Nitro AN515-53 Upgrading options

SneakyNinchilla
SneakyNinchilla Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just bought this lovely AN515-53 for a steal (about $600 at a big box retailer, brand new.)

I'm thrilled to find easily upgrading options, like the 2.5 bay and the RAM slots.

My problem is this:  I've been out of the computer arena so long...I'm confused as heck.

I know my max RAM is going to be DDR4, clocked at 2400 and 32gb.  But wait.  Dual channel right?  So can I overkill this sucker with two 32gb in dual channel?  Or does it mean I can't exceed two 16gb dual channel?  What is the absolute working maximum?

As for the 2.5 bay...Oh man.  Options.

I could go hdd, ssd (didn't have those back in my day.)  But that's not all, is it?  We have hybrids now too, with huge cache sizes.  And...apparently this beast is Optane ready, which opens up a whole second option.

Do I care about load times?  Yeah, a little.  I want to enjoy this thing, right?
I REALLY care about capacity.  1tb minimum.

But how do I execute that?  I could try to buy another PCIe SSD upgrade.  Or fill my 2.5 bay.  Or both.

I have no idea how to proceed.

Money is a bit of a factor.  I don't want to be wasteful.  I'll happily throw 150$ at Ram.  Probably comfortable doing the same for storage options.

Can you guys answer the RAM question?

What is a good storage upgrade combo?

Best Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019 Answer ✓
    SneakyNinchilla 

This model has two DIMM socket with supports maximum memory size of 32GB
    Supports DIMM Speed DDR4 2400/2666, DIMM voltage 1.2V, package 260-pin DDR4 SODIMM

The below listed are some of the officially listed memory modules, HHD, SSD, optane modules for this model.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    bgeke said:
    I understand the supported is 2x16. What happens if we fit 2x 32GB (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2666MHz-Memory-Computers-M471A4G43MB1/dp/B07N124XDS). For Dell XPS and HP, people have tested with 32GB sticks and found few models are working. But I couldn't find anyone tested for Nitro (or Helios 300).

Can't be done, the motherboard supports 32gb max, there are plenty of horror stories on this forum about RAM. If you try it and it causes major problems you will have invalidated your Warranty

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    I'm not a hard drive expert so I'll leave that to others but the RAM is my thing. Max would be 2 X 16gb dual channel for 32gb total. Link below to Crucial for guaranteed match to your Laptop
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/nitro-5-an515-53#MEMORYFilters

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019 Answer ✓
    SneakyNinchilla 

This model has two DIMM socket with supports maximum memory size of 32GB
    Supports DIMM Speed DDR4 2400/2666, DIMM voltage 1.2V, package 260-pin DDR4 SODIMM

The below listed are some of the officially listed memory modules, HHD, SSD, optane modules for this model.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• bgeke
    bgeke Member Posts: 7 New User
    I understand the supported is 2x16. What happens if we fit 2x 32GB (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2666MHz-Memory-Computers-M471A4G43MB1/dp/B07N124XDS). For Dell XPS and HP, people have tested with 32GB sticks and found few models are working. But I couldn't find anyone tested for Nitro (or Helios 300).
  • andylb
    Answer ✓
    bgeke said:

Can't be done, the motherboard supports 32gb max, there are plenty of horror stories on this forum about RAM. If you try it and it causes major problems you will have invalidated your Warranty

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• About ssd, this model accepts both an ssd m2 2280 sata 3 and a gen3x4 level of at least 512gb, according to the service manual. Also, I suggest you clone hdd to ssd.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SneakyNinchilla

Tinkerer

So I'm seeing a lot of product recommendations.

What is this "Intel Optane" stuff?  Where would I put one of these modules?  If it replaces something else I'm using, is it better?

Am I to understand that this machine can hold a PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD boot drive, a PCIe Intel Optane module, and a 2.5 SATA?!

I'm booting with SSD, that won't change.  But does Optane help me somehow?  Can it augment HDD?

Here is a more mathematical description of my problem.

2.5 SATA options:                                            Intel Optane:                                                       SSD Boot:
    HDD                                                               Yes                                                                       Keep the same
    SSD                                                                No                                                                        Upgrade
    Hybrid
    None

16 Possible Combinations.  I've already factored in my preference (booting to SSD.)  Everything else would be up to you guys.

Which combinations are redundant?  Which are practical?
  • First: I suggest you opt for a ssd m2 2280, as optane memory will only help with the speed of hdd and not an ssd. Optane memory will hardly influence the speed of a 2.5 "ssd
    Second: you can leave hdd as a backup only.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SneakyNinchilla

Tinkerer

First: I suggest you opt for a ssd m2 2280, as optane memory will only help with the speed of hdd and not an ssd. Optane memory will hardly influence the speed of a 2.5 "ssd
    Second: you can leave hdd as a backup only.
    Okay, so Optane will only help with an HDD setup.  Okay...cool.

So can I add an optane module to my model?  Or does it have to replace my M.2?  If I add one, which HDD 2.5 should I use?  regular or hybrid?
  • Can you enter the exact model of your notebook? Example an515-51-75kz.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SneakyNinchilla

Tinkerer

I've got AN515-53-55G9.  It was purchased at Best Buy, brand new, probably exclusive to them.

My bootable disk drive is a Kingston 
    RBUSNS8154P326GJ1, read by a Realtek PCIe reader.

The RAM I have is, if the sticker is right, a SK hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PCA-2400T-SA1-11.  Made in China.
  • Your model already comes with a ssd m2 2280 of 256gb. I do not see the need to put an optane memory. About hdd, you can choose either a hybrid hd or a 2.5 "hd

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• andylb
    edited September 2019
    I've got AN515-53-55G9.  It was purchased at Best Buy, brand new, probably exclusive to them.

My bootable disk drive is a Kingston RBUSNS8154P326GJ1, read by a Realtek PCIe reader.

The RAM I have is, if the sticker is right, a SK hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PCA-2400T-SA1-11.  Made in China.

RAM and SSD's guaranteed compatible for your exact model by Crucial, I have the Crucial RAM paired with Hynix and it runs great. I don't buy it there, I write down the part number and buy it from Amazon it's cheaper and faster delivery
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/nitro-5-an515-53#MEMORYFilters

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★