Chromebook SPIN-11 Stylus Not Working - Erratic

MikeMV
MikeMV Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
We recently purchased a SPIN-11, the stylus does not work properly, instead of a solid line it draws an erratic trail of dots. We tried an inexpensive stylus as well as a more expensive stylus. Both stylus work in another identical unit.

Using the finger works perfectly.

Is there anything I can check to try to resolve this issue before sending the unit to Acer? We purchased it at Walmart and the 15 day return period is over.

I already checked that text to speech is disabled, I found a post that mentions that this can cause problems with the stylus.

I will greatly appreciate your response.

Mike.

Answers

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MikeMV
    The model number is CP311-1H-C1FS
  • Did you check the link above?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MikeMV
    Follow Up.

I called Acer technical support last week and spent over one hour with a level 1 technician going everything he could possibly think of to try to resolve the issue, power wash, factory reset 2 different ways, no luck. All along he kept having me look in the list of devices for an entry for the stylus. After the call we looked at the Chromebook of the same exact model in which the stylus works and also there is no entry for stylus in devices either. We basically were looking for something that does not exist. The technician suggested we send it in for repairs, but also suggested that speaking to a level 2 technician would be a good idea.

Today I called in support and after 20 minutes was connected to a level 2 technician. This one did not even try having me check anything, he said that since the unit did not come with a stylus Acer cannot guarantee compatibility and that the unit may come back to us classified as in working order. He ignored the fact that on an identical unit the styluses work fine (3 of them 2 inexpensive and one expensive) also he ignored the fact that this model the SPIN 11 at one time was supplied with a stylus. Perhaps Acer stopped supplying it because they found the unit does not work well with styluses, who knows.  The level 2 technician did have me try to find the "touch screen settings" which do not exist and could not really tell me where he thinks they should be.

In the end the unit is going back for checking and may come back as "yep, the touch screen works, nothing wrong with this unit" If this is the case we are left with the option of selling it at a loss and purchasing another one that works which will definitely not be an Acer. 
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MikeMV
    Than you, I did check the link you provided earlier, the behavior described does  not apply to ours as we are not seeing that. What we see is that 3 different styluses work perfectly in an identical model but do not work in the one we are having a problem with. 

I'll let you know what Acer finds or does not find.
  • Try calibrating the touch screen and pen. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/calibrate-surface-touch-pen-settings
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MikeMV
    Thank you very much for your input. I'll check that tonight when I get home. I am supposed to pack it up and send it to Acer if this helps it would a great surprise.

I guess this is like the control panel in Windows, Chromebook is new to  me, this one is for my daughter's school.
  • Ok! Post the result here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,442 Trailblazer
    I assume your finger works and it's just the stylus with the issue?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MikeMV
    Billsey,

Yes, the finger works, but no the stylus it is as if the stylus is acting as a finger, but not very well. The 3 styluses I tried on this one works perfectly in another identical unit.

Thanks.
  • Have you checked my previous tip?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MikeMV
    Follow up:
    Chromebook went back to Acer, the case was tagged as "repaired" We received the unit, the invoice inside the case said "reloaded OS" no mention of the stylus being tested. It still does not work, same symptoms. 

I am on the phone now with support, I requested to speak with a supervisor, level 1 technician keeps insisting on going down the road of explaining the problem again, something that I already did with 2 technicians at the tune of almost 1.5 hours of my time.

Technician finally agreed to transfer me to a supervisor, but it's been 10 minutes since I was put on hold with no one picking up the line. I think they are playing a stupid game to get me to get tired and give up.

Really frustrating.
  • Could you record a video of the problem?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MikeMV
    Follow up:

Got on the phone with a department "supervisor" Nathan badge 3944911, total waste of time, he just kept parroting "just because the stylus works with one identical computer does not mean it will work with another identical one" He also pointed out that since I was using non-Acer styluses they could not guarantee that it would work. I asked him which Acer stylus model would work and he said we do not have one. I asked then this unit does not work with styluses and his repeated dumb answer was "it may or may not"

I finally had to give up, I asked him for his manager and he said he is the highest person in the department. Done with Acer.
  • That's why it would be interesting to record a video of the problem.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer