Gateway DX4860 drivers for Fall Creators update

BBarker123
BBarker123 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
When will Gateway DX4860 drivers for Fall Creators update be available for download?  Anyone know?  Microsoft says I have to get them from Gateway and then Gateway website refers me back to Microsoft..........lol. I have turned off Update Service temporarily to stop the download until I can get the drivers.  I've tried to run the update 5 times now and it locks up on reboot and gives me a black screen with no mouse.

Answers

• Leangreen
    Leangreen Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem with my DX4860. Does anyone have an answer as to when or if drivers will be available?
  • BBarker123

Tinkerer

I was in chat with MS today and I have INTEL drivers for my display graphics.  There WAS an update for them, this week, that I just installed today.  I am downloading the Fall Creators Update right now and will try it again.  I'll let you know if that fixes it.  Wish US luck, lol.  Acer only has downloadable drivers for NVIDIA graphics board so far.  Nothing for Intel yet.
  • HockeyNight
    HockeyNight Member Posts: 2 New User
    When will Gateway DX4860 drivers for Fall Creators update be available for download?  Anyone know?  Microsoft says I have to get them from Gateway and then Gateway website refers me back to Microsoft..........lol. I have turned off Update Service temporarily to stop the download until I can get the drivers.  I've tried to run the update 5 times now and it locks up on reboot and gives me a black screen with no mouse.

I had the same issue.  i couldnt update past 81% and woke up to a black frozen screen every morning ...i tried 1000 times.. thought it was my drivers.  it was not.   if you are still having trouble updating take out your wireless network card. its one screw.  then update.  i dont normally post but i created an account for this spicific issue. i havent tried reinstalling the card but forsee no issues if i did. the wireless card was 100 % the cause of not being able to install the mandatory creators  update on my dx4860.  i hope this helps someone.  

• HoosierCatDaddy
    HoosierCatDaddy Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2018
    I just completed the update, finally! Uninstalled the wireless network adapter and did the install from a USB stick without checking for updates. Shutdown, then reinstalled the card. Upon rebooting, the card was nowhere to be found. No drivers. Did a bit of research and found that the drivers are from Ralink. Here's where I found it:

www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/gateway/laptops-desktops/dx4860/385

There we're 3 choices for the wireless drivers and I chose the one at the top; the latest one. Ran the setup program and it worked great. Computer is up and running and wireless is working flawlessly. Hope this helps. 
  • matthiash
    matthiash Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I had a similar issue with a M1935 desktop, removing the wifi card was also the solution. I performed the upgrade offline after I downloaded the Windows 10 iso file using the Media Creation Tool. The wifi card was replaced by a newer one from D-Link. PC is fully up to date and works perfect now.
  • Sarcasm69Strong
    Sarcasm69Strong Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a Gateway DX4860 that had Windows 7 on it when purchased. Did the Windows 10 free up grade whenever it became available. Turns out that my Gateway DX4860 was only compatible up to Windows 8.1. My unit has the Gateway case but inside uses an Acer motherboard (don't know if that matters I guess not). I now have issues when Windows 10 attempts a long update it will download to 75 - 82% complete then the computer freezes and I have to power it off then it reboots and retrieves previously installed software. It does this now several times a week now. Did "live chat" with Microsoft and they pointed out that my system would only support Windows 8.1. They recommended I go to Gateway to get a Windows 10 "Update Patch". Gateway for whatever reason (could be age of unit related) does not offer Windows 10 update drivers for my model DX4860. Is my best bet just to buy a new computer?
  • dimz20
    dimz20 Member Posts: 1 New User
    DX4860
    After uninstalling the Wi-Fi Card from the motherboard, I was able to use the normal windows update assistant to successfully install the fall creators update on the first try. I did not need the Wi-Fi anyway since I use the ethernet port.

Potential solution then is to do direct ethernet connect to router so you can update the windows normally without the media creation tool.

Good luck!
  • BBarker123

Tinkerer

Ok, Microsoft told me it was my graphics but some of you here are saying it's the WiFi card.  So..........I'm ordering an $8 USB WiFi that works for Win10 off of Amazon and see if I can uninstall the drivers for my current WiFi card and hope that works.  It's been 3 months now and still not there after searching net for driver updates outside of Gateway website since they are not current yet with my model.  I finally was able to find a couple of them but I'm assuming that at some point my hardware will be so out of date that updates will no longer be offered, heavy sigh.
  • Genekim
    Genekim Member Posts: 1 New User
    I also created an account so that I could report back positive results after removing my unused wireless network card. On my Gateway DX4860, it was an easy one-screw removal (The card is labeled WLAN and is from Anatel). For months I couldn't upgrade to the latest Windows version. I'd turn on my screen in the morning and all I would see is a gray screen. I'd re-boot the computer twice which would eventually revert the system back to the older Windows version (which for me worked just fine!). But eventually I'd have to go through all this again, (even after turning off upgrades in Windows). I had had it and called Microsoft. They escalated my issue to a Tier 2 support person, who said he knew about the issue and told me that there are no driver updates available for my older computer, which I verified on the Gateway website. Reluctantly, I was about ready to invest in a new computer, although there was nothing wrong with mine as far as I was concerned! (I had already installed a 2GB hard drive an an SSD drive and loved the way it was running.)
       It was then that I happened upon this thread and I "voila"! It worked!
      This written July 7, 2018. I started with version 1607 and was able to update to 1803.  

• drjohnnyfever
    drjohnnyfever Member Posts: 4 New User
    I also created an account so I could report that taking the Anatel WLAN card out of my DX4860 solved the problem of being able to install updates from Microsoft.  My problem was that the PC would not go completely thru the restart or shutdown process.  The spinning dots would eventually freeze, computer activity ceased, and I'd have to do a hard restart with the pc's power button.  Totally maddening.  The computer worked fine other than the failure in many updates due to the hangs during restart or shutdowns.  Furthermore, the initial install of Windows 10 from Windows 7 Home Pro was a similar debacle of failures.

I happened upon this site when I began searching the computer model number in the past several weeks.  The removal of the card has enabled me to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Home with no problems, but one...

A MS graphics update has disabled my onboard HDMI port.  I can install the old drivers and it begins working again, but when prompted to "restart" I do, but the driver change doesn't "stick."  It reverts back to the driver that came with the most recent Windows 10 update.

I still very pleased with this nearly 10 year old pc.  I know there is a solution to the HDMI issue, but I just haven't found any way to made the old drivers stick with the most recent updates.

Anyway, here's another appreciative guy that found this thread and solved his update and restart/shutdown problems.  Many thanks!
  • drjohnnyfever
    drjohnnyfever Member Posts: 4 New User
    I wound up getting a new video card that installed and works without conflicts.  I have not reinstalled a WLAN card as I have wired connection

New issue... the below update has failed a dozen times.  Gets to 7% and restarts, then uninstalls failed update.  The PC is running fine after getting the most recent update as described in the previous post, but now this one simply won't.  And there is another update to this one that has failed too.

July 26, 2019—KB4505903 (OS Build 18362.267)