Charging Acer R13 CB5-312T with a phone charger?

matvey364
matvey364 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all,
Went on holiday with the Chromebook and thought what's the point of taking Chromebooks charger if I can just take my phone charger for Pixel 3 as it is same USB-C. Today decided to charge my chromebook at 70% power.... Anticipating it will just charge slowly....
However it turns out it doesn't really charge at all - charging led goes on for a second and then goes off, them on again in about 20 secs and off again in a cycle. 

I guess there is just not enough voltage/power to charge it with the phone charger? But is it safe to leave it overnight and possibly hope it will charge over long period of time? 

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi!!

@matvey364     

The Pixel phone's power adapter has a maximum output of 18 W (9 V / 2 A). However, the Chromebook's adapter has power output 5V / 3A or 9V / 3A or 12V / 3A or 20V / 2.25A as output power*. This clearly indicates that the phone charger does not give sufficient power output for Chromebook battery to charge. Moreover, It is always recommended to use only provided adapter to charge laptops, instead of using different devices adapter. 
    Finally, it is strictly recommended NOT to use different device adapter to charge Acer Chromebook for whole night. This might may lower battery life. 

* - Indicates different variant model under same series. 

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• kilowattis
    kilowattis Member Posts: 1 New User
    Acer Chromebook R13 CB5-312T 12 charger for a car can you suggest
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    I have several little 80 to 140w 12vdc to 120vac inverters. That may be a simpler route.
  • bluepurch360
    bluepurch360 Member Posts: 4 New User
    you can try search this site for compatible adapters  :)
  • bluepurch360
    there is a website you can search for compatible adapters for laptop, https://www.1centx.com/compatibilitySearch?q=CB5-312T
  • bluepurch360
    there is a website you can search for compatible adapters for laptop, https://www.1centx.com/compatibilitySearch?q=CB5-312T