How to replace the battery for Predator Helios 300 G3-571 myself?

SortofUnpleasant
SortofUnpleasant Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My brother is meant to help me, but he's currently working and I'm impatient... Also, I really like learning things on my own. Sad to say I haven't seen one video or forum on the internet explain how to do this for newbies like myself. My exact model is the Helios 300 G3-571 and I'm curious what tools (it's likely I have them) and steps do I use to properly open up the laptop, remove the current battery, and replace it with the new one? Is there any additional equipment I may need to purchase, or is it more simple than I think? And lastly, would you guys just recommend I follow instructions via phone customer support? I have had them help me install my SSD when I first got the device.

Just trying to be thorough so I don't waste anyone's time and keep asking question after question. Thanks you!

Answers

• TECH_MAN
    TECH_MAN Ally Posts: 453
    Hi SortofUnpleasant
    If the device is under warranty you may contact Acer support to get a replacement battery. 
    The battery can be removed, but I am not sure whether the laptop will work on charger only afterwards.

You have to open the lower case of the laptop, then follow these instructions for battery removal:

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.
    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • I believe this video will help you:
    Note that the author uses an antistatic wristband. However, I believe an anti static glove will be enough.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • aceerfan
    aceerfan Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    if your laptop is out of warranty or you just want to do it yourself you can search youtube for upgrading or disassembly video that may help you out. Do updates us on how it goes.
    Tips 1: For gaming laptop make sure before you shut down especially after a heavy gaming session to let it cool down for at least 10min before you switch it off!

• SortofUnpleasant
    SortofUnpleasant Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2019
    aceerfan said:
    if your laptop is out of warranty or you just want to do it yourself you can search youtube for upgrading or disassembly video that may help you out. Do updates us on how it goes.
    Update: SOOOO, the original reason I replaced the battery was because I had assumed my original one was done for. As of July (while plugged in), my laptop would say "plugged in, not charging". Only occasionally would it switch back to charging, but things changed this last week. My old battery officially stopped charging and the laptop would sometimes shut itself off for no apparent reason. It also gets hotter than usual while doing minimal tasks. It hasn't gone above 40% this week, so I just kept it plugged in so I could still use it for work. I looked high and low for help on how to resolve the issue. Nothing has worked. Physically resetting the battery from beneath the laptop, making sure the power interrupt button was in check, reinstalling the battery drivers, and uninstalling any recent windows updates that may have been messing with the functionality of my battery and it's charging process. Nothing worked. I called tech support, and like the robots they are, they refused to help me fix it from home and would ONLY suggest I ship it off to them so their guys can do it themselves. (I still have my warranty, but I work from home and absolutely cannot be without it for 2 weeks)

I just successfully installed the new battery and the moment I turned it on, it literally only said "plugged in" and refused to charge. I waited a few minutes and did the same 5 things I did before with the same results as last time. Reset battery, checked power interrupt button, reinstall battery drivers, uninstall windows updates, and called tech support. After all of that, the only upside to this new battery is that it IS taking a charge, but it still occasionally switches back and forth between charging and "plugged in" (AKA not charging).

Tech support once again would only suggest I ship my laptop off to them and I already told them I can't do this. I'm assuming the people that work for customer service work under strict rules, and they can't help me fiddle around with settings or the physical laptop itself in case they help me somehow fudge it up. I guess that's why forums like this exist-- real people, suggesting potentially risky solutions. It's honestly worth it, because I can't really handle these issues any longer and I think it's gross how common this issue is with little DIY solutions.
  • aceerfan
    aceerfan Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    aceerfan said:
    Update: SOOOO, the original reason I replaced the battery was because I had assumed my original one was done for. As of July (while plugged in), my laptop would say "plugged in, not charging". Only occasionally would it switch back to charging, but things changed this last week. My old battery officially stopped charging and the laptop would sometimes shut itself off for no apparent reason. It also gets hotter than usual while doing minimal tasks. It hasn't gone above 40% this week, so I just kept it plugged in so I could still use it for work. I looked high and low for help on how to resolve the issue. Nothing has worked. Physically resetting the battery from beneath the laptop, making sure the power interrupt button was in check, reinstalling the battery drivers, and uninstalling any recent windows updates that may have been messing with the functionality of my battery and it's charging process. Nothing worked. I called tech support, and like the robots they are, they refused to help me fix it from home and would ONLY suggest I ship it off to them so their guys can do it themselves. (I still have my warranty, but I work from home and absolutely cannot be without it for 2 weeks)

I just successfully installed the new battery and the moment I turned it on, it literally only said "plugged in" and refused to charge. I waited a few minutes and did the same 5 things I did before with the same results as last time. Reset battery, checked power interrupt button, reinstall battery drivers, uninstall windows updates, and called tech support. After all of that, the only upside to this new battery is that it IS taking a charge, but it still occasionally switches back and forth between charging and "plugged in" (AKA not charging).

Tech support once again would only suggest I ship my laptop off to them and I already told them I can't do this. I'm assuming the people that work for customer service work under strict rules, and they can't help me fiddle around with settings or the physical laptop itself in case they help me somehow fudge it up. I guess that's why forums like this exist-- real people, suggesting potentially risky solutions. It's honestly worth it, because I can't really handle these issues any longer and I think it's gross how common this issue is with little DIY solutions.
    hmmmmm if you use your laptop plug in most of the time like I am with my helios 300 then I think its acceptable limitation/shortcoming. else might have to send it in to acer don't forget to backup your data or remove the storage device. hope all goes well.  
    Tips 1: For gaming laptop make sure before you shut down especially after a heavy gaming session to let it cool down for at least 10min before you switch it off!

• Have you tried updating the uefi-bios firmware?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BopperNoStopper914
    BopperNoStopper914 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Im going to try this as well and see if i get the same results. even your result is better than the current no charge battery i have.