Aspire S7 391 compatability with Windows 10 V1809 & V 1903

Pannuccer
Pannuccer Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, I have an Aspire S7 391 with a problem that it frequently hangs/freezes since Windows10 V1809 & V1903 attempted to download upgrades. Both updates failed. The only way to reload is to perform a hard processor reload.  I have spent nearly 3 days with Microsoft IT to attempt to fix the problem.  The last option was to do a complete rebuild and reload V1803.  Even this didn't work successfully. I still have a laptop that doesn't shutdown properly, I have to manually press the power button to shut down the processor.  Microsoft's last suggestion was to take the laptop to their IT/store in Sydney and maybe they can help.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.  Lily

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Perhaps the best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is an ALT+F10 cold boot erase-everything factory re-set as shown in the video below. Next best is trying an ALT+F10 refresh while trying to save your personal files. In either case, a backup is highly recommended before trying it. The ALT+F10 reset/refresh method is a fairly big hammer to try to fix what i think amounts to an annoyance more than a disabling problem at this point. Only you can decide if it's annoying enough to have reached the level of applying the ALT+F10 hammer.     Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MichaelM
    MichaelM Member Posts: 1 New User
    Any other ideas on this issue? I've tried everything suggested, and long ago went with the "Remove Everything" choice, to no avail.

1903 will NOT install on my machine, and I'm happy not to have bricked it yet, with all the power-off resets I've had to perform after watching the update fail (stall) completely.
  • RobDN
    RobDN Member Posts: 1 New User
    I found a solution that has worked for some people on Microsoft's site. Will be trying it myself soon. This problem has been unsolved for over a year until I just found the link shown.  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/5f3f9862-ef7a-4a02-9a44-0bbc71e8d97f/clean-install-of-windows-10-1803-stuck-while-preparing-files?forum=win10itprosetup
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    RobDN>>>I found a solution that has worked for some people on Microsoft's site. Will be trying it myself soon. >>>>

Hope it  works for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dougp
    dougp Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have had the same problem with 1809 and 1903.  I am considering opening and resetting the SSDDs.  I also see freezes in normal W10 1803 operation.  The S7-391 has been a great machine for these past years.  Not sure this is heat related issue or a connection issue or ???
    Thanks for the information; since resetting machine doesn't work ….  Let you know if I open the case.

doug
  • blenray
    blenray Member Posts: 3 New User
    Mine is 7 years old now. I've been told to brick it and by a Microsoft machine. At least they will support it into the future. Good riddance Acer.
  • blenray
    blenray Member Posts: 3 New User
    Ive been told its thevQualtek drivers and they are not updating them.
  • Bughasser
    Bughasser Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi all, I had the same problem  starting with 1803 (updates required several attempts and crashes became more and more frequent, up to every half an hour at the end), so I lost patience, took a big risk and could resolve it at the end ! The problem is obviously the RAID array. Thus:
    1. Find out your Windows 10 key and keep it securely. Backup all your data.
    2. Deinstall all software that controls the key use or the number of installations, such as internet security suites.
    3. Link your ADM account with your Microsoft account (mandatory for reeinstallation procedure).
    4. Dismantle the RAID array in BIOS.
    5. Fully erase both disks and create a single partition on each disk (e.g. C: for system and D: for your data).
    6. Reinstall Windows 10 from scratch using a Windows 10 image, then update to newest build and install all the software you need.
    7. Enjoy a perfectly working system.
    8. Don't forget to backup your system and data regularly.
    I didn't have any problem anymore since I did that about 9 months ago. Of course the big effort (2-3 days) was worth - and much cheaper than a new laptop.