I need to switch boot mode from ufei to legacy, but i cant find an option. Nitro AN515-52

Abhigya
Abhigya Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I am dual booting Ubuntu studio and windows 10, but it won't start. I learned that I need to change boot mode from ufei to legacy. I am using nitro 5.
How to do it? 

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning Abhigya !

What EXACT model of your laptop?
    Legacy mode is no longer used in many versions of Bios because it has become absolute.

To install dual-boot it is totally wrong to use different modes.
    It is perfectly possible (and the ideal way) to install both systems in UEFi.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Abhigya

Tinkerer

I am using Nitro AN515-52, can you please provide some other way for me to install Ubuntu alongside windows? 
  • Abhigya

Tinkerer

I am using Nitro AN515-52, can you please provide some other way for me to install Ubuntu alongside windows? 
  • MaClane
    AN515-52 is the series.
    The EXACT model has a format like this or example: AN515-52-57WR

The basics for installation would be:

1- Login to Bios and disable SecureBoote enable Bootmenu F12
    2- Create a bootable flash drive with Ubuntu x64 ISO

For the USB stick, do the following on CMD as Admin:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk [the drive's dosco number]
    clean
    convert GPT
    create partition primary
    format fs = fat32 quick
    assign

Then extract the ISO to the flash drive.

Disable X startup for Nvidia GPU.
    To do this, press the "e" key and type at the prompt:
    nouveau.nomodeset = 0
    After, press F10

4- Just proceed with the installation

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Abhigya

Tinkerer

What will be the effect of disabling x startup for Nvidia GPU? Will the graphic card  still function? 
  • Abhigya

Tinkerer

I didn't understand how to disable x startup. Can you please provide stepwise instructions on how to disable and enable it? 
  • MaClane
    Abhigya said:
    What will be the effect of disabling x startup for Nvidia GPU? Will the graphic card  still function? 

Abhigya said:
    I didn't understand how to disable x startup. Can you please provide stepwise instructions on how to disable and enable it? 
    It was explained exactly how to do it here:

Disable X startup for Nvidia GPU.
    To do this, press the "e" key and type at the prompt:
    nouveau.nomodeset = 0
    After, press F10

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Abhigya

Tinkerer

In windows? 
    I don't understand what an "e" Key is. 
    Ubuntu is not booting up, if you mean something on the terminal. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Abhigya>>>I am dual booting Ubuntu studio and windows 10, but it won't start. I learned that I need to change boot mode from ufei to legacy. I am using nitro 5. How to do it?  >>>

Please do not post multiple threads on the same issue. You can NOT dual boot in Legacy mode. If you tried to install Ubuntu in legacy mode, your Windows system and recovery partitions are now probably lost. Ubuntu must be installed alongside Windows in UEFI mode only. It must also be prepared as an iso from a GPT partitioned USB installation USB stick with Rufus freeware. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    During the Ubuntu installation, from the home screen, press the letter E on the keyboard to open an instance of Terminal.
    In it type nouveau.nomodeset = 0
    After, press F10

As already stated, both Windows and Ubuntu must be set to UEFi

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™