CN715-71-743N - Linux on the conceptd 7?

sbolten
sbolten Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 27 in 2019 Archives
Is dual boot with Linux (arch or Ubuntu) possible on the conceptd 7?

Best Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    There are absolutely no "impediments" in Bios for installing Linux distributions.
    What exists is ways are methods to install due, not to Bios, but to the support of Grub, Kernel packages and graphical managers.
    Either Mint, Ubuntu, Debian or whatever distribution may be installed.
    Just knowledge.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Needing help, just post!
    B)
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Good afternoon sbolten !

Which EXACT ConceptD series model do you refer to?
    There are no impediments to installing any Linux distribution on devices.
    Just a matter of knowledge.

Just be aware that some hardware requires unique configuration software, such as touch screen options.
    In such cases, you must have advanced Linux knowledge so that, if necessary, you can manually configure the controllers.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• sbolten
    It's about CN715-71-743N. Linux Arch and Ubuntu knowledge is around. Have read that BIOS might prevent installation (raid vs ahci). 

Glad to hear that there is no other showstopper in sight. Would like to read about others experience installing Linux on this machine. So far - nobody seems to have done this.

Regards, S.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Strongly recommend LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.2. Just about the most pain-free dual boot installation out there for most ACER machines. Plus excellent Mint forums support. Won't use the optane card if you've got one in there. But optane's nearly useless in Win10 anyway these days with the low price of SSDs. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047
    You'll also be happy to know Mint can be rather easily setup to have virtually the same look, feel, functionality, predictability and stability of arguably the last halfway decent Windows version, Win7. With Linux' native ability to easily access all the Win partitions and seamlessly run many of your favorite WinOnlyApps under the slick new WINE overlay, there's little or no reason to boot into Win10 anymore.   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    There are absolutely no "impediments" in Bios for installing Linux distributions.
    What exists is ways are methods to install due, not to Bios, but to the support of Grub, Kernel packages and graphical managers.
    Either Mint, Ubuntu, Debian or whatever distribution may be installed.
    Just knowledge.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• sbolten
    Thx a lot. Just ordered the above mentioned notebook. I will leave a note about how it worked out once I received it.

Best S.
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Needing help, just post!
    B)

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• sbolten
    Hi,

just received the concept7 - 16 GB - 512GB - RTX2060..... everything went fine so far: resized and added partitions installed arch - now I have dual boot up and running. eveyghings look fine so far except the setup of the optimus graphics. After having intalled the nvidia driver (not nouveau) system uses nvidia graphics exclusively which drains battery quite fast. Bumblebee is not working (actually it is not bumblebee but bbswitch which can switch the card on or off. xrun or optimus manager are not an option for me. After searching the internet for quite a while I gave up and am now runnning nvidia only (power cable plugged of course). Any ideas?

Bought this laptop mainly for picture and video editing (darktable and kdenlive/Davinci Resolve). So far: Absolutely great - fast, screen is fantastic, no crashes...... really like it.

Regards,

Stephan
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Sounds good. Thanks for posting. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    sbolten said:
    Hi,

just received the concept7 - 16 GB - 512GB - RTX2060..... everything went fine so far: resized and added partitions installed arch - now I have dual boot up and running. eveyghings look fine so far except the setup of the optimus graphics. After having intalled the nvidia driver (not nouveau) system uses nvidia graphics exclusively which drains battery quite fast. Bumblebee is not working (actually it is not bumblebee but bbswitch which can switch the card on or off. xrun or optimus manager are not an option for me. After searching the internet for quite a while I gave up and am now runnning nvidia only (power cable plugged of course). Any ideas?

Bought this laptop mainly for picture and video editing (darktable and kdenlive/Davinci Resolve). So far: Absolutely great - fast, screen is fantastic, no crashes...... really like it.

Regards,

Stephan

Good afternoon !

Great!
    The battery life issue is virtually inherent in almost all Linux distributions due to the lack of certain kernel implementations.
    Possibly bug fixes are on their way!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• majobu
    majobu Member Posts: 2 New User
    MaClane said:
    sbolten said:
    Hi,

Regards,

Stephan

Good afternoon !

Great!
    The battery life issue is virtually inherent in almost all Linux distributions due to the lack of certain kernel implementations.
    Possibly bug fixes are on their way!

Good morning,
    I do have the same problem (same distribution, same notebook). The battery life issue is not a general problem of Linux.
    However, this acutal problem is that the drive for Nvidia canot be loaded after loading bbswitch. Without bbswitch the
    driver can be loaded successfully and can be used.

This implicates a higher power consumption due to the fact that the Nvidia GPU is not powered down after usage like using Windows.
    It remains powered on and the result is a smaller battery life.

While bbswitch is loaded, modprobe nvidia doesn't work. The error say "device not found". Without bbswitch, loading works.

Correct is that you have to tweak many options to Linux to get a better power management. But in this case the main reason seams
    to be the Nvidia GPU which is always powered on.

Best regards,
    Marcus