AN515-43 | Can change Hardware reserved RAM?

bgeke
bgeke Member Posts: 7 New User
Hi Friends!

I bought AN515-43 recently. It came with 8GB RAM but only 5.94 GB is usable.

Task Manager > RAM: 2.1 GB is showing as Hardware Reserved. I hope its for Integrated Graphics.

I couldn't find any option in BIOS to change it. Is it possible to change Hardware Reserved size because my applications requires more RAM than graphics.

My Model is showing as AN515-43-R2M9 but it doesn't comes with SSD.
BIOS is 1.03 and I could see 1.04 is released but I have not updated.
Windows 1809 (17763.720)
In System configuration > Boot > Advanced Boot > Everything is unchecked.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• How much ram is dedicated to the graphics card? 
    Resultado de imagem para dedicated video card
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bgeke
    edited September 2019
    Not sure how to get it. I checked in Device Manager but not getting like above one. Below is the one from Radeon settings. I'm still on Radeon 18.

Radeon Overview:
    Radeon Software Version - 18.41.36.01
    Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
    Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics
    Memory Size - 2048 MB
    Memory Type - DDR4
    Core Clock - 1200 MHz
    Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
    System Memory - 8 GB
    CPU Type - AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bgeke
    Thanks for the link. Navigation is slightly changed and I have went there several times.

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019
    bgeke said:
    Thanks for the link. Navigation is slightly changed and I have went there several times.

That is not anything to do with RAM. That is the memory for your Vega 8 dedicated GPU.
    2.1gb of RAM reserved is essential, the system has to reserve what it needs to operate the hardware and programs that run in the background, the remainder of the RAM is available to game etc.. I personally never have less than 16gb of RAM for the exact reason that you ask about.
    16gb RAM - 2.1gb reserved = 13.9gb available which is far better
    The link below is to Crucial and the RAM is specifically for your model and guaranteed to match, buy another 8gb stick. I write down the part number and buy it from Amazon, cheaper and Prime next day delivery
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/nitro-5-an515-43#MEMORYFilters

Please click YES if I have answered your question, yhankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• bgeke
    2.1 GB of reserved is too much. I have used different laptops w/ & w/o Dedicated Graphics and seen very negligible amount reserved for HW. But all those were from Intel. And there are different articles on Internet where it says we can change the reserved capacity.

2GB RAM for Vega 8 allotted from the memory module (RAM stick) right?

Thanks for those crucial link. I do check that for compatibility list. I'm in India but crucial RAMs costs same like the US. Also planning to buy HyperX impact 32GB kit. Otherwise I will go with crucial 32GB kit. The one came with the build is Kingston ACRxxxxx

Updated the Task Manager screen. I don't see option to edit OP or comment.

• andylb
    edited September 2019
    No, in the screen below the 2048 mb refers to Graphics memory not RAM 

This is my RAM usage exact same model as yours with 16gb of RAM, as you can see only 1.1gb is not available

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• mrthaotran88
    mrthaotran88 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Friends!

help me?
  • andylb
    Hi Friends!

help me?

That is because the system needs some RAM reserved to operate and this is normal, you can't change that. Adding RAM is the only answer
    Below is RAM from Crucial guaranteed to match your exact model and it's existing RAM. Buy a single 8gb stick and then you will have 16gb RAM with 
    13.94 gb usable. I write down the part number and buy it from Amazon, cheaper and faster delivery. If I have answered your question please click YES
     https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nitro-5-an515-43/CT15276812

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi Friends!

help me?
    Hi,
    Give this a try and post the results please, go to start and type Run, type msconfig in the Run window, click Boot tab and click Advanced options, untick the boxes for Maximum memory and Number of processors, reboot and check the Hardware reserved memory in Task manager.

• DragoTheNotDead
    DragoTheNotDead Member Posts: 1 New User
    I started with 16 GB of ram in my computer and now I have 24 GB of ram but 16 of it is hardware reserved
  • Mugen01
    Mugen01 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same device(Nitro AN515-43) and I am facing the same problem, is there any solution? I have never faced this situation in other brands of laptops, maybe I don't know about this, but is this normal?
  • It's not a problem. 2gb of ram is available for the amd video card. I suggest that you purchase another ram module.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ShubhamAspire7
    ShubhamAspire7 Member Posts: 3 New User
    It's not a problem. 2gb of ram is available for the amd video card. I suggest that you purchase another ram module.
    It indeed is a problem. Problem of this very specific company. User have option to manage hardware reserved ram, especially for integrated graphics in BIOS. All desktops have this option and Asus laptops also have this option. These options have been locked by this company and thus u can't change it. From next time it should bother to tell customers that "only 6GB ram will be available to use for u guys as we don't give u option to free memory reserved by GPU", which it doesn't, which precisely is a problem. 
  • Rohit267
    Rohit267 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Yeah I am facing the same issue. If there are two Graphics cards, One Vega 8 and another GTX 1650, both has it's own dedicated memory of 2GB and 4GB respectively, then I want to ask what is need of reserving 2.1GB from the RAM?
  • Abusama22
    Abusama22 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Rohit267 said:
    Yeah I am facing the same issue. If there are two Graphics cards, One Vega 8 and another GTX 1650, both has it's own dedicated memory of 2GB and 4GB respectively, then I want to ask what is need of reserving 2.1GB from the RAM?
    GTX 1650 has its own dedicated memory which is 4gb,  but the crappy AMD Vega 8 integrated graphics doesn't have its own dedicated memory (vram)..... thats why it takes 2.1gb out of the main ram as hardware reserved. And unfortunately, maybe there is no way to reduce or fix this 😢.  

This would have been useful if my Nitro 5 laptop didn't have any other gpu except the amd vega 8, but since it DOES have GTX 1650 with 4gb vram, it's illogical and unfair for the amd vega 8 integrated gpu to take up that much of the main ram. 

While even another AMD cpu which is a bit newer, AMD Ryzen 5-4600h present in Nitro 5 2020 (model is maybe AN515-55-53E5 something) 
    this Cpu's integrated graphics DOESN'T take up hardware reserved Ram as much as 
    AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega 8 graphics DOES.  It takes up about 635mb only as hardware reserved only. Intel cpus integrated graphics take much more less.