VX5-591G Enabling eGPU

JohnCena
JohnCena Member Posts: 460 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
It doesn't show in BIOS, how can I enable eGPU?

Best Answers

• Martinroldam
    Martinroldam Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓
    I would find very hard to eGPU this laptop through thunderbolt since it got just a usb-c on it.
    There are a couple of tutorials on the internet on how to do egpu on m.2 pcie x1, by removing your wifi card and pluging a m.2 pcie x1 to x16 adapter cable, despite being somewhat bandwidth limited it works and it is cheap like 10 - 20 bucks.
    I've personally gone a step beyond. I had bought the m.2 pcie x4 cable adapter from ADT (30 cm in lenght) and conected it on to the m.2 nvme pcie x4 slot on the laptop, than i had tried some couple AMD GPU on it with a external psu for the gpu power conector. It worked really well, no driver nor bios mod needed. I would really recomend going this way, and is fairly easy. You can check the userbench rank page of acer vx5-591g, and you will see mine as the top bench with rx 570 egpu frim a friend of mine. I intend to buy a rtx 2070 super by the end of the year and then i will make a turorial on everything i did and how i dit. 
  • Martinroldam
    Answer ✓
    Hello,
    Since the m.2 NVME slot is on the right side, faced outward, just below the usb 3.0 and usb-c. I've drilled a small square hole (about 2 usb size) on the side of the laptop, and so I do not need to open the laptop in order to do egpu, i just connect the m.2 adapter, just like a usb, it is just far deeper, I've also glued some plastic pieces inside the laptop in order to guide the m.2 adaptar to the m.2 slot. It is realy easy and fast.
    There are a couple of benchmark with the gtx 1080 at a m.2 pcie 3.0 x4, and the diference is negligible at faster fps (<5%), and at 4k (aroud 60 fps) there is literally no difference, with the pcie x4 ahead of the x16 (due to noise itself).
    I intend to play egpu at a external screen at 1440p or even 4k, so with the game at high settings the gpu is usually the bottleneck, maybe even some raytracing :) 
    There is a pic on a hackerspace of the first time I did it.

Answers

• Martinroldam
    Hello.
    What specific kind of eGPU? Thuderbolt, pcie x1 or pcie x4?
    I personaly got EGPU in my device acer VX5 591G 54BF and it works very well.
  • JohnCena
    Hello.
    What specific kind of eGPU? Thuderbolt, pcie x1 or pcie x4?
    I personaly got EGPU in my device acer VX5 591G 54BF and it works very well.
    Can it use Thunderbolt? If no, what can it use for eGPU?
  • Martinroldam
    Answer ✓
    I would find very hard to eGPU this laptop through thunderbolt since it got just a usb-c on it.
    There are a couple of tutorials on the internet on how to do egpu on m.2 pcie x1, by removing your wifi card and pluging a m.2 pcie x1 to x16 adapter cable, despite being somewhat bandwidth limited it works and it is cheap like 10 - 20 bucks.
    I've personally gone a step beyond. I had bought the m.2 pcie x4 cable adapter from ADT (30 cm in lenght) and conected it on to the m.2 nvme pcie x4 slot on the laptop, than i had tried some couple AMD GPU on it with a external psu for the gpu power conector. It worked really well, no driver nor bios mod needed. I would really recomend going this way, and is fairly easy. You can check the userbench rank page of acer vx5-591g, and you will see mine as the top bench with rx 570 egpu frim a friend of mine. I intend to buy a rtx 2070 super by the end of the year and then i will make a turorial on everything i did and how i dit. 
  • JohnCena
    I think this laptop's processor is powerful enough to run a RTX 2070 Super and is there a performance difference between thunderbolt and m.2 pcie 4x ?
  • JohnCena
    And I wonder how you closed laptop's case after doing it.
  • Martinroldam
    Answer ✓
    Hello,
    Since the m.2 NVME slot is on the right side, faced outward, just below the usb 3.0 and usb-c. I've drilled a small square hole (about 2 usb size) on the side of the laptop, and so I do not need to open the laptop in order to do egpu, i just connect the m.2 adapter, just like a usb, it is just far deeper, I've also glued some plastic pieces inside the laptop in order to guide the m.2 adaptar to the m.2 slot. It is realy easy and fast.
    There are a couple of benchmark with the gtx 1080 at a m.2 pcie 3.0 x4, and the diference is negligible at faster fps (<5%), and at 4k (aroud 60 fps) there is literally no difference, with the pcie x4 ahead of the x16 (due to noise itself).
    I intend to play egpu at a external screen at 1440p or even 4k, so with the game at high settings the gpu is usually the bottleneck, maybe even some raytracing :) 
  • JohnCena
    Hello,
    Thanks man! And I wonder can I connect a RTX 2080?
  • Martinroldam
    Hi. I have never tested the newer nvidia nor amd gpus, but it should work just fine. The rx 570 and rx 580 worked real smoothly. I had got some issues with the gtx1070, since it uses the same driver as the gtx 1050 dgpu, and i am still working on it. I kind need a deep deactivation of the dgpu, maybe only viable via bios, not so sure.
  • JohnCena
    This model hasnt got a dGPU on bios sadly
  • SohLinks
    SohLinks Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi. I have never tested the newer nvidia nor amd gpus, but it should work just fine. The rx 570 and rx 580 worked real smoothly. I had got some issues with the gtx1070, since it uses the same driver as the gtx 1050 dgpu, and i am still working on it. I kind need a deep deactivation of the dgpu, maybe only viable via bios, not so sure.
    Ae meu querido qual o adaptador você tem, é o beast, se for, que versão que é?
    E alias é seu o bench com a 2070s no UserBenchmark?
    Estou com um VX5 591G 54BF tbm tenho um rx 570 no meu pc, vou vender o kit placa mae, cpu e ram para um amigo meu, então estou pensando colocar a rx570 no note, não precisou modificar a bios? Vlw

• 86HCPaduanXX
    86HCPaduanXX Member Posts: 7 New User
    How to enable eGPU on VX5 591G?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited February 2020
    How to enable eGPU on VX5 591G?

Please start your own Topic for your question, this Topic is marked SOLVED and give more detail

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• 86HCPaduanXX
    86HCPaduanXX Member Posts: 7 New User
    Hello... finally I unlocked my BIOS, with beast 8.5 ngff plugin to wireless card isn't possible to do eGPU to VX5 591G model?