Chromebook Spin 13 (CP713-1WN-P8MM) has a flashing cursor bug

Gibbons
Gibbons Member Posts: 4 New User
Part Number: NX.EFJEK.021

Here are two videos of the issue I'm having, keep an eye on the top left of the laptop screen:

I have a repeatable issue where if I simultaneously move the cursor over ceartain UI elements while typing with the keyboard or watching a YouTube video the cursor will momentarily appear in the top left of the screen. It happens throughtout the OS. If I don't move the cursor when typing or watching a YouTube video, there is no problem.

I think it might have something to do with how to cursor changes when moving past different elements on the page. Or something to do with how the cursor dissapears when typing, so moving it bugs it out. Not sure. 
Things I've tried:

• I have reset all Chrome settings, removed all extensions and Powerwashed.

• I have tried the stable, beta and developer channel versions. Problem persisits. 

• I have plugged a USB mouse in, and the same behavour occurs. 

• I have disabled and re-enabled the touchpad and touchscreen using Chrome settings, no effect.

• I have tried guest mode, no change.

I'm guessing this is not a hardware fault? Although I'm not sure. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Any help would be appreciated  :)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Common problem with youtube and other streaming videos on chromebooks and Winbooks limited graphics capabilities. The solution you've already discovered --- >>> If I don't move the cursor when typing or watching a YouTube video, there is no problem.>>>.  So give yourself points for solving your own problem. :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    @Gibbons

Try drumroll on the touchpad. this is one of the easiest way to fix touchpad issues in chromebook. Also, alternatively you can try hard reset. To do this disconnect the power source and turn off the device. Now press and hold the refresh key ( 4th key after esc ) and hold power button for 10-15 sec. ( be informed doing this there are chances that it would erase local data ).

Try and share your observations
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Gibbons
    Rudy21 said:
    @Gibbons

Try drumroll on the touchpad. this is one of the easiest way to fix touchpad issues in chromebook. Also, alternatively you can try hard reset. To do this disconnect the power source and turn off the device. Now press and hold the refresh key ( 4th key after esc ) and hold power button for 10-15 sec. ( be informed doing this there are chances that it would erase local data ).

@Rudy21
    Thanks for the specfic suggestions.

I tried both your suggestions but they didn't work. I really do think this is a software issue and not a problem with the hardware. I've relayed it to Google via the "Report an issue" fuction in Chrome OS. Hoping to get a fix/ response.

I can usually put up with things but the flashing cursor is right in my eyeline while doing work. 

I will have to return this laptop if it isn't sorted I think.
  • JackE
    >>>If I don't move the cursor when typing or watching a YouTube video, there is no problem.>>>
    >>>I can usually put up with things but the flashing cursor is right in my eyeline while doing work. >>>

I'm missing something in your videos. I kept my eye on the top left part of the screen in your videos. But saw no cursor '_' flash or even a steady cursor '_' . Perhaps a screenshot with a highlight of the cursor '_' I'm supposed to be seeing would help? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gibbons
    Rudy21 said:
    @Gibbons

@Rudy21
    Thanks for the specfic suggestions.

I tried both your suggestions but they didn't work. I really do think this is a software issue and not a problem with the hardware. I've relayed it to Google via the "Report an issue" fuction in Chrome OS. Hoping to get a fix/ response.

I can usually put up with things but the flashing cursor is right in my eyeline while doing work. I will have to return this laptop if it isn't sorted, unfortunately. 
  • JackE
    ????  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @JackE, @Gibbons is talking about the mouse pointer, not a cursor.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    >>>keep an eye on the top left of the laptop screen:>>>>

Thanks @billsey . But the image below is all I see when playing the whole video. i see nothing but a black background and points of light on the top left of the screen. What am I missing here? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gibbons
    JackE said:
    >>>keep an eye on the top left of the laptop screen:>>>>

Thanks @billsey . But the image below is all I see when playing the whole video. i see nothing but a black background and points of light on the top left of the screen. What am I missing here? Jack E/NJ

@Jack@JackE, the above screenshot exemplifies the issue. As I am moving the mouse/cursor/pointer over the Google Doc page, it is intermittently appearing in the top-left of the corner. There definately is a problem, throughout the OS. 

I have reported the bug to Google. It's weird because I cannot find any mention of a similar issue anywhere online. 
  • JackE
    >>>I cannot find any mention of a similar issue anywhere online.  >>>>

Sorry, I still cannot see it on my screen in your video. Maybe a frame is missing or it's too fleeting for me to see it. I doubt Google will consider it a momentous issue or bug. But good luck in getting an answer from them anyway.   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Davewills1
    Davewills1 Member Posts: 10 New User

Hi gibbons, I have exactly same issue, flashing/disappearing cursor/mouse pointer issue which causes web pages to appear and dissappear and spurious things opening and closing, I've tried everything to no avail, doled u get any fix or solution, mine is 18 months old now but its been doing it since just after I bought it, sadly I didn't take it back because currys customer support is a joke, any more ideas as I'm pulling my hair out. I have tried beta channel, standard channel, power wash several times, it does it straight away after a power wash. Also despite the thing having an hdmi port, in settings in display there is no option to swith the output to an external display screen, so why on earth has it got and hdmi port on side of it? Acer support whats wrong with this piece of junk?

• JackE

>>>I didn't take it back because currys customer support is a joke,>>>

Unfortunate since other Acer forum users seem to have had better luck with them. Since this thread is now over 3 years old, I suggest that you start your own new thread by clicking on the green ask a question button on the upper right side of the page for better exposure on these forums.

Jack E/NJ