(SF315-41-R7EQ) Battery drain while shutdown and other miscellaneous

Webchuzz
Webchuzz Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi everyone,

I've got myself an Acer Swift 3 SF315-41 recently (model with Ryzen 2500u) and I've been enjoying it so far in general, either the performance and the build quality.

However, there is an issue that has been bugging which I've noticed recently. Even with the computer completely switched off (no suspending, no hibernatioon), I can lose as much as 10% battery charge overnight. 

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Disable "Fast Startup" on power settings
- Reset the battery using the pinhole method
- Follow the procedure to calibrate the battery
- Uninstalled ACPI-Compliant Battery via Device Manager and re-installed automatically

The issue still persists. I've been searching around in the Internet for any clues and I realised that there is a powered-off USB charging functionality in this laptop, so I additonally installed Acer Quick Access to switch that feature off but it seems that it is completely ignored, i.e, shutting down the laptop and the USB port is still providing power.

If it is noteworthy I've also got Linux installed and even switching the laptop off via Linux does not help with the battery issue at all, so I somehow think this is not OS related and it's maybe BIOS/UEFI related.

I went to the support page for my model and there is only one BIOS update available (1.04). This left me confused because when I boot into the InsydeH2O UEFI it tells me that I'm currently running version V2.01, which isn't even available anywhere online.

... and that pretty much sums it up. I really hope someone around here can shed some light on what might be happening - other than that the laptop works absolutely brilliantly.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Hi @Webchuzz
    Have you checked the the Event Viewer log?

Please try the below mentioned steps : 
    >>Press Windows key + X. Click Device Manager > Expand Batteries > Right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System. 
    Choose Update Driver Software. Make sure you are connected to the Internet, the check for updates. 
    >>Try disabling the power configuration in service.msc and check if it worked, however the battery must be 100% charged prior to doing this.
    >>Acer ePower Management is a tool that provides you with an easy, reliable and safe means of selecting a power scheme that balances your needs for extended battery life and processing power. This application is pre-installed on your device. If not installed you can install the same from Acer support page.
    >>If the battery still drains while shutdown, you may perform a battery calibration.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Webchuzz
    Webchuzz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi @Sharanki, thank you for the reply.

It seems some of your suggestions were already covered by me in the initial post so I'll just comment on those I haven't:

- There is nothing relevant in the Event Viewer regarding battery/power, other than the usual "Information" messages
    - I tried disabling the Power service but this makes it unable to control the brightness settings of the screen and not able to select any power plans, so not really a solution
    - I have downloaded ePower Management from the support page for my model but the archive doesn't have any setup files? Just a bunch of .bat and .exe files that don't really seem to do anything relevant.

I'm still puzzled by the difference in versions of my current UEFI and the latest (and only) available in the support page.
  • ktraving
    ktraving Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought my Acer Swift 3 in early september and experience the same problems.

I've followed the same steps that Webchuzz have, and also experience that the battery drains even though the laptop has been shut down.

Have you found a resolution / cause?
  • Customer3
    Customer3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello,

like the two of you I experience this Problems since I bought my Acer Swift 3 a few months ago. I followed the steps in this thread but it didn't help.

Did someone found a solution?
  • DJsharkman
    DJsharkman Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same issue here with same scenario.  Thought I was going crazy.  No solution found by myself yet
  • madfry
    madfry Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

My Acer SF314-55G is also exhibiting the same behaviour. 

Any explanations Acer?

• mafozi
    mafozi Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Same issue :s 
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited July 2019
    New Acer Swift 3, Ryzen 5.

Exactly the same problem, fully charged then left it off for almost 2 weeks and it now has 11% battery.  I also have the same issue on my daughters Acer Aspire 3  :(

I'll re-charge it and try using the pin hole battery disconnect tip I found elsewhere then update this thread.
  • Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    Phaedra have you check if there is any BIOS update for your model, to my understanding battery's can be discharge i think like -1% daily even when turned off, also make sure is turned off and not sleep mode etc. If the battery reset and BIOS update dont work, then i will strongly consider contacting your local Acer support channel.

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• Phaedra
    Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. 

I've tried all the various suggestions I can find on here without any change.  Updated the Bios and tried the battery disconnect.  Still draining around 10% in 24Hrs.

As I said my daughters Aspire 3 is exactly the same, it's an Intel CPU so a different chipset.
  • Phaedra
    Update.

Had a think about this and tried adjusting the amount of time pressing the battery disconnect switch as I didn't think 5 seconds (as advised by Acer) was long enough.

Result, holding the reset switch for 10+ seconds cured the problem.  I tried 10, 15 and 20 seconds, 10 or anything longer gave a battery drain of around 3% over 72Hrs, that includes switching it on to check every 24Hrs so less than 3% in reality  :)
  • Vishwan
    Vishwan Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2019
    I bought this laptop 3 weeks ago and I was constantly noticing the battery level dropping by 5% each day but then once I decided to charge fully and check the laptop after a week. I was very shocked that may battery level dropped to 41% from 100. I am very worried now its a new laptop.anyone please help me 
    It is not in fast boot recommend method 
    I think the problem is with the power off charge feature though I turned off it using Acer power management after I shutdown and connect my phone it still charges . please help me
  • Phaedra
    Try the battery disconnect method I describe above, mine has not lost battery power overnight since I did that (for 10+ seconds not the 5 seconds Acer suggest).
  • amdryzen
    amdryzen Member Posts: 1 New User
    Phaedra said:
    Try the battery disconnect method I describe above, mine has not lost battery power overnight since I did that (for 10+ seconds not the 5 seconds Acer suggest).
     I have tested, it didn't fix my problem, anyways, ill try again, tomorro ill say something about this
  • LongTom
    LongTom Member Posts: 1 New User
    amdryzen said:
    Phaedra said:
     I have tested, it didn't fix my problem, anyways, ill try again, tomorro ill say something about this
    Didn't work for me either.  Battery goes down by around 10% every 12 hours even after a full shutdown.  I've never known a laptop to behave like this before.  There is certainly a problem with either the hardware or the firmware.  It seems from a Google search this issue is not limited to a few people nor to only this Acer laptop.
  • Arnab94
    Arnab94 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same issue... Everything has been tried.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hello everyone,

The thread will be closed due to its age, if you still have problems with your computer, I invite you to open a new question by clicking "Ask A Question" button at the top right-hand side of the site, so the users of the Acer community can guide you. 

Thank you for your interest and participation in the Acer Support Forums,
    Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.