Acer Predator Z35 - Best way to connect two laptops to Acer Predator

OhGod
OhGod Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
Ello. :)

Just purchased an "Acer Predator Z35 35" Curved 1800R QHD 2560x1080 NVIDIA G-SYNC Z35P-BMIPHZ" online and since I don't have the S/N of my product yet, can't seem to be able to ask Acer Live Chat, and wondered if anyone here could help, please.

I'd like to connect two laptops to this one monitor.  What would be the best/easiest way to do this?  From what I understand, it 
has an HDMI port, a DisplayPort 1.2, and four high-speed USB 3.0 ports ... 

Any help is appreciated.

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good evening OhGod !

By default, most monitors do not support 2 simultaneous connections.
    When the upper access connection is being used, the second one will not be active.

In this case only if you use a switch like this:

httpsimages-nassl-images-amazoncomimagesI81KlrBOcjkL_SL1500_jpg

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• OhGod

Tinkerer

P.S.  I just Googled a DisplayPort 1.2, and I am guessing, i can connect one though this port and another through the HDMI, correct?
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good evening OhGod !

When the upper access connection is being used, the second one will not be active.

In this case only if you use a switch like this:

httpsimages-nassl-images-amazoncomimagesI81KlrBOcjkL_SL1500_jpg

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• OhGod

Tinkerer

Ahhh.  I read about those too.  Ok.  Will look further into it.  Thought I might be able to get away with buying a small adapter for the DisplayPort, but it was too confusing to know for sure.  Thanks!
  • OhGod

Tinkerer

Or actually, sorry, (I don't know how to respond or reply), I do not mind if they are not active simultaneously, as long as I can switch between the laptops.  Would the KVM Switch still be the best bet?
  • OhGod

Tinkerer

MaClane said:
    Good evening OhGod !

I wound up getting this one:   HDMI KVM Switch Button Switcher USB Port With Cable For Monitor Keyboard Mouse

Thank you for the reply.
  • MaClane
    Good afternoon!

In this case only using a same KVM switch, with mouse, keyboard and HDMi and DP output connections in your case.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yes, the KVM switch is the cleanest solution, but you could hook the two laptops up and use the monitor controls to change the source signal. The really nice things about using the KVM though is that it allows you to have one keyboard and one mouse to work both machines.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OhGod

Tinkerer

Hi @Billsey.  I currently use MS Garage's Mouse Without Borders to share my mouse and keyboard across the two laptops and two screens via wifi.  Love it.  It is amazing.  (IMO MS made up for Win10 with Mouse Without Borders. =) ).   

As for hooking up the two laptops to share one screen, yessss!  This is what I would like.  I am still waiting on the KVM switch, but received my monitor today, so if there is a way to do it until the switch gets here, that would be great.   
  • MaClane
    Good afternoon OhGod !

Functionally only KVM will meet your needs.
    I suggest you wait and report here once everything is working perfectly.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    There is also Remote Desktop Connection as a work around on a temporary basis. Just take over control of the second machine from the first and use full screen mode. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OhGod

Tinkerer

MaClane  gOT IT.  i'M JUST IMPATIENT.  :)

I contacted Acer too, and I was extremely surprised that they weren't very helpful.  The Agent did not even know what a KVM Switch is, and did not know how to make my computer recognize the monitor as the Z35 instead of just "Generic PnP Monitor" (same issue as in this post: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/541572/windows-10-drivers-for-the-acer-predator-z35-120hz).  The monitor even comes with a little card with a telephone number for "Dedicated Predator Support", and I always thought Acer was a step above other systems, so I was surprised and a little disappointed that I still can't get all the features to work.  

I'm glad this community exists, and thank you for your help.