Aspire 5 A515-51 Will not power on, but is charging.

MasterGracey999
MasterGracey999 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

For almost six months, my Aspire 5 will not power on. When i press the power button, the blue LED comes on for about five seconds and then goes off. There is no noise from it like fans, etc, and the screen doesn't turn on. if it's plugged in, the amber charging LED will illuminate, but when i press or hold the power button, nothing happens but the blue led comes on for a few seconds then goes off. I have tried the battery reset pinhole and that did nothing, and recently i thought the hard drive failed so i bought another one. When i pulled the drive out i powered it on and it started with the acer logo and then said no bootable device, which confirmed my suspicion of a bad drive. When i put the new one in I started it again and it came up again with no bootable device so i put in my flash drive to install windows 10 to the drive, however i did not know how to access the boot menu, so i turned it off again and figured out you have to press f2 while it starts up. I tried that but when i powered on again... nothing. No noise, no screen, just that blue led on for 5 seconds then off, every time i pressed the power button nothing happened. i took the new drive out, nothing. Tried with no drives, nothing. Put the old one back in, nothing!!!!! It is like it forgot how to turn on or something. I have had this computer since christmas 2017, and has worked fine for that year but march 2019 i turned it off one day, and didn't use it for a few days, that is when this all started.
Please help. thanks!

Answers

• Ishy
    Ishy Member Posts: 143 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi, @MasterGracey999Try to do battery reset. Follow the steps below:
    1) Unplug power cable from device.
    2) Close the lid if open then flip it upside down. 
    3) Find small symbol for battery and next to it there should be a small pin hole. 
    4) Use a paperclip or something smaller to press and hold for 10-15 seconds.
    5) Then turn on the device and test the battery.

See if this helps turn on the device.
  • MasterGracey999

Tinkerer

Ishy said:
    Hi, @MasterGracey999Try to do battery reset. Follow the steps below:
    1) Unplug power cable from device.
    2) Close the lid if open then flip it upside down. 
    3) Find small symbol for battery and next to it there should be a small pin hole. 
    4) Use a paperclip or something smaller to press and hold for 10-15 seconds.
    5) Then turn on the device and test the battery.

See if this helps turn on the device.
    Nope, still just the blue led for 5 seconds. Like i said, i have done that before but it didn't do anything and still doesn't. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited August 2019
    Why didn't you trigger the warranty? Also, there were other users with similar problems with this model and the problem was with the keyboard. Do these procedures:
    a) press several keys on the keyboard and with those keys still pressed, press the button power. Do not release the keys and make sure the notebook turns on.
    b) Also check that this button is being properly pressed by placing some layers of electrical tape:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MasterGracey999

Tinkerer

Why didn't you trigger the warranty? Also, there were other users with similar problems with this model and the problem was with the keyboard. Do these procedures:
    a) press several keys on the keyboard and with those keys still pressed, press the button power. Do not release the keys and make sure the notebook turns on.
    b) Also check that this button is being properly pressed by placing some layers of electrical tape:

Still nothing but the Blue LED on for a few seconds after i push power. It is not that switch because when i took the panel off and tested what would happen if i powered it on, nothing happend at all. But with the it pressed, the led came on as it usually did. Are there certain keys i should press, or a certain amount to press? I held a few at random and pushed power whilst holding the same keys and it just did what it always does, blue light for ~ 5 seconds, no screen, no noise.
  • Is your notebook still under warranty?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MasterGracey999

Tinkerer

Is your notebook still under warranty?
    No, the warranty went out almost 2 years ago. and this issue started almost 6 months ago.
  • Have you tried disconnecting rams memories and testing them individually?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MasterGracey999

Tinkerer

Have you tried disconnecting rams memories and testing them individually?
    No. What do you mean by testing the ram? 
  • Check if any of the rams memories are having problems.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MasterGracey999

Tinkerer

Check if any of the rams memories are having problems.
    how am i supposed to test it? just pull the ram out??
  • yes, disconnect both memories. Then plug in only one ram and do the test.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MasterGracey999

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    yes, disconnect both memories. Then plug in only one ram and do the test.
    I only have 1 stick of 4 GB, but i pulled it out and tried but nothing happened except the blue light comes on for 5 seconds like always.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MasterGracey999

Tinkerer

None of that seems to work. i repeatedly press the button the light comes on for 5 seconds, then comes back on since i keep spamming the button. If i hold in the button, the light only comes on when i release the power button, then goes off.
  • DivaCEO
    DivaCEO Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    I have the same issue and no resolution with these steps. I need to get info off of the computer and I have no access to any IT resources. Why did ACER sell this model with so many issues. I am travel abroad and I need help asap-at least how to get the info off of the computer/hard drive.
  • Ideally, you create a new topic. Add me by putting an @.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Xappleyard
    Xappleyard Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Guys!
    I think I fixed my latop, I followed any of the solutions battery reset on the pin hole, put tape on button in ram slot, hold power button like 30seconds, but sadly none worked for me,

I see that in the screen (internally) there are a little magnet in conjuntion with a circuit that in some way put a laptop in sleep and as a technician in our company, many of our employees with this model have the same problem, they said "oh my screen suddenly goes black". Ok I see all of them have smart watches, or some bracelet with type metal, that activate suddenly the sleep mode on the laptop (Acer's engineering was not very good at this time).

Well, you'll need to disassemble the laptop. Not all, just put out the lid, only remove the battery and you will find the circuit that (I think) is guilty of this problem. I put out the flex cable (the white one), cleaned well and his connectors, desmount the circuit, cleaned and put it againt (be careful), then connected all (ram, put lid, hard disk, etc.. ) connect the power cable and press the power button should be work. Hope this helps to someone that have the same problem.

Regards!

• @Xappleyard I think you have a different problem. In your case, you are referring to the HALL SENSOR. It seems that the magnet can interfere with these sensors, which are responsible for turning off the display, when the user lowers the lid.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Rafeeq001
    Rafeeq001 Member Posts: 2 New User
    @JackE
    @Jack22
    @jaclou
    @MaClane
    @MartinJohn00001
    @xapim
    @andylb
    Please help

Still nothing but the Blue LED on for a few seconds after i push power. It is not that switch because when i took the panel off and tested what would happen if i powered it on, nothing happend at all. But with the it pressed, the led came on as it usually did. Are there certain keys i should press, or a certain amount to press? I held a few at random and pushed power whilst holding the same keys and it just did what it always does, blue light for ~ 5 seconds, no screen, no noise.

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Rafeeq001 might probably be faulty hardware if you have already tried everything suggested above

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/