NO BOOTABLE DEVICE Nightmare - An515-42-r5ed Nitro 5

jahick420
jahick420 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
I purchased an An515-42-r5ed Nitro 5 running Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago not for the purpose of gaming, but rather with the intent of Music Production instead.

Things were going well enough I suppose...until I got a new MOTU MIDI interface to my setup, which is centered around Ableton Live 10 Standard. The day I started hooking it all up, I found out the MOTU was a dud and it never even powered on, and in addition to that, 2/3 of my USB ports suddenly quit working all together. 

I researched like crazy, then researched some more, trying numerous fixes, from PowerPlan adjustments to driver updates, disabling, enabling, uninstalling, none of which worked whatsoever. Out of desperation, I came across the tip to reset the power system via removing the battery and holding the power button down for 20 seconds to hopefully return power to the 2 ports in question. In the process of doing this, I brilliantly managed to rip the SATA cable off of the Hard Drive completely.

I panicked, then immediately ordered a replacement. The new cable arrived yesterday, and I installed it carefully this morning. I was then pleasantly surprised by the dreaded "No Boot Device" message the second I turned it on...which prompted even more panicking and frantic googling/youtubing looking for the way to fix it. 

I pressed f2 to access BIOS, enabled f12 BOOT, disabled Secure Booting, and got to the part where I was supposed to switch it from UEFI to Legacy...and then came to find out this isnt an option on my laptop, neither is loading a boot disk (no disc drive) and pressing any key. 

I very much need help, this situation has taken multiple turns for the absolute worst, and I dont at all know what to do at this point. 

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019 Answer ✓
    jahick420 said:
    I fixed it, thanks for the help NOBODY lol
    @jahick420

We are not Acer employees we are users just like you giving of our time freely IF we have the answers. Yours was a complex question and frankly quite unusual and this is the Nitro and Aspire GAMING Forum, I don't think many on here have heard of most of the equipment you talked about and I'm sorry that no help was forthcoming. Very happy that you managed to fix it though.
    For the future and I know it's a bit late, the Battery reset on your model is not done by going inside the case and removing the battery. To do the reset, power down and unplug, take a straightened paperclip and put it in the small hole on the underside of the laptop and press for 30 secs, let it rest for 15 mins then plug in and power up.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• jahick420

Tinkerer

• andylb
    edited September 2019 Answer ✓
    jahick420 said:
    @jahick420

We are not Acer employees we are users just like you giving of our time freely IF we have the answers. Yours was a complex question and frankly quite unusual and this is the Nitro and Aspire GAMING Forum, I don't think many on here have heard of most of the equipment you talked about and I'm sorry that no help was forthcoming. Very happy that you managed to fix it though.
    For the future and I know it's a bit late, the Battery reset on your model is not done by going inside the case and removing the battery. To do the reset, power down and unplug, take a straightened paperclip and put it in the small hole on the underside of the laptop and press for 30 secs, let it rest for 15 mins then plug in and power up.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• jahick420

Tinkerer

man, thank you buddy, i apologize for wearing my frustration on my sleeve there...i realized the GAMING forum was more than likely askew from the correct spot, but i thought since it said Nitro 5 it was the closest thing to right.

that information is CLUTCH forreal, I probably wouldve never known that had you not said it. thanks again @andylb
  • andylb
    jahick420 said:
    man, thank you buddy, i apologize for wearing my frustration on my sleeve there...i realized the GAMING forum was more than likely askew from the correct spot, but i thought since it said Nitro 5 it was the closest thing to right.

that information is CLUTCH forreal, I probably wouldve never known that had you not said it. thanks again @andylb

My pleasure m8 and I understand your frustration. I hope all goes well now

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• jahick420

Tinkerer

Do you think executing the power reset the correct way will bring the USB ports back from the dead @andylb
  • andylb
    Ya could give it a go m8. I also seem to remember a thread on USB ports, i'll research it but it may be in the morning before I get back

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    Try this
    Update every USB port under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager
    Uncheck the "Turn off to save power" option in each USB Option under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    Go to battery options and for my current Power Plan:  Power Option -> Advanced Settings -> USB Settings -> Disabled USB Selective Suspend Setting

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• jahick420

Tinkerer

already been done @andylb, but I'll give it another shot in a few after this power reset is complete for sure 
  • andylb
    edited September 2019
    ok m8 keep me in the loop. Also make sure you are running Windows 10 1903, if not update here 
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 click the "Update Now" button

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★