• DiI know that the sata 3 standard supports both sata 1 and sata 2 devices. The problem is that the dvd driver sata port may be limited to the speed of sata 2 (you can check this with hwinfo64). Because of this, the speed of ssd will be limited to sata 2.
    About the caddy, your computer may recognize it. But I've already checked in other threads from other communities, where the notebook didn't recognize the caddy adapter.
    There were no negative answers.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• exlaval

Tinkerer

to all, i looked it and the jack in the dvd drive is a Sata 3 and supports sata 3 speeds .
    so yes the caddy for the nvme sitting inside the dvd rom caddy plugs into the 7 and 6 sata 3 plug.  and yes sata 3 is the 7 and 6 connectors jack. previous satas are 7 and 15 and 7 and 22 connectors. 
    to Laurent_14, if i clone my 250gb into the 1tb and switch the boards will that work, giving me a larger c
    what would i use to clone and get a twin twin.
    please help, much appreciated, btw for a while earlier today i couldn't reach this site